Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aside from Saturday, we probably won't see that much rain over the next few days. Until the weather starts coming from the Atlantic , the east and south east will be seeing most of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Still sitting on a grand total of 9mm rain so far this month with 9.4 last month and 22 and 26mm the previous two to that....very long way to get back to normal levels here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann totals so far this month at their reporting stations.

FTEiGxh.png

NW wettest; S driest in general. Would be great if Met Eireann made monthly rainfall totals available from their 'WOW' stations as well to help give a more fuller picture, but can't see that happening anytime soon.

New Moon

Neddyusa wrote: »
    A lot of talk of rain for the past 10 days but only very small amounts materialised - until today in the East.
    Finally that's a chart that would bring drought relief for most farmers across the country. If its still there tomorrow I'll believe!

Did you get much from those showers yesterday NeddyUSA? Some barely detectable spits the odd time here that amounted to nothing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had 16mm this week. It's 17.9C outside and absolutely freezing... Why the anomaly?
    999hpa
    5.2m/s winds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Did you get much from those showers yesterday NeddyUSA? Some barely detectable spits the odd time here that amounted to nothing.

Got a whopping 1.8mm from those showers on what was originally forecast as the wettest day of the week. Strong Northerly breeze drying the ground quickly.

This must be what a "wet day" is like in the East when we get our normal Southwesterly weather??? :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The drought is well and truly over in Dublin anyway. Heaviest rain I have seen in weeks.

Some beautiful rain falling now, decent clump of it in the Irish sea, great!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Supercell wrote: »
    Some beautiful rain falling now, decent clump of it in the Irish sea, great!

Prefer if it would go away

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This time next week those gushing over the rain will be sick of it:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can see it already, even the farmers could be sick of the rain by the end of June especially if we start seeing floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Prefer if it would go away

Realistically we'd all love endless sunny and warm days where there was no risk of drought, but sadly we have the water system that we do have.

We already have a hosepipe ban, and more drastic measures would likely have followed very quickly. As it is, we likely still need more rain to counteract what we didn't get over the last 3 months.

Love the turn of phrase :D
    My veggies are already perking up, hosepipe ban is a pain in the water butt filling up again nicely :pac::pac::pac:

The drought is well and truly over in Dublin anyway. Heaviest rain I have seen in weeks.

It's probably the only rain you've seen in weeks :) I'll get my wellies!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dublin - Home water butt full for the fist time since March probably

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonzo wrote: »
    I can see it already, even the farmers could be sick of the rain by the end of June especially if we start seeing floods.

The ground can take an awful lot. Irish Water outlined a requirement of 100mm in short order, plus a return to normal patterns thereafter. Looking at the various models I think the end of the month will have us back roughly where we should be and will be welcomed by gardeners, farmers and Irish Water alike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's probably the only rain you've seen in weeks :) I'll get my wellies!

That's true actually, I can't really remember much rainfall if any since the whole lockdown was put in place. Aside from it spitting a little bit of rain here and there.

This time next week we will be sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

That's true actually, I can't really remember much rainfall if any since the whole lockdown was put in place. Aside from it spitting a little bit of rain here and there.

Well it all makes sense now, as the first major restrictions were lifted just a few days ago and now downpours are expected in many areas right through the first weekend where we can all travel a decent distance!!!!

Of all of the reporting Met Eireann stations up to yesterday, Casement in Dublin is now the wettest station in the land with 19.6mm accumulated there since the sart of the month. Sherkin Island with its 1.8mm remains the driest station so far. Countrywide average is 10.4mm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup we are getting about 1mm a day since hot spell ended . Grass a bit greener but rivers even lower and some streams gone altogether

• Advertisement

This time next week we will be sick of it.
    I believed you.

I've had 6mm in the last week.
    15.2 mm this month.
    Had 2 good downpours in the dry spell.
    An inch in an hour and a week later another inch over a few days.

Ground was bone dry though since.

North kerry

pauldry wrote: »
    Yup we are getting about 1mm a day since hot spell ended . Grass a bit greener but rivers even lower and some streams gone altogether

Yep considering the dry spell is supposedly over - we're still running 60-70% below normal for June
    :rolleyes:

Yep considering the dry spell is supposedly over - we're still running 60-70% below normal for June
    :rolleyes:

This weekend will hopefully sort it for a lot of us

This weekend will hopefully sort it for a lot of us

Hope so, but I'm hearing that for the last two weeks now though...so it's all still FI to me! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It'll take a very wet month to get it to normal here, not that I want a return to normal service.

Hope so, but I'm hearing that for the last two weeks now though...so it's all still FI to me! :confused:

I had 15mm this month and around 50mm last month.

Needs more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I had 15mm this month and around 50mm last month.

Needs more though.

Seriously, what is all this talk about rain??? 3.2mm this month on top of a very dry May (not record-breaking either, we got 15.4mm - a little under twice the 7.8mm recorded in May '19). Our grass is almost pure orange around these parts of South Laois.

(Saving a whack on not having to purchase Petrol to cut the lawns!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Danno wrote: »
    Seriously, what is all this talk about rain??? 3.2mm this month on top of a very dry May (not record-breaking either, we got 15.4mm - a little under twice the 7.8mm recorded in May '19). Our grass is almost pure orange around these parts of South Laois.

(Saving a whack on not having to purchase Petrol to cut the lawns!)

Depends where you are. There was never a drought down here in Cork, a fair bit of rain throughout May (even though it was still a lovely month) and rain most days this week at some stage. The hose ban down here was comical. And looking at the next two weeks its about to get a lot more comical....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Depends where you are. There was never a drought down here in Cork, a fair bit of rain throughout May (even though it was still a lovely month) and rain most days this week at some stage. The hose ban down here was comical. And looking at the next two weeks its about to get a lot more comical....

Indeed, it's all about location, location location!

I remember Summer'16 and lads 40 miles west of here talking about relentless rains there and we were parched. It's amazing how Ireland has so many micro-climates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The difference in weather between my place and 10 miles away is bigger than here and 100 miles west.

Advertisement