Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Irish Navy are ready to invade.

First Rockall, then The Isle Of Man.......Then The World,,,,,, and everything in it.

?width=630&version=3335522

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Irish Navy are ready to invade.

First Rockall, then The Isle Of Man.......Then The World,,,,,, and everything in it.

?width=630&version=3335522

I'd imagine yer man in charge of the navy looking at the news tonight and saying "ah bollix , not now".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

I'd imagine yer man in charge of the navy looking at the news tonight and saying "ah bollix , not now".

I bet they're thinking why couldn't it be somewhere nice like Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

We have Scotland in our opening game of The Rugby World Cup, ROR is a nice tune for the fans to be singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Is Billy Connoly on our side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

policarp wrote: »
    Is Billy Connoly on our side?

Good question, I was wondering about that Mel Gibson too , if starts that Braveheart ****e , or be a bit of a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

One read of the

"Guy in work canteen passes snide remark about my drink" thread on boards, and the Scots will be pissing in their pants
    So the other day when I was having lunch in the canteen, another working noticed what I was drinking and remarked "gee is that sparkling water you're
    drinking there
    ". I knew what he was thinking so I just said "that's right dude" and ignored him, just continuing on talking with the person I'd been chatting to. But he then said "God you're a tough man drinking that" and sort of laughed. He said this as he had a can of pepsi in his hand as he was saying this. I thought to myself, gee I'm aware peer pressure is always present and that people might think this way, but this fella just came right on out and actually said it. I said to him "it's a bit much to be making remarks on another person's choice of drink". It's more like something you'd expect as a young teenager.

I took a look around the table and saw that everyone else was also drinking water (even the coolest guy too!), although theirs wasn't sparkling... it looked like the chlorinated tap water in old bottles. So I said to him "you're going to see a lot of people drinking bottles of water in this life, don't feel the need to make a snide remark towards all of them. He'd nothing really to say to that, but yet I didn't think I'd gotten through to him. A few other things were said that I forget, but towards the end I remember he said "put some ribena into it or something for Christ's sake". At this point in time I said to him "alright don't pick a fight over it, you know you're coming across as a control freak now. I could could see one of the girls at the table was nodding in agreement with me as I said this. But he just smirked arrogantly and looked away. Confident little bully he is.

I was considering saying to him "yeah dude I know what ribena tastes like & I'm aware I've that option, but you can't seem to get you're stupid head around the fact that I prefer to drink sparkling water". I also felt like saying to him that maybe I didn't want to end up fat like he is from all the sh1t he eats. And as you'd probably guess, only a smoker would be self conscious enough to think this way, and yes he's a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

CZ1b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Anyone else remember the cod wars?

Iceland trawlers Vs Great Britain trawlers, lots of trawlers getting rammed in the North sea, pluse theatening Icelandic gunboats, add a Royal Navy Frigate into the mix too.....
    mid 1970s I think?
    can't remember who won, or who got the cod, although I suspect it was captain birdseye.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nobelium wrote: »
    I bet they're thinking why couldn't it be somewhere nice like Lanzarote.

Nah its "morally wrong as it's bad for the environment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Balanadan wrote: »
    We should declare a jihad against Scotland if they threaten our country.
    We have Muslims now to back that up .

SeaFields wrote: »
    We're going to invade and Scotland will be waiting for us but just as England come to help Scotland we join with Scotland and both fight the English!

I seen it in a film.
    This is what the SNP are up to . Get us all stirred up over Rockall . Get us Up and Over , fill us with Whiskey and let us loose on the Sasanachs .

We’ll fall for it too , Coz.......

people have gone to war for less.

count me in.

btw...what rock??
    Dickie even though I saw his “ Act “ 38 years ago and should have gone to war then but didn’t . I did want to annihilate the world though .

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Anyone else remember the cod wars?

Iceland trawlers Vs Great Britain trawlers, lots of trawlers getting rammed in the North sea, pluse theatening Icelandic gunboats, add a Royal Navy Frigate into the mix too.....
    mid 1970s I think?
    can't remember who won, or who got the cod, although I suspect it was captain birdseye.

Worth a watch for anyone wanting to familiarise themselves with it...

Yeah sure why not, am at fúck all else this evening.
    You’ll be back in time for Cocoa this evening .....mind you thats the kind of thing they always tell you but your not back for years or dead or turned traitor , stuck in Rockall or worse ; In FFG .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Worth a watch for anyone wanting to familiarise themselves with it...

There have been 3 Cod wars. Iceland V UK plus other states.
    And despite facing overwhelming military odds, Iceland won all three cod wars. There has been 1 recorded casualty, On Iceland's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Fin Mcool will eat the the loch Ness monster.

CinderKone wrote: »
    Fin Mcool will eat the the loch Ness monster.
    I hope Fin McCool can be located because if Photo Shoot Leo is all we got , we will soon be eating Haggis and drinking Iron Bru .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Scotland better be careful. Our fleet of combat fighter jets have already been scrambled. :pac:

What are they? Sopwith Camel biplanes? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What are they? Sopwith Camel biplanes? :D

Ah come on, we did have Hurricanes and Spitfires at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah come on, we did have Hurricanes and Spitfires at one stage.

Given the level of investment, they probably still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Do the Scots think they are China or something?? Trying to claim some Rock that’s 240km off their coast. Hell its closer to Donegal than it is to Scotland.

****in idiots, the whole world is gone to ****.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

We could call up the RAF to go and have a look at it for us, it's who we call for help whenever Russian military aircraft enter our controlled airspace off our west coat anyway, which happens now and again. Or else get our navy to go and have a look, they will be back on duty again after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

janfebmar wrote: »
    We could call up the RAF to go and have a look at it for us, it's who we call for help whenever Russian military aircraft enter our controlled airspace off our west coat anyway, which happens now and again. Or else get our navy to go and have a look, they will be back on duty again after the weekend.

You think it's protocol for the Irish state to ask HMG to scramble RAF jets?

I do recall an incident where the RAF intercepted Russian planes in Irish airspace without informing anyone whatever. The IAA were not informed and neither were civilian ATC.

Would a Leo Photo Shoot on Rockall fix this problem ! Leo's fix for everything .

Anything to be said for another Leo Photo Shoot .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The Scots might want to sort out their own jurisdiction before they get into expansionist mode. That fisheries spokesman sounded like some Tory, probably a Laird Herringsbottom or something.
    What's the plan I wonder, playing leapfrog to Canada? Someone read something about a huge whale and cod industry in the North Atlantic? Maybe this is the real purpose of Trumps visit, to reunite with his mother's homeplace.

We'll watch for the Danes and the Icelanders to get in on the act now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

janfebmar wrote: »

You could emigrate there j since you love all things British. There’s also that part of British Ireland which is about 100 miles away from you.

Like people who loved communism in the west during the Cold War though there’s no desire to live in communist societies, in fact the flow is the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

lawred2 wrote: »
    You think it's protocol for the Irish state to ask HMG to scramble RAF jets?

I do recall an incident where the RAF intercepted Russian planes in Irish airspace without informing anyone whatever. The IAA were not informed and neither were civilian ATC.

Unlike the Russian planes, the raf planes scrambled to intercept the Russian planes had their transponders switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Conchir wrote: »
    Saw this on the RTE news story. “The rocky outcrop lies around 230 nautical miles northwest of Donegal and 240 miles west of Scotland.”

230 nautical miles is over 260 miles. A harmless bit of journalism, or intentionally misleading?
    fryup wrote: »
    can't why RTE are stirring the pot on this? on STV news this was the fourth lead story

Its a strange one. RTE deploying fake news, beating the nationalistic drum, stirring up "populism". Why?

One possible explanation is that the Scottish and Irish govts are complicit in this. Trying to engineer a controversy, and RTE are in on it.
    We know that there's a couple of months before the whole Brexit thing kicks in again. When it resumes, it could go either way - hard "No Deal" Brexit or no Brexit at all.

We know Brexit is least popular in Scotland and Ireland.
    We know the Irish strategy has been to thwart Brexit. By using "The Backstop argument" which is largely based on generating fear about possible future instability in NI.

We know that the argument against Brexit that resonated most effectively abroad was the threat of violence breaking out in NI (largely because people weren't in a position to assess how realistic that threat was).

With Brexit teetering on a knife edge, would the fear of Hard Brexit sparking a minor war between Ireland and Scotland be enough to tip the balance? CT or not, watch this space...

Advertisement