Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do so many people want to devoid life of a spiritual meaning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of athiests and non spiritual individuals seem to love to attack the beliefs of others.
    I know that some people who do believe may rub some people up the wrong way but in my experience, it's a lot more prevalent seeing people who aren't spiritual bothering the spiritualistic.
    Ricky Gervais is one example. Fair enough if you don't believe but why feel the need to talk bad about something that is very important to some people.

I think it's more a case of religious people being far too sensitive, and not being able handle any critique of their faith... or heaven forbid (:p) anyone should direct some humour at their oh-so-very-serious religion!

Gervais is very good at highlighting many of the absurdities within religion... He's not "talking bad" about religion. He's just doing what observational comedians do... observe contradictions and oddities within certain subject matter, and then use that to get a laugh!

The reason many religious people take offence, is because the things he highlights are actually quite embarrassing for anyone who happens to take these religions seriously!

And why should religion be excluded from ridicule anyway? If I told you that tree out in my back garden was talking to me, and telling me how to live my life... you would be well within your rights to ask me for some sort of evidence of my wild claims... and I would expect to be the butt of a few jokes, if I failed to provide you with said evidence...

But if it's a burning bush in some ancient book... apparently it's off limits for criticism or humour? :rolleyes:

Religious folk need to grow a thicker skin... and get used to religion/faith being the fuel for many jokes. It's part of our evolution as a species. We need to pull apart old practices and traditions - and yes often make fun of them too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

upupup wrote: »
    Johnny the fiddle player kicked the devils ass!

"The Devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat
    And he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet
    Johnny said, "Devil, just come on back if you ever wanna try again
    I done told you once--you son of a bitch--I'm the best there's ever been."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzuYKwIcuKk

kudos to you. I was only listening to that track yesterday. It actually briliant. Now with exception to johhny. The rest of your country and western folk say your prayers ole nick is waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fourier wrote: »
    This makes very little sense to me.

The fact that there are people who think science is superior to spirituality is why we have people like Greta Thunberg?

People then won't listen to what she says, which mostly aligns with what scientists say, because of what? Because there is a growing number of people who think science is superior so that's not a reason to seriously take in evidence of what needs to be done about Global Warming (makes little sense)? Or because a UK scientist from another discipline was hypocritical (also makes little sense)?

I don't really get the link between the three groups here, it just seems like a grab bag of vaguely related current events.

It goes back to the point the opening poster was making in pointing out that there is a growing number of people with an almost cult like fervour for attempting to associate their beliefs with science, showing that by doing so, they have very little understanding of what science actually is (and indeed what it isn’t), very similar to cult-like behaviour which would more often be associated with religious fervour in promoting their beliefs by historically associating their beliefs with religion as an authority which should be shown deference.

That’s why I used the example of Greta Thunberg as an example of this kind of deference to authority, she doesn’t say listen to her, she says listen to the scientists, as though science is the ideology, and scientists are the moral authority. It’s analogous to the idea of Jesus as a child preaching that people should listen to the word of God, with religion being the ideology, and God being the moral authority.

The reason I gave the example of the scientist who the Government in the UK were listening to, was to make the point that scientists themselves are not an infallible authority, that by his own actions he undermined his own authority, and even in announcing his resignation from his Government position, he continued to promote misleading information which given his expertise in the area, he had to have known was simply false -

In a statement to CNN, Ferguson said he accepted he made "an error of judgement and took the wrong course of action," and had therefore stepped back from his involvement in SAGE.

"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms," he said.

"I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic.

"The government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us."

His explanation as a justification for his behaviour doesn’t sound to me like someone who has even the most basic grasp of epidemiology, and considering his position, that is indeed scary. Would I trust him? No, and that is the danger of promoting scientists and science as having the capacity to inform discussions which relate to morality. Science doesn’t have any meaningful basis to inform morality any more than religion does.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

The reason many religious people take offence, is because the things he highlights are actually quite embarrassing for anyone who happens to take these religions seriously!

And you've just tried to make your point by doing exactly what I said happens.
    You just insinuated that faith is something that shouldn't be taken 'seriously'.

There's a difference between humour and disrespect. I'm a practicing Catholic and find Fr Ted very funny. That's humour.

Tbh I am still a fan of Ricky Gervais' comedy. I just think that he has an obsession to 'prove that God doesn't exist' which is ridiculous. He doesn't believe, so be it. I'm not trying to force him to believe but he seems to have to force believers to stop believing.

Has nothing to do with being too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

That’s why I used the example of Greta Thunberg as an example of this kind of deference to authority, she doesn’t say listen to her, she says listen to the scientists, as though science is the ideology
    I don't see how saying to listen to an expert in a subject is an "ideology" or "cultlike" unless one strains the meanings of cult and ideology beyond their normal meaning.

If somebody told me to listen to what my cardiologist was telling me, an example of appealing to an expert, that's hardly an ideology or cultlike. It's just listening to an informed expert.
    His explanation as a justification for his behaviour doesn’t sound to me like someone who has even the most basic grasp of epidemiology, and considering his position, that is indeed scary. Would I trust him? No, and that is the danger of promoting scientists and science as having the capacity to inform discussions which relate to morality. Science doesn’t have any meaningful basis to inform morality any more than religion does.
    Again to me this is very confused.

We cannot be 100% sure that somebody is correct in any given area. However the large scale evidence informed conclusions of the majority of experts, e.g. in climate science, should be seriously considered. They are not analogous to the single recommendations of one individual.

Of course science can inform morality by discovering pertinent facts. I think your point is better made by saying science cannot dictate morality. If science cannot inform morality you are basically saying facts cannot inform morality, since science is simply a method for accruing fact, and that makes little sense to me.

Finally of course religion has a basis to inform morality (if you accept it). In many religions the faith directly proscribes and makes moral claims.

• Advertisement

And you've just tried to make your point by doing exactly what I said happens.
    You just insinuated that faith is something that shouldn't be taken 'seriously'.

There's a difference between humour and disrespect. I'm a practicing Catholic and find Fr Ted very funny. That's humour.

Tbh I am still a fan of Ricky Gervais' comedy. I just think that he has an obsession to 'prove that God doesn't exist' which is ridiculous. He doesn't believe, so be it. I'm not trying to force him to believe but he seems to have to force believers to stop believing.

Has nothing to do with being too sensitive.

Well in all fairness now, if people of faith can preach and attempt to bring new people into their particular faith (which a great many still do - and always have)... then why can't Ricky Gervais try to recruit people over to his side of the fence?

I don't see the problem with an atheist trying to convince people to turn away from religion... it's fundamentally no different to a religious person preaching their views/way of life!

It's a free world - we can each choose which path we prefer.

I think what bothers many people about famous atheists, is that they are very influential... so when they critique religion or make fun of it... it does have a significant impact on those people who were perhaps undecided on the topic.

But what's wrong with that? If a famous and influential atheist can make some strong arguments against religion... good for them. And if that creates more atheists as a consequence... fair play. What's the problem? It's a hearts and minds issue... if these particular religions are lacking influential figures of their own, and are struggling to compete... that's their problem.

I used to love listening to the late great Christopher Hitchens... his ability to tear religion apart, and entertain the crowd at the same time. It was amazing to watch.... Most of the religious people he was locking horns with, were boring and bland characters... it's hardly surprising that so many people are turning away from faith in favour of atheism! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey Gretas Gonna Get Ya!,
    I know you think you are being clever but it's becoming really obvious at this point you're sh*t stirring :pac:

I used to love listening to the late great Christopher Hitchens... his ability to tear religion apart, and entertain the crowd at the same time. It was amazing to watch.... Most of the religious people he was locking horns with, were boring and bland characters... it's hardly surprising that so many people are turning away from faith in favour of atheism!

It is different imo because peoples faith is very important to them. I genuinely don't know one athiest who says that aspect is important to them.

If I mocked your family, would that be ok?
    No, it wud be disrespectful. A lot of people hold their faith just as important. Which is why I don't like Gervais' approach. It's needless.
    Now people are allowed to disagree of course but it comes back to respect.

Gervais is just a sneering idiot for the most part too..the fact that he's being held up as an example of intelligent atheism doesn't say much..

The office was kind of funny, but he's only one character, based on laughing at those less fortunate really..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I can't see what all the fuss is about. Whether you believe or don't believe is god. I mean if we where partaking in a good old fashion orgy, would you really care what anybody believed in. When were all naked and going at it like hammer and tonges who cares what about beliefs. And forget about the christians in the orgy the ones with the contraceptives. That could be anybody practising safe sex

• Advertisement

Hey Gretas Gonna Get Ya!,
    I know you think you are being clever but it's becoming really obvious at this point you're sh*t stirring :pac:

It's called having an opinion.

Calling me a troll, is just a lazy way of not needing to respond to any points made! :P
    It is different imo because peoples faith is very important to them. I genuinely don't know one athiest who says that aspect is important to them.

No, it wud be disrespectful. A lot of people hold their faith just as important. Which is why I don't like Gervais' approach. It's needless.

Plenty of atheists and agnostics consider their lack of faith/religion to be deeply important to their way of life... not to mention how they view the world.

But most atheists don't tend to be as easily offended as people of faith. I think it's a hang-up from when religion was still this great big sacred cow that nobody would dare criticise or make fun of... many of you guys would like to return to those more austere times in history. But those days are over. (at least in the west anyway)

Religion is fair game for humour and critical analysis. And so it should be!

Like I said, you need to grow a thicker skin. If you are going to make some of the wild claims that religions make... and not back those claims up with a shred of evidence... then you need to be prepared for ridicule/criticism/comedy etc etc... is completely natural. :)

Greta's but can you do that with respect and without the nasty mockery?

I don't agree with most of Islam but I don't go around making crude remarks which is my point.

Its not hard to have a respectful debate when it involves something that is really important to peoples core beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Is mocking an unproven god the same as mocking your family?

jobeenfitz wrote:
    Is mocking an unproven god the same as mocking your family?

You say unproven but to the person in question, they are very much real.

It's called having an opinion.

Calling me a troll, is just a lazy way of not needing to respond to any points made! :P

The bs is strong in this one :pac:
    Cause the whole not responding to my points is all Shi*e. Cheap poor man retort to deflect. I know because I've used it myself before.

You have your stick out bating others and you'll just hide behind "well, it's my opinion" - but we both know the story don't we ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Btw, Happy 90th birthday to one of the best known atheists there is, Clint Eastwood
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Religion of science lol

You say unproven but to the person in question, they are very much real.

I only say unproven because there is no proof of God, whatever your religion. How can I mock something that doesn't exist.

I used to be a Catholic when I was young because my parents were Catholic. The people I loved and most adults in my life believed.

It was also a nice warm feeling that there was something to look forward to after death. Especially when someone you love dies.

There are many reasons to want to believe but alas this does not make it true.

I know that no proof of God has ever being shown to me, I would guess you have no proof either. Just because you or people I love, believe in a god that doesn't exist is no reason for me not to mock same non existing God.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't see how saying to listen to an expert in a subject is an "ideology" or "cultlike" unless one strains the meanings of cult and ideology beyond their normal meaning.

If somebody told me to listen to what my cardiologist was telling me, an example of appealing to an expert, that's hardly an ideology or cultlike. It's just listening to an informed expert.

Again to me this is very confused.

We cannot be 100% sure that somebody is correct in any given area. However the large scale evidence informed conclusions of the majority of experts, e.g. in climate science, should be seriously considered. They are not analogous to the single recommendations of one individual.

Your first example of someone suggesting you listen to your cardiologist is not the ideology or cult like behaviour I was referring to. That’s the single recommendation of one individual, whereas your second example is more akin to the idea of science as an ideology and some individuals adherence to it to add legitimacy to their claims, as cult like behaviour. Large scale evidence based upon rigorous scientific inquiry is one thing, it’s simply as you suggested earlier, an accumulation of the facts. How those facts are presented though, is what leads to the perception of cult-like behaviour and treating science as an ideology.

In interpreting the data using terms such as “climate crisis” and “climate emergency” and suggesting that people need to adopt a vegan diet, have no children, and abstain from air travel, as humans are the greatest influence on climate change, is using the data to promote a moral imperative. I’m almost certain that I as an individual use far more resources in a week than a family of ten in some of the most underdeveloped parts of India where Hindus adhere to what Westerners would call a vegan diet. The data suggests that a regression of Western civilisation to pre-industrial times would do less damage to the environment. One doesn’t need to be a climate scientist to have figured that one out really. One just needs to ignore all other factors which influence economic and social development.

This is what I mean when I say that Greta acts like a spoiled child who isn’t getting her own way because she feels that politicians aren’t listening to climate scientists. They simply do not regard climate scientists with the same moral authority that Greta does. Long may she continue to be a complete pain in the arse, and she has a massive following, but I’m just not one of them, any more than I think she would appreciate an expert in economics demonstrating that her ideas simply aren’t all that sustainable for numerous reasons, not the least of which being their greater impact on the development of underdeveloped nations than the impact they would have on the developed world.

Of course science can inform morality by discovering pertinent facts. I think your point is better made by saying science cannot dictate morality. If science cannot inform morality you are basically saying facts cannot inform morality, since science is simply a method for accruing fact, and that makes little sense to me.

Finally of course religion has a basis to inform morality (if you accept it). In many religions the faith directly proscribes and makes moral claims.

Morality concerns decisions made on the basis of the discovery of facts, and what facts should be considered pertinent, such as for instance the discovery that Seventh Day Adventists are a pretty healthy bunch to use as test subjects for epidemiological studies -

Adventists' clean lifestyles were recognized by the U.S. military in 1954 when 2,200 Adventists volunteered to serve as human test subjects in Operation Whitecoat, a biodefense medical research program whose stated purpose was to defend troops and civilians against biological weapons.

I didn’t say that science cannot inform morality, I said that science doesn’t have any meaningful basis to inform morality any more than religion does. I acknowledge that people use religion to proscribe and make moral claims, and some people use science to do the very same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Your first example of someone suggesting you listen to your cardiologist is not the ideology or cult like behaviour I was referring to. That’s the single recommendation of one individual, whereas your second example is more akin to the idea of science as an ideology and some individuals adherence to it to add legitimacy to their claims, as cult like behaviour. Large scale evidence based upon rigorous scientific inquiry is one thing, it’s simply as you suggested earlier, an accumulation of the facts. How those facts are presented though, is what leads to the perception of cult-like behaviour and treating science as an ideology.

In interpreting the data using terms such as “climate crisis” and “climate emergency” and suggesting that people need to adopt a vegan diet, have no children, and abstain from air travel, as humans are the greatest influence on climate change, is using the data to promote a moral imperative.
    Well yes, but what is the "cult-like" behaviour here. I don't agree with some of this stuff either, but I don't see it as particularly "cult-like" or treating science as an ideology.

The actual climate science does give a certain set of facts. Greta and people like her are using them a simplistically perhaps, or not considering other issues, but I don't see anything cult-like in the use of the facts themselves. The data clearly shows a "climate crisis" by any normal definition of the word "crisis". I don't see how phrasing it like that is some cult-like presentation.

I mean really what we have here are findings from climate science and other suggestions from economics. Considering both and caring less for the economic arguments, while it might be wrong, is hardly cult like. Otherwise do we say that those with the opposite conclusion have a cult-like devotion to economics?
    Morality concerns decisions made on the basis of the discovery of facts, and what facts should be considered pertinent, such as for instance the discovery that Seventh Day Adventists are a pretty healthy bunch to use as test subjects for epidemiological studies -
    What's the relevance of quoting that 7th day Adventist study? It just seems to be a non-sequitur. I'm not really discussing religious groups. There are similar studies showing Atheists have high levels of mental well-being and health. So what?

[There are studies showing that "non-religious" people have poorer health, but I suggest reading them carefully first as what they actually say is quite different from the popular conception of them]
    I didn’t say that science cannot inform morality, I said that science doesn’t have any meaningful basis to inform morality any more than religion does. I acknowledge that people use religion to proscribe and make moral claims, and some people use science to do the very same thing.
    So what you are saying is that science and religion have an equal basis to inform morality?

If so, then under the usual conception of them, I would say this is wrong.

Science is a method for obtaining facts you can use to inform your morality.

Religion itself provides a moral framework, it doesn't simply inform it. It's not that "some people use religion to proscribe...", it's that religions themselves present what they consider the correct moral framework. The Bible is meant to make objective moral claims. This isn't the same as using science to inform morality. There's no real consistent way to be religious and simply use it to inform your morality. It has to be the basis of morality.

• Advertisement

The bs is strong in this one :pac:
    Cause the whole not responding to my points is all Shi*e. Cheap poor man retort to deflect. I know because I've used it myself before.

You have your stick out bating others and you'll just hide behind "well, it's my opinion" - but we both know the story don't we ;)

You're entitled to view me as a troll, if that's how you perceive my contributions on this thread... you're wrong, of course, but you're entitled to hold that view.

And since you're so strong in your belief that I'm on the wind up... it would be somewhat churlish of me to disappoint you with my next contribution. So here is some fuel for the fodder in your mind. :D

tumblr_padi91de6n1wreoqmo1_640.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

People getting worked up publicly only to display their beliefs in an antagonistic fashion are contrarians with nothing better going on in their lives.

Childish, really.

I remember going into a place in phibsboro to get lunch on a Sunday, it was a newish place so why not try it?

As we're queuing I start to note the "vibe" of the place. Communist this and that, diversity ads, immigration blah blah.

Get to the counter and ordered some food, then the bloke asks me "do you want some whiskey?"

I just looked at him strange. Why would I want whiskey so early in the day with a sandwich?

So he picks up on my puzzlement, "it's okay, it's free. A free glass of whiskey" he restated.

Declining, we sat down and it was only then a friend said it's because it's easter Sunday (or whatever holy day you're supposed to avoid alcohol). This place was encouraging everyone going in to drink alcohol, to the point of giving it away free.

To this day, it is one of the worst examples of try-hard contrarian nonsense I have experienced. When the penny dropped, my eyeballs rolled so far back in my head they did a 360. What a complete bunch of self-righteous, cringe-inducing eejits. It's still funny to recall :)

More to the point, being anti-religious/spiritual is practically a brand at this point. Insufferable and hilarious all at once.

Gradius wrote: »
    I remember going into a place in phibsboro to get lunch on a Sunday, it was a newish place so why not try it?

As we're queuing I start to note the "vibe" of the place. Communist this and that, diversity ads, immigration blah blah.

Get to the counter and ordered some food, then the bloke asks me "do you want some whiskey?"

I just looked at him strange. Why would I want whiskey so early in the day with a sandwich?

So he picks up on my puzzlement, "it's okay, it's free. A free glass of whiskey" he restated.

Declining, we sat down and it was only then a friend said it's because it's easter Sunday (or whatever holy day you're supposed to avoid alcohol). This place was encouraging everyone going in to drink alcohol, to the point of giving it away free.

To this day, it is one of the worst examples of try-hard contrarian nonsense I have experienced. When the penny dropped, my eyeballs rolled so far back in my head they did a 360. What a complete bunch of self-righteous, cringe-inducing eejits. It's still funny to recall :)

More to the point, being anti-religious/spiritual is practically a brand at this point. Insufferable and hilarious all at once.

Sounds more like you were the uptight one, and that establishment was having good old pisstake at the expense of conservative religious traditions.

Maybe you should have taken the whiskey... sounds like you need to loosen up a bit! :pac:

I think the whole anti-religious thing is great btw... when you consider how much of a stranglehold the church had on this country and many others, it's a great step forward for society that we feel confident enough as citizens to just tear the whole thing apart and ridicule all of it's outdated and dogmatic rituals.

Sounds more like you were the uptight one, and that establishment was having good old pisstake at the expense of conservative religious traditions.

Maybe you should have taken the whiskey... sounds like you need to loosen up a bit! :pac:

Come on now, dont be an eejit :p

Imagine going into some restaurant for a bite to eat, and the ones serving you are going above and beyond to get you to break a religious tradition. Silly.

Imagine going into a place during Ramadan for a non alcoholic drink, and they start pushing an array of pork products on you, just because it's contrarian :)

Eejits to laugh at, nothing more, nothing less.

I think the whole anti-religious thing is great btw... when you consider how much of a stranglehold the church had on this country and many others, it's a great step forward for society that we feel confident enough as citizens to just tear the whole thing apart and ridicule all of it's outdated and dogmatic rituals.

I quoted you before your add on.

"it's a great step forward for society blah blah". Id imagine if you threw a party a funeral might break out from the excitement, Ms "loosen up" :p

Come on now, dont be an eejit :p

Imagine going into some restaurant for a bite to eat, and the ones serving you are going above and beyond to get you to break a religious tradition. Silly.

Imagine going into a place during Ramadan for a non alcoholic drink, and they start pushing an array of pork products on you, just because it's contrarian :)

Eejits to laugh at, nothing more, nothing less.

No actually, that's where you are very wrong... it's these religious traditions that are "silly"...

Telling someone you can't drink this or eat this on a certain day... give me break... what utter moronic outdated nonsense!

Good on that establishment for intentionally breaking stupid traditions and pointless taboos! Too many people have been held prisoner over the years, by dogmatic bullsh*t...

You need to take yourself less serious, and see that moment for what it actually was... you sound very uptight tbh.

No actually, that's where you are very wrong... it's these religious traditions that are "silly"...

Telling someone you can't drink this or eat this on a certain day... give me break... what utter moronic outdated nonsense!

Good on that establishment for intentionally breaking stupid traditions and pointless taboos! Too many people have been held prisoner over the years, by dogmatic bullsh*t...

You need to take yourself less serious, and see that moment for what it actually was... you sound very uptight tbh.

Okay.

See you at the party later, fellow cool kid.

You're entitled to view me as a troll, if that's how you perceive my contributions on this thread... you're wrong, of course, but you're entitled to hold that view.

And since you're so strong in your belief that I'm on the wind up... it would be somewhat churlish of me to disappoint you with my next contribution. So here is some fuel for the fodder in your mind. :D

tumblr_padi91de6n1wreoqmo1_640.png

:pac:

- gets called out as a sh*t stirrer.
    - denies it
    - doubles down and gets a bigger spoon :pac:

Nicely done :pac:

• Advertisement

That's an amazing story.

Advertisement