Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toll Roads Boondoggle - The “acceptable” face of waste in transport spending

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PeadarCo wrote: »
    There have been numerous allegations of corruption on this thread without a shred of evidence to back them up.

What investigations took place re NTR's political donation to FF when FF were dishing out contracts that the NTR benefited from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I do not think it works quite like that. I think there is a transition where the tolls are shared, but I have not read the contracts so I cannot be certain.

I made no mention of always having low interest rates. What I said is that Gov generally have lower interest coupons than private enterprises. Clearly in extreme cases, like the crash of 2008, that might not pertain.

Currently, interest rates for the state are near zero for 10 year bonds. It is time to borrow to build needed infrastructure, but not to borrow for social welfare or vanity projects.

Well, when we put in a toll, the road signs and the location is always put to favour the toll and make avoiding it near impossible. The West Link was built that way and we had to pay billions of Euro to get it back. In the contract, the state were prevented from building an alternative bridge across the Liffey that would have bypassed the toll bridge. Not a deal that favoured the State, but times were hard.

I have no idea if corruption plays a part in any State business, and certainly no evidence. There have been many claims and accusations of corruption and many Tribunals of Enquiry. Some findings of those tribunals clearly suggested corruption, but they all got their legal fees paid and only one Minister (Ray Burke) went to jail, so just a bottle of smoke - nothing to see here - move along.

I did read through the M6 (Athlone to Galway) PPP contract once and came to the conclusion it was one sided wrt risk and reward. That is the basis for my opinion, but it may be just that particular contract.

The point is its 47 year contract and it needs to be assessed over that time scale. 2008 while extreme unfortunately isn't exactly unusual over a 50 year odd period of time. Economic crisis happen, they are a fact of life unfortunately. To assume that a crisis like that won't happen again is foolish as we see presently.

Could the government borrow the money to buy out the counterpart similar to what happened with the M50 that's an option. It cost the government billions but remember that money in real money terms would have had to borrowed anyway in build it in the first place and attracted its own interest costs.

One hard thing is you also have to know is what the government options were at the time. As you have noted we currently have very low interest rates however that wasn't always the case and will not always be the case. Even back in 2008, 09,10 interest rates in general were very low in general however Ireland's rates were so high the government came to the brink of default and would have defaulted had different political parties been in power or an agreement not been found with the EU and IMF.

One thing I don't know is what the alternative financing options were available at the time. You can't use what's available now. You have to look at options when the agreements were signed.

There is also the other side of the things two different people when provided with the same facts can make different decisions. My issue with the previous posts from other posters was that the whole process was corrupt without a shred of evidence.

Even in your post you mention tribunals of enquiry. Genuine question here, what PPP contracts were investigated? You can't lob them all into one big lump. As you have noted different contract have different terms.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What investigations took place re NTR's political donation to FF when FF were dishing out contracts that the NTR benefited from?

I'm not fimilar with what you are talking about. What specific contracts were investigated?

The article you linked dates from 1999 so it's 20 years plus out of date. It's also a decade plus before the most of the current motorway tolls became operational. There no point responding to the historic and out of date information.

Now if you look at the Transport infrastructure Ireland 2018 report(the most recent current available) you will see no payments were made in 2018 as traffic levels were with in the relevant thresholds. Given the economic situation you would expect payments to be made this year. But if read the report you will notice the life of the contract is 47 years. The decision on where the financing method was a good idea has to made with the 47 year period in mind and not focus on good or bad years.

https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/

You can argue if the current system is the best idea however its not corrupt. Or at least no evidence has been supplied to demonstrate it and the IMF report of you read it while suggesting improvements does not describe it as corrupt.

On the whole idea of enriching private companies remember it was private companies that build the road and practically all the infrastructure in the state. In many cases like schools for example private organisations own either most the buildings and or the land the building sit on. So if you don't like the state paying private companies to do things well you are looking a discussion in politics not transport.

Your naiveity is astounding.
    Political Graft is a fact of life and PPP is a vehicle which maximises the cost of the damage it can do.
    "This time it will be different" doesn't wash with anyone.

Your naiveity is astounding.
    Political Graft is a fact of life and PPP is a vehicle which maximises the cost of the damage it can do.
    "This time it will be different" doesn't wash with anyone.

To be honest I think this says more about your view of politics than what actually happens.

We know as of 2017 that according to the IMF that the process in Ireland is fundamentally sound. Is it perfect? no and even the IMF is critical of aspects as its list of recommendations attests. Was there issues in the past could well have been. But is a massive leap to say because there were issues with a few contracts in the past to say the entire current process is corrupt especially when you have a 3rd party that has a different opinion.

• Advertisement

My view of politics is based upon decades of observation.
    You seem to be living in a fairytale world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The point is its 47 year contract and it needs to be assessed over that time scale. 2008 while extreme unfortunately isn't exactly unusual over a 50 year odd period of time. Economic crisis happen, they are a fact of life unfortunately. To assume that a crisis like that won't happen again is foolish as we see presently.

Could the government borrow the money to buy out the counterpart similar to what happened with the M50 that's an option. It cost the government billions but remember that money in real money terms would have had to borrowed anyway in build it in the first place and attracted its own interest costs.

One hard thing is you also have to know is what the government options were at the time. As you have noted we currently have very low interest rates however that wasn't always the case and will not always be the case. Even back in 2008, 09,10 interest rates in general were very low in general however Ireland's rates were so high the government came to the brink of default and would have defaulted had different political parties been in power or an agreement not been found with the EU and IMF.

One thing I don't know is what the alternative financing options were available at the time. You can't use what's available now. You have to look at options when the agreements were signed.

There is also the other side of the things two different people when provided with the same facts can make different decisions. My issue with the previous posts from other posters was that the whole process was corrupt without a shred of evidence.

Even in your post you mention tribunals of enquiry. Genuine question here, what PPP contracts were investigated? You can't lob them all into one big lump. As you have noted different contract have different terms.

A 47 year contract is somewhat long for this kind os project. The East Link was a thirty year term. I think some of the deals wrt to 'Advance Factories' were such that the factories were never used and were left to rot.

Now, I'm not saying there was corruption of any kind, but the terms agreed to were horrendous from the states pov. They included huge figures for inflation (which was in the order of 20% at the time) and meant that it was never economic for anyone to locate in these factories - better to build new, particularly since these concrete sheds were not built to current standards.

There is a similar inflation content in the PPP contracts for toll roads. Now they use the consumer price index which sounds OK, but isn't. If say the road cost €100 million and €60 million is raised by the PPP side, at a coupon of 5% say, that remains 5% for the contract - no inflation. If it is a variable coupon, then it rises and falls with the interest rates in the market, not the CPI. There is an element that would reference the CPI - the maintenance costs and the wages for the collectors of the pennies. This I would think would be buttons compared with the interest charges.

Any Gov attempt to buy out the PPP would be prohibitive because the benefits to the private side are baked in, and so costed into the value. The only option would be to introduce some tax that would claw back the profits, but even that would be impossible.

There have been few, if any, investigations into PPP contracts - mainly because 'commercial sensitivity' is always claimed, and that makes investigations next to impossible. So no corruption has come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

This article from 2018 suggested a move away from PPP on costs grounds. However, it also explains the attractiveness of PPP to the State in the past.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0226/943622-have-public-private-partnerships-gone-out-of-fashion/
    Currently, the use of PPP is attractive to government because the big up-front financing (borrowing) for these PPPs is not counted as capital expenditure in the years that the infrastructure is under construction. Instead, the funding of PPP projects is spread over the life of the contracts. This helps the government control spending and meet fiscal targets. In addition, if certain conditions are met in relation to risk-sharing, the borrowing required to finance a PPP project is not counted as government debt and it’s counted off-balance sheet.

On this basis, it would be fair to say that we would have less infrastructure today without PPP.

It also notes a trend internationally as follows:
    The encouragement of toll roads procured as PPPs is at odds with government policy since 2013, which has moved to providing non-tolled motorways. ... This is also consistent with the international trend away from PPP models where revenues to private operators depend on traffic flows. It is difficult to see Ireland bucking this international trend which has emerged because private contractors are reluctant to assume demand (traffic) risk. If the incentives which Project Ireland 2040 recommends lead to encouraging privately financed toll-roads, a likely consequence will be the need to give the private sector guarantees that compensate for low traffic levels. This may not be politically acceptable and will have implications for the overall cost to government.

Again, not a hint of a suggestion by this academic of corruption in the past. That claim remains unfounded here and the excuse of 'but very few investigations have been undertaken' doesn't cut it in a jurisdiction where a politician can fart and there is a public inquiry.

I'm not fimilar with what you are talking about.

If you're not familiar with NTR giving money to FF as FF were handing out lucrative state contracts, there's not much I can do about your ignorance.
    What specific contracts were investigated?

This is what has gone completely over your head.

There were no investigations.

White collar crime isn't something that interests the authorities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If you're not familiar with NTR giving money to FF as FF were handing out lucrative state contracts, there's not much I can do about your ignorance.

This is what has gone completely over your head.

There were no investigations.

White collar crime isn't something that interests the authorities in Ireland.

Can you please evidence what you are alleging? There has been lots of allegations and no evidence other than "observation", assumptions and impressions and this has been used as a basis to insult people with whom you disagree.

• Advertisement

Do you think NTR were giving money to FF for the good of their health?

Advertisement