Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah, that's fantastic! :D

My most interesting one was meeting a guy from boards who wanted to set up an airsoft site back in 2006. Myself and a mate went to check the gear he'd imported.

Turns out he wasn't bringing us to a storage site, but a public field in Swords.

He brings us to a spot down the field with a couple of bags of guns, and sets up a hubcap as a target - then proceeds to pull out an AK47 and starts laying into the target.

After about 5 minutes of this I can see kids up on a hill pointing down at us in the distance - I start getting very sheepish and start trying to make excuses to leave.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at this kind of a thing and took a bit too long getting out of there as he kept twisting my arm to have a go and let him know what I think.

With that, a lone Garda came over the crest of the hill, with a 'What's going on here now, lads?' look on his face.

We explained the situation to him, how it's all a massive misunderstanding and think that's that - he then asks us to walk back over the crest of the hill with him.

As we get over the hill, we are greeted by the Armed Response Unit with guns drawn and about six squad cards with flashing lights and an army of Gardai.

Moral of the story - don't meet people you don't know off the internet, kids. And especially don't meet them to look at guns :eek:
    Haha, Awesome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Steve X2 wrote: »
    He reminds me of a guy(but isn't the guy) I bought a load of retro stuff off about 4-5 years ago. I went out to collect the bits in Ballyfermot and he brought me around 3 separate council houses that he was using to store all his gear in. Nobody living there, just loads of arcade and retro bits and other electrical things.
    Anyway, went in and picked what I wanted and he nearly doubled the asking price(this after 2 of his mates arrived), said take it or leave it. I said, ok I'll leave it and then he accepted the original price!
    Very strange chap indeed, no checkerboard floor though :)

If I was going to get stuff off this checkerboard dude, I wouldn't be going alone!

tumblr-c7f5ed7a04438b792492cd58f7a78ec3-a3fb39c9-400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Haha, Awesome! :)

To make it even funnier - I've a really good friend who's a Garda. We lost touch after secondary school and I hadn't seen him in years. Got in touch again randomly about 5 years ago and decided to meet up.

Upon our first meeting, one of the first things he said was;

'Now you have to tell me, why does it say on PULSE that you were found in a field in Swords with a trove of automatic weapons?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Anyone interested in either of these? Brother is selling them off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Anyone interested in either of these? Brother is selling them off.

4kywvr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    4kywvr.jpg

Need gone fast before i hire in the skip and have them demolished!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the floor that gives it away, this is from the FB marketplace

Master of the Universe

Was having a quick look at adverts to see the going rate of a Dreamcast (As I'll have an extra one now after picking up that new one) and someone nabbed on today with almost 20 games...for free!

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/retro-games-console/22079200

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Was having a quick look at adverts to see the going rate of a Dreamcast (As I'll have an extra one now after picking up that new one) and someone nabbed on today with almost 20 games...for free!

So presumably now you've seen the going rate is Free, you'll be giving yours away too. Allow me to declutter your abode for you. REQUESTED

:pac:

I'd say the person listing it might just change their mind now.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably a better place for it, but on the topics of Dreamcast ...would anyone here happen to have a dead GD ROM drive? Looking to for a molex connector off one.

...or better yet, happen to know where you can buy the connectors?

Found then for sale on Digikey, but you have to buy 4,500 at €3+ a piece :pac:

Have you tried Mouser ? I find them better than digikey for a lot of parts, you need to spend more than €50 to get free shipping though (rarely a problem :) )

• Advertisement

Still dosnt beat the SSF2 Champ edition I got for free last year :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

TBF I have had dealings with him and he was always pretty fair as a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Regardless, he's made the person who gave it away look like a mug. Unseemly to turn it around so fast. This is like rubbing their nose in it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Master of the Universe

Why does it always seem to be flippers to get the good free stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I have had the opposite experience and have told him to not offer on any of my items as I will not sell anything to him on the Marketplace here.

sugarman wrote: »

Oh, I'll get it again, though I have it on Saturn, PS2 and 360/XB1 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I had a choice to get it on steam, xbox, nintendo etc.
    I picked Nintendo. Still waiting on code. Did I pick the wrong option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You only get Nights if you select Steam and link your account. You don't even get a code, it adds the game to your account.

Theres only one legit way to play. Christmas morning, Christmas Nights disc, Christmas pudding, 3d joypad

in the nip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't even know how to respond to that...:)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't even know how to respond to that...:)

ezgif-2-e1c2c0227293.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gradius wrote: »
    Theres only one legit way to play. Christmas morning, Christmas Nights disc, Christmas pudding, 3d joypad

in the nip.

That's disgusting!....

Christmas pudding is horrible.

Master of the Universe

Clearly you're all doing it wrong - Christmas Nights in a Christmas Nightgown.

Nightgown and sleeping cap.
    Degausig wand in the pocket.

Nightgown and sleeping cap.
    Degausig wand in the pocket.

kAc69IZ.png

Master of the Universe

A HV probe for when you need to discharge yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

A warning for Steve x2 and other parcel wizards like myself.
    Seems like it's the end of the road. Posting here as it gets discussed more in this thread

Aristotle wrote: »
    la8J0eM.png

Doge wrote: »
    A warning for Steve x2 and other parcel wizards like myself.
    Seems like it's the end of the road. Posting here as it gets discussed more in this thread

Yeah, it was always on the cards.
    A real pity as I probably have DPD calling to my door 3-4 times a week with Parcel Wizard deliveries :(

An Post's AddressPal sent out an email the other day to say they will still operate the forwarding service, but you will be stung for customs. It's nowhere near as good or cheap as Parcel Wizard, but at least there's some options still left.

bV7ZBzd.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the idea that we'll have to potentially pay customs charges on things from the UK. Pretty much everything I buy has been from Ebay.co.uk for almost 20 years. Am going to have to completely change my buying habits!

Advertisement