Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-05-2020, 11:43   #16
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
Should this not be in the Terrorism forum?
Define terrorist- Michael Collins- Che-Tom Barry-
Raf Bomber Harris
Franco
Eamonn De Valera. Etc rtc
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 11:47   #17
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rows Grower View Post
I'm very proud of my heritage but credit where it's due you have to hand it to the Rangers fans for the chant they would sing at the Old Firm games at the time.
I respect all war dead be in Irish republican or British war dead,
But what I can't understand is Irishmen ( plastic paddies mostly) who are ashamed of how we became what we are,it wasn't around a table in Dublin castle, but in ditches and country roads, street corners awaiting the enemy from Cork to Donegal and Dublin to Galway
(3) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 12:11   #18
Jim2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
Read some of your previous posts,you're anti republican very biased ,anti Crosbarry/ kilmichael/ 1981hunher strike commerations , embarrassed by your Irish roots living in Devon?
Those who died/ served their time for Irish freedom deserve to be remembered despite shauneens like yourself,
Kilmichael etc happened and you reap the benefits.
The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 12:33   #19
antgal23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
The likes of Bobby Sands had no mandate to kill anyone and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the men and women of the war of independence. And before you ask, I am a Republic, one that respects the decisions of the Irish people and one that signed up in 1981 to defend the Irish State against terrorists.

You brainwashed brand of republicanism is not the only flavour in town.
After 50 years of being treated like third class citizens NoI Catholics asked for equal rights. The British backed Protestant / Loyalist RUC attacked this peaceful request for rights.

No human being with any dignity would stand back and let this happen.

Meanwhile, the 26 counties stood by and watched.

So, before we start branding people let's get some context first.
08-05-2020, 12:38   #20
CrankyHaus

In the context of British oppression, contemporary and historic, it's difficult to imagine how the War of Independence could have been fought by the IRA with any more restraint and decency than it was. Just compare it with similar national liberation struggles in history and their all-too-common atrocities.

In the same vein the restraint shown by the nascent Irish State in overturning the old economic and social order and the enormous privileges of the Anglo-Irish ascendency was remarkable, so much so that many Republicans felt betrayed and saw it as little more than changing the colour of the post boxes from red to green. Again compare this to other post-colonial states and their (often disastrous) appropriations of property and wealth to amend the vast inequalities remaining from colonialism. It's sad that despite this a small but vocal group of hypocrites are given platforms to slander the founders of this state as vengeful sectarians.

The British public, to their credit, also had an aversion to the repressive methods employed in their name in Ireland. For instance Churchill's opponents in subsequent elections raised his responsibility for the Black and Tans to erode his support and in response his wife circulated pamphlets crediting him for the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This was when he was campaigning as a Conservative candidate for an English electorate.
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 12:57   #21
antgal23

I think a lot of people particularly down here miss the significance of historical events in the rise of Republicanism on the island

1916 was the result of the Fenians who in turn were greatly influenced by the The Great Hunger ( a man made event by London)

70s Republicanism in the NoI was a result of partition ( again a man made event by London)

I'm not blaming sides on what has happened here but trying to connect dots to understand people's actions

We have a shared history regardless of flag colour
(2) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 13:52   #22
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg Munde View Post
Should this not be in the Terrorism forum?

AH - It certainly doesn't belong in here.
08-05-2020, 21:13   #23
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyHaus View Post
In the context of British oppression, contemporary and historic, it's difficult to imagine how the War of Independence could have been fought by the IRA with any more restraint and decency than it was. Just compare it with similar national liberation struggles in history and their all-too-common atrocities.

In the same vein the restraint shown by the nascent Irish State in overturning the old economic and social order and the enormous privileges of the Anglo-Irish ascendency was remarkable, so much so that many Republicans felt betrayed and saw it as little more than changing the colour of the post boxes from red to green. Again compare this to other post-colonial states and their (often disastrous) appropriations of property and wealth to amend the vast inequalities remaining from colonialism. It's sad that despite this a small but vocal group of hypocrites are given platforms to slander the founders of this state as vengeful sectarians.

The British public, to their credit, also had an aversion to the repressive methods employed in their name in Ireland. For instance Churchill's opponents in subsequent elections raised his responsibility for the Black and Tans to erode his support and in response his wife circulated pamphlets crediting him for the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This was when he was campaigning as a Conservative candidate for an English electorate.
Great post
08-05-2020, 21:17   #24
not yet

Quote:
Read some of your previous posts,you're anti republican very biased ,anti Crosbarry/ kilmichael/ 1981hunher strike commerations , embarrassed by your Irish roots living in Devon?
Those who died/ served their time for Irish freedom deserve to be remembered despite shauneens like yourself,
Kilmichael etc happened and you reap the benefits.
I Think your looking for the phrase that starts with west and ends with brit..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2020, 21:18   #25
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgal23 View Post
I think a lot of people particularly down here miss the significance of historical events in the rise of Republicanism on the island

1916 was the result of the Fenians who in turn were greatly influenced by the The Great Hunger ( a man made event by London)

70s Republicanism in the NoI was a result of partition ( again a man made event by London)

I'm not blaming sides on what has happened here but trying to connect dots to understand people's actions

We have a shared history regardless of flag colour
My best friend in Cork is C of
Ireland
Without dissenters/ Presbyterians we'd have had no 1798 rebellion, (maybe no fenians who knows)
My youngest is called after Kevin Barry, Bobby ( Sands) and Francis ( Hughes,)
A name i hope will always remind him and those who meet and greet him remember who he's called after.
Hes Kevin Barry Bobby Francis D***"*
So it's not a Catholic v Protestant thing at all but the writing is on the wall reference UI, it's coming
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 21:21   #26
not yet

Little known fact, Bobby Sands wrote back home in Derry.

It makes me proud we had men like him to stand against British Imperialism.
(4) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 21:32   #27
Fuascailteoir

I recently saw a video of his granddaughter singing in a pub. How time flies that he would have been a grandparent at this stage. Is an interesting documentary about him prior to the troubles and the soccer team he played on which had a mixture of Catholics and Protestants. When the troubles came there was an inevitable split

That doc is on YouTube and is called old scores

Last edited by Fuascailteoir; 08-05-2020 at 21:50.
(4) thanks from:
08-05-2020, 22:08   #28
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuascailteoir View Post
I recently saw a video of his granddaughter singing in a pub. How time flies that he would have been a grandparent at this stage. Is an interesting documentary about him prior to the troubles and the soccer team he played on which had a mixture of Catholics and Protestants. When the troubles came there was an inevitable split

That doc is on YouTube and is called old scores
Saw that she sang "Grace" if I remember correctly
I never met a Protestant from Derry until I started travelling to Romania in the 90s there we worked in orphanages/ aids clinics etc drank and ate together, good for both sides of the divide, until then the only Protestant id met were cops raiding, or screws whilst visiting tbe H blocks, and Maghaberry prison

Last edited by corks finest; 08-05-2020 at 22:13.
08-05-2020, 22:16   #29
Class of 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by not yet View Post
Little known fact, Bobby Sands wrote back home in Derry.

It makes me proud we had men like him to stand against British Imperialism.
I thought that was a well known fact. Anyone who is a fan of Christy would/should know where the song came from.
Thanks from:
08-05-2020, 22:17   #30
mfceiling

Quote:
Start of our darkest period in modern Irish history, 5/5/81
Bobby Sands
I was living in Derry at the time, attended Kevin Lynch's and Patsy O'Hara's funerals etc,
awful awful awful time
I worked with Kevin Lynch's nephew for years. I'm from the north with a protestant father and catholic mother. No religion in our house.
He took a fair while to warm to me but we became great pals. He would have given me the shirt from his back. We never discussed politics (I've no interest) but we had loads of shared interests.

Hopefully the peace becomes stronger in the north and the youth will drive the hatred away for ever.
(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed