Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temps holding up here in the South East. 8.3c currently in Waterford City

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm met reports

Markree 3 degrees
    Mount Dillon 3 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A toasty 8 degrees here according to cork airport, 9 degrees at roaches point, not too sure which is more accurate for the city but I’d say in between.

Meant to drop to 3 degrees tonight if the apps are correct.. which is.. unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy in Sligo

Temps gone from 6.4c to 8.2c now

See if Markree warms up at Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A toasty 8 degrees here according to cork airport, 9 degrees at roaches point, not too sure which is more accurate for the city but I’d say in between.

Meant to drop to 3 degrees tonight if the apps are correct.. which is.. unknown

In between 8 and 8, so.....8?

• Advertisement

Midnight

Athenry 3 degrees
    Claremorris 3
    Casement 3
    Dunsany 3
    Markree 3
    Mount Dillon 3

No frost in cork city anyway. About 5-6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

2c here in ashbourne, coldest Sept morning in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bit of frost on the cars here this morning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mullingar -0.8 °C this morning. Claremorris 0.2, Oak PARK 0.7, Casement 1.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mullingar -0.8 °C this morning. Claremorris 0.2, Oak PARK 0.7, Casement 1.1.

As far as I can see of quickly looking at the data, that’s a new September record for Mullingar (assuming these are air minimums).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful, crisp morning here in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin co galway 24/09/18 1°C
    20180924_072426_zpsdc7oe8od.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As far as I can see of quickly looking at the data, that’s a new September record for Mullingar (assuming these are air minimums).

Yes, they are the overnight minima.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice sunny day in Galway, bit cool though.

Clouding over in Dublin 5 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely day... been sitting out by the gate a while, dog and cats and I enjoying the sun... sweet breeze...

Blue sky all day in cork city. Around 16 degrees. Feels a bit summery really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Barometer got up to 1040.3 hPa now 1037.1

Such a marvelous day, sunshine and all sorts of cirrus cloud to be seen throughout the day and the odd cumulus and seen a couple of sundogs late afternoon.

Calm evening with contrails overhead that haven't budged in the last 30 mins.

NASA Sat Pic from earlier.

4wq97yO.png

Near current Bar Readings

pression2_uk_mqv1.png

Elderberry ready for the picking in the garden this evening. Lovely Autumn weather.

Dhudh2t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Meteoroit58
    Can you eat the elder berries straight from the tree???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ZX7R wrote: »
    Meteoroit58
    Can you eat the elder berries straight from the tree???

I believe they can cause Nausea and upset stomach if eaten uncooked. I remember as kids a group of us all missed a day from school after eating them and getting sick after. I'm a bit skeptical about eating them since then. Might just leave them for the wildlife . Starlings often arrive en masse and clean them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I believe they can cause Nausea and upset stomach if eaten uncooked. I remember as kids a group of us all missed a day from school after eating them and getting sick after. I'm a bit skeptical about eating them since then. Might just leave them for the wildlife . Starlings often arrive en masse and clean them out.

I let someone else take a chance on them ha ha.
    Elder tree are bending over with them around my area
    I was half thinking of making wine from them!

Thats a fine harvest moon on the rise now.nice night for viewing it

ISS passing over shortly:

Dublin

Date Visible Max Height Appears Disappears

Mon Sep 24, 8:53 PM 2 min 24° 11° above SSW 24° above SSE

Killarney

Date Visible Max Height Appears Disappears

Mon Sep 24, 8:52 PM 3 min 25° 11° above SSW 24° above SE

Saw it ! Mars very bright also tonight

Saw it ! Mars very bright also tonight

Here too, fab night out, calm and getting chilly.

6.9C now in Kerry.

A... lively.... morning out here... gale ramping up all along the coasts and outwards....

A varied climate!

Yep.. elderberries... see the official blurb.. all my blossom here got destroyed by Hector the Wrecktor, else would have combined them in jam with the blackberries

"The elderberry tree has been used medicinally for hundreds of years and is often known as the "people's medicine chest" because of its many uses. The bark, stems, and leaves have been traditionally used as healing poultices. Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body, so please don't do that, okay?

The berries, rich in flavonoid antioxidants, potassium, and Vitamin C, strengthen the immune system. They're very effective in treating autoimmune disorders or severe immune depletion after long-term antibiotic use.

Because they're filled with anthocyanins that have an anti-inflammatory effect, easing aches, pain and fever, elderberries are often administered to lessen the symptoms and shorten the duration of a cold, cough, and flu. They're also great for hormonally-induced nausea (hello, morning sickness) when combined with ginger.

When foraging for elderberries, you want to avoid picking the red ones. Look for nice ripe dark berries. The elderberry is highly astringent and could potentially make you sick if you eat a bunch of them raw. Cooking not only neutralizes them, but it also enhances the unique flavor of the berry.

So, what pray tell, did I do with all those wild elderberries that found me? I made a syrup that I can keep on hand to ward off any nasty bugs that may come calling during cold and flu season. Bonus: it's also yummy drizzled over pancakes or ice cream. *wink*

Elderberry Syrup
    2 C fresh elderberries or 1 C dried
    3 C filtered water
    1 C local raw honey

Removing the berries from their clusters can be a tedious process. Trust me. Here's a tip I garnered from an old Anishinaabe medicine man: place the clusters in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer. Once frozen, just shake the bag and most of the berries will fall off the little stems. You can keep any extra elderberries in the freezer to make additional batches of the syrup as you need it.

Method:
    1. Combine the berries and water in a stainless steel stockpot. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the concoction is reduced by about half.

2. Mash the berries and then strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer.

3. Return the juice to heat and add any additional herbs and spices you'd like – try ginger, cloves, and/or cinnamon. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat.

4. Strain again and return to pot. Add honey and stir well until it melts. Besides contributing its own medicinal qualities, the honey acts as a preservative here. If you choose to use agave nectar or another sweetener instead, you'll need to add alcohol as a preservative: either 3-4 ounces of brandy or 100 proof vodka. Weeeeeee!

5. When the syrup has cooled, put it into bottles (or jars, but bottles will make for easier pouring). Label, date and store in the refrigerator.

• Advertisement

Mostly cloudy but with a bit of sun in Dublin 5.

Advertisement