Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Aye it s a pain, I've pretty much resigned to the fact I won't be buying from the UK after Jan unless it's the only place I can get whatever it is I'm looking for.

For new stuff let's hope Irish sellers and retailers step up and improve selection and don't try to rip us off. .... Some chance I say lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

geotrig wrote: »
    Aye it s a pain, I've pretty much resigned to the fact I won't be buying from the UK after Jan unless it's the only place I can get whatever it is I'm looking for.

Same, as o1s1n says, it's a hard one to get your head around after decades of not thinking twice about it.
    For new stuff let's hope Irish sellers and retailers step up and improve selection and don't try to rip us off. .... Some chance I say lol

Two chances indeed. Operation Gouge will be in full effect early next year. Here's hoping we've decent EU alternatives, because while I enjoy supporting the local economy, I'm fooked if I'm getting roasted for the privilege of doing so.

I can't see how an post will cope , trying to process every bit of mail from the UK through customs!!!

It'll be interesting to see how Amazon UK changes as well maybe they'll offer a clearance fee up front,

I've already noticed more things being unavailble when I've my home address selected. I suppose we'll just have to useamazon France, Spain Germany really for some small things which adds more complications especially with French and Spanish mail :lol:

geotrig wrote: »
    I can't see how an post will cope , trying to process every bit of mail from the UK through customs!!!

It'll be interesting to see how Amazon UK changes as well maybe they'll offer a clearance fee up front,

I've already noticed more things being unavailble when I've my home address selected. I suppose we'll just have to useamazon France, Spain Germany really for some small things which adds more complications especially with French and Spanish mail :lol:

Amazon.de would be my default even now, as I find .co.uk quite expensive regardless of future-customs. Hopefully Amazon offer Irish customers a more local solution, and operate some distribution/warehousing here (I think they kinda do already, but it's still all handled through .co.uk??)

The one thing I'll miss is the absolute hassle free returns through .co.uk. Print the return label, attach to package, job done. With .de, you've to cover returns yourself initially, get proof of postage, send proof of postage, wait until the item reaches them, and then (usually) chase them up again for a refund.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I imagine my purchases will tail off further, at present it's reducing, certainly from the UK.
    I still have the odd thing coming in from Japan, US and the EU proper.
    Probably lean into Germany/France and Spain a bit more, into the future.
    I'll have to pay shipping costs but at least there'll be fewer difficult conversations with customs.

• Advertisement

• Capcom Home Arcade €118.04 in Argos

It's about 118 to much still :pac:

I've gotten the odd thing from Amazon.de but will probably switch fully as well
    Ich für meinen Teil begrüße unseren neuen Amazon.de Oberherr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Same here on Amazon .de. They dont have everything I get from the UK site, but that might change over the next few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's that link to the Veccy Multicart and Vectorblade deal for £39.99 shipped.
    http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/

If you've a Veccy, it's worth the dough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Same here on Amazon .de. They dont have everything I get from the UK site, but that might change over the next few months.
    It would be nice if Amazon would just combine their EU stores so there would be a EU and UK store. Amazon.ie prob should stop redirecting to Amazon.co.uk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm really banking on a trade agreement between us and the UK in the 11th hour.

I get all my T- shirts printed over there. So customs and stuff would absolutely crap all over that.

Going to be an absolute sh1tshow regardless.

****ing Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »

The one thing I'll miss is the absolute hassle free returns through .co.uk. Print the return label, attach to package, job done. With .de, you've to cover returns yourself initially, get proof of postage, send proof of postage, wait until the item reaches them, and then (usually) chase them up again for a refund.

Protip:
    If you ask support if you could send an amazon.de return back to amazon.co.uk instead they usually oblige.
    Not sure if they'll allow it anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

sugarman wrote: »
    By far the worst part about Brexit is the upcoming EU custom changes on top of it, the abolishing the current €22 low value exception from goods outside the EU.

It was due to kick in on 1st Jan 2021, but was kicked back to 1st July 2021.

It wouldnt have been too bad buying from the UK if that was still in place as the majority of bits and pieces I buy do fall under that. i.e common PS1/2/3 games, used controllers, adapters etc..

I still find it pretty ridiculous you have to pay customs/tax on used items/items no longer produced anyways i.e retro gaming!

Sure that's been a point for years now, second hand goods shouldn't be subject to tax....but it's fuelling the "grey market"

Theres honestly very few places left to find some good retro deals. eBay is a joke, someone in Ireland finds a few games in the attic they want €50 for a sonic 2 cart, only place I've found decent stuff the last while was Facebook collectors groups.

Apart from the odd eBay snipes ,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You'd still find the very odd great eBay deal when they finish at weird times, like 11pm on a Tuesday night etc. But they are becoming less and less for sure. It'll be a shame to see a lot of peoples hobby slow down a lot because of these changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Nice generic woody posted in the for sale section, don’t know if I’d call it a bargain but definitely better and cheaper than any of the tat available on Adverts/DD, please don’t put me in the dreamer thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'll be throwing a few bits up on the Marketplace tomorrow. I need to photo them, and price them...but the items are:

Metroid (NES, NTSC-U)
    Metroid 2 (Gameboy)
    Pikmin 1 and 2 (GameCube, CiB with manuals)
    Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
    Zelda 1 and 2 Gold Carts (NES, NTSC-U)
    Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 (GameCube and Wii accordingly)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii, brand new and sealed)
    Metroid Other M (Wii, brand new and sealed)
    Doom (PS1, cib)
    Final Doom (PS1, cib)

Feck, I'd better stay alert for Metroid....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I also need to sell a heap of stuff. No room at the inn. Rock bottom prices.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    I'll be throwing a few bits up on the Marketplace tomorrow. I need to photo them, and price them...but the items are:

Metroid (NES, NTSC-U)
    Metroid 2 (Gameboy)
    Pikmin 1 and 2 (GameCube, CiB with manuals)
    Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
    Zelda 1 and 2 Gold Carts (NES, NTSC-U)
    Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 (GameCube and Wii accordingly)
    Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii, brand new and sealed)
    Metroid Other M (Wii, brand new and sealed)
    Doom (PS1, cib)
    Final Doom (PS1, cib)

Done - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058135853

Bit of a fixer-upper here, a proper cab with the monitor needing some tlc, only €400 but I would say it could be worth haggling.
    https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/full-size-arcade-machine/22283195

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Bit of a fixer-upper here, a proper cab with the monitor needing some tlc, only €400 but I would say it could be worth haggling.

Need a tube for one of those as well...not buying a whole cabinet though.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Need a tube for one of those as well...not buying a whole cabinet though.
    What size tube do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

25 inch afaik.
    After a chassis rebuild by Grant it has odd lines. He said tube and to be fair he knows his stuff.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    25 inch afaik.
    After a chassis rebuild by Grant it has odd lines. He said tube and to be fair he knows his stuff.

Sorry, can’t help, I may have 19” in the attic

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

To me that looks like bad wiring

A minty fresh Famicom for sale, with all inserts, manuals and so on, for €120.
    I'd nearly get it myself only my gamesroom is a little on the full side as we speak!

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-famicom/22208385

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

To me that looks like bad wiring

I picked this up. The cab was in ok shape. The original Glass/Bezel and metal glass holder are gone but the original monitor was actually fine with a real pcb. Very faint metal slug "insert coin" burn that you can't see once running. I think the old Mame PC was just not set up correctly.

The back has a few chunks of wood cut out and the coin boxes are drilled at the front. Side art is perfect though.

Chances of finding a mint Xenon are zero at this stage I'd say. Just pity there is no repro art for them available anywhere.

Advertisement