Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Chinese Lessons

• 21-01-2005 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know of how I might find someone to teach me Chinese? I'd be interested in teaching English in exchange if that would be suitable. I'm in Cork.

Many thanks,

Nick

Edit: I'm a complete beginner although I did learn Japanese for a short time if that's at all relevent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭leonliang

I do want to teach someone Chinese and learn English in return, but I am in Dublin, Sorry mate :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Well you could move to the European capital of culture... It's your calling........

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

This crowd are in Belfield, Dublin (UCD), but you might try emailing them to see if they could recommend someone in Cork:

http://www.theasianinstitute.com/frame2.htm

By Chinese, by the way, do you mean Mandarin or Cantonese?

There's also a Chinese forum here - look under Soc/Languages/Chinese.

And you could always look for a job in a local shop where Chinese people work (if it's a Chinese takeaway they probably speak Cantonese - check first) and get them to help you as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ahem. Didn't notice we *were* in the Chinese forum. Oops!

The other thing: look in the library for Pimsleur Chinese tapes - very good intro.

Ah great stuff, many thanks for that! I'd be going for Mandarin. A friends wife (she is Chinese) has said she would be happy be happy to teach me in a few months time, so I might hold out till then!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kefu

Leonliang. I was also interested in learning Chinese if you're still looking for someone to teach. I could pay or help you with your English. Have not done any Chinese before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 qqforum

Hi, kefu
    May Zhang here, if you are still intersted in Chinese language learning, let me know, I am living in Cork, we can arrage the time at our both convenience if you like.

May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

WOW,you would like to study chinese ,congratulations!but Unfortunately i am not interested in teaching someone chinese.sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

gilbert wrote:
    WOW,you would like to study chinese ,congratulations!but Unfortunately i am not interested in teaching someone chinese.sorry about that
    Well then, why did you post this message up? This thread is for people interested in teaching Meatproduct (or infact anyone else) Chinese, not for people who aren't. Consider this your first and final warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stiny!

hey,
    It's kinda strange, I was about to post something on this board but then I noticed Meatproduct's situation is almost identical to mine. I would really like to learn Chinese, I'm a complete beginner and I also have a bit of Japanese. The only difference is that I'm living in Kerry (Tralee in fact :( ) But if anybody in the area is willing to teach, I'm happy to learn :)

• Advertisement

Well if you would be on for it then maybe we could get lessons together if someone was willing to teach us. I wouldn't mind driving.

Anyone interested in teaching at all?

Nick
    Stiny! wrote:
    hey,
    It's kinda strange, I was about to post something on this board but then I noticed Meatproduct's situation is almost identical to mine. I would really like to learn Chinese, I'm a complete beginner and I also have a bit of Japanese. The only difference is that I'm living in Kerry (Tralee in fact :( ) But if anybody in the area is willing to teach, I'm happy to learn :)

:o I could teach, I am currently studying in CIT for Master Degree in Computer, if you don't mind driving to Cork, I 'd like to teach.
    contact me at this email address: zhangqian@online.ie

Sorry, my schedule is a bit too hectic at the moment to drive to Cork. Maybe I'll ask in one of the local Chinese restaurants or something. Thanks anyway :)

Also, to add to my last point, if there is anyone in the Kerry area who can also play the erh-hu (that's right, isn't it?) it would be a big bonus because I bought one in chinatown in SF and I'm still trying to figure out how not to make it screech like a cat being tortured everytime I touch it :D
    I know I'm probably asking a bit too much now, but I figure it's worth a try, right? :)

:confused: If no mistake, Er-Hu you mentioned is stringed instrument, that is a traditonal Chinese instrument, that is hard to play, you might see someone playing that before maybe on TV somthing, but here, hard to find someone to play it, you can find people in tubal and stringed instrument playing bands come from China maybe.

I am living in a small town called Carrigdrohid, Macroom. If you think it's near you, you can contact me later, maybe I can drive you home after each time lesson. Anyway good luck to your Er-Hu learning.

I was looking for china town in Cork, could you tell where it is?

Stiny! wrote:
    Sorry, my schedule is a bit too hectic at the moment to drive to Cork. Maybe I'll ask in one of the local Chinese restaurants or something. Thanks anyway :)

Also, to add to my last point, if there is anyone in the Kerry area who can also play the erh-hu (that's right, isn't it?) it would be a big bonus because I bought one in chinatown in SF and I'm still trying to figure out how not to make it screech like a cat being tortured everytime I touch it :D
    I know I'm probably asking a bit too much now, but I figure it's worth a try, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

qqforum wrote:
    I was looking for china town in Cork, could you tell where it is?
    AFAIK, there's no China Town in Cork.

oops, I suppose I should have mentioned that it was chinatown in San Francisco :)
    It is pretty hard to play. The half-tones are very close together so you need really small fingers. I saw a video of some chinese group (i think they were the 12 girl group or something like that) and a bunch of them were playing Er-hus. I just think it has an amazing sound for such a small and simple-looking instrument. But that's just me, I've always had a fascination with odd instruments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CorkHick

hey just wondering do you still teach mandarin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ishay

CorkHick wrote: »
    hey just wondering do you still teach mandarin

Hello! I am new to here and Ireland.

I can teach Chinese or do language exchange. I learn Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)but can read Simplified ones.
    I would love to explore and enjoy the beauty of Ireland.
    I'v been thinking a long time to go Ireland and finally I make it this year.Probably stay for 1 year or longer.
    Glad to find this place.
    Feel free to contact me. Would love to make friends here.

Cheers =)

• Advertisement
Advertisement