Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunbathing, Swimming Naked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've never understood the Irish squeemishness around nudity.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is there much sunbathing to be done in Amsterdam? It wouldn't be top of my list of cities to look for an all over tan? Is the aul riding / looking for the ride not a bigger draw the hanging the frank and beans out in the fresh North Sea air? A fair few patrons you said....

They get better summers there and it can be very hot. Good summers can have temperatures well over 30 degrees.

Peope say Amsterdam all the time but it's an easy city to get out of and The Netherlands has a long coastline of sandy beaches but it does get really packed with nice weather.

Some summers can be a washout though like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With the average Irish summer being 12 degrees, rain and a gale that will cut you in two, I prefer a tight fitting hat, fleece, wind and rainproof jacket, jeans and sturdy shoes.
    Going nude is just an invitation to pneumonia here.

Sorry but that and the common cold are caused by a virus not the weather.

Either way people usually only sun bathe warm weather so why would you by any colder nude compared to having just shorts/swimwear on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Probably has something to do with Irish obesity rates.

With the average Irish summer being 12 degrees, rain and a gale that will cut you in two, I prefer a tight fitting hat, fleece, wind and rainproof jacket, jeans and sturdy shoes.
    Going nude is just an invitation to pneumonia here.

Just how much warmth and protection does a wet pair of football shorts actually give you?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I'm male and always have gone topless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hold on. No one has picked up on the sister bit and the nudity in the same sentence in the OP.

Hold on. No one has picked up on the sister bit and the nudity in the same sentence in the OP.

He never said she went with him - just that he was visiting!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My sister has nothing to do with my swimming naked. I just go to public pools where nude swimming takes place when I'm over visiting her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm Irish. With Irish skin. 2 minutes in a well lit room can give me 2nd degree burns. So I think I'll spare my goolies that little horror if its all the same with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I just assumed they were from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I love skinny dipping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

smash wrote: »
    You lost me at gay resort.

Contact the management and the OP will come pick you up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm Irish. With Irish skin. 2 minutes in a well lit room can give me 2nd degree burns. So I think I'll spare my goolies that little horror if its all the same with you.

You could just put sun cream on. It's not like getting burnt anywhere else is a bunch of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wouldn't have guessed you do Bananahammock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Not a big fan of sunbathing, but I do love swimming naked. I've been told there's a spot not too far from where I live which is remote and unknown enough and some people there will swim naked, so might give that a try this year. It is a shame there aren't any official nudist areas and beaches around here.

And yes, I always sleep naked. Why would you wear anything in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

He never said she went with him - just that he was visiting!

Awh lads, go with me on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

The place in Dalkey is hawks cliff, easily accesible from the vico road and its nothing but a bathing area, go any day in the summer and you will get all age ranges and sexes swimming there. Similar to forty foot but not as crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's on a slight tangent but what is it with Irish people and using a sauna? In continental Northern Europe the sauna is part and parcel of a holistic view of health and well-being. It's sociable as well. It's also an activity that is carried out in the nude.

Not so for Patrick and Petula Prude from Ireland. A towel wrapped around the waist like there's something to hide.

I was at a conference last year with 3 colleagues of mine. We were using the sauna in the health suite of the hotel we were staying in and catching up on what we thought of the speeches, discussions and breakout groups during the 1st day of the gathering.

In walks this peevish looking man with a large towel wrapped around him. He shuffles off into a corner; his eyes giving us the occasional fleeting glimpse. You could tell that he was probably from Ireland or the UK. Chicken legs, hairy back, beer belly, towel wrapped around his waist like a deviant.

The whole thing made my colleague, Stefani, feel very uncomfortable and she used a wonderful German saying to indicate that she thought he was 'interfering' with himself. Why else would he wear a towel in a sauna?

I headed over to the guy and told him that wearing a towel in the sauna was weird and was making the other users feel uncomfortable. He muttered an apology in a strong Munster accent and skuttled out of their very quickly, glasping the towel around his midsection as he did so.

Bizarre behaviour.

Awh lads, go with me on this one!

Trust me, I really wanted the implication in the OP to be as strong as you said it was, but he has too much of an easy out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

IThe whole thing made my colleague, Stefani, feel very uncomfortable and she used a wonderful German saying to indicate that she thought he was 'interfering' with himself. Why else would he wear a towel in a sauna?

He probably just didn't want to make you feel inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In all honesty the sheer newness of it and the gentle breeze across your special place means that you'd probably end up at full mast in full view of everyone else.

No doubt you'd get used to it, but you'd want to spend a bit of time walking around your garden in the nip to get used to it. And then spending some time in a Garda station explaining yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This could possibly stem from growing up in a modern environment where everything you do appears to be monitored or recorded. There's an overwhelming sense of a lack of privacy in every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Shenshen wrote: »

And yes, I always sleep naked. Why would you wear anything in bed?

What if there was a fire or someone broke in, you'd be running around with yer bits flapping about!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

gumbo1 wrote: »
    What if there was a fire or someone broke in, you'd be running around with yer bits flapping about!

What better way to scare of any burglars?
    And I've got a bath robe hanging of a hook on the door, in case I need to answer the door or anything.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So would you swim and sunbathe in your birthday suit? Do you sleep in the nip?

Yea clothing is pretty optional in our house. Never when sleeping. Often not in the garden in the summer. Jacuzzi. Whatever. Not that we particularly _dislike_ clothes of anything - but they generally come off - or fail to go on - whenever possible.

I have noticed in the summer however that our insanely religious neighbour suddenly develops a love of astronomy. Though what stars and planets he expects his telescope to find in the day time - predominantly around the area of our garden - I have yet to work out.

What is there to pick up on exactly? Nudity, swimming, and so forth is just that. Regardless of whether you are doing it with strangers - partners - friends - or family.

So what relevance would his sister even have for us to pick up on? I am not getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Catholic shame and guilt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Catholic shame and guilt
    Not this one again. You do realise the Puritans were Protestant?

Personally I'd not be a fan. Fair enough if someone wants to go nudist. Work away, but just not around me, ta very much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement