Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese translation

• 29-12-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi - I worked for a few months in Shanghai and recently a friend I met there sent me this "ni zhen neng pao" - it Mandarin and I think there is some spelling error but I think somebody who knows Chinese will recognise - but for the love of me I cannot translate - its frustrating me!!! Does anybdy know??? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would 'you're able to run' make any sense?

or possibly 'you're my best friend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jtthreed

Thanks Spurious - the first is definitely on track. It is said in the contect of a relationship - I'm an ex-Pat contracting in China. I have met someone in the last 6 months and am trying to build a relationship but they are finding it hard to trust me - young, free and single and all that stuff!!! Sorry - not turning this into the Agony Aunt Forum:). Just that I can't find the meaning for "pao", "neng" and "zhen" anywhere - I think these are spelt incorrectly.

Thanks fo your prompt reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jtthreed wrote: »
    Thanks Spurious - the first is definitely on track. It is said in the contect of a relationship - I'm an ex-Pat contracting in China. I have met someone in the last 6 months and am trying to build a relationship but they are finding it hard to trust me - young, free and single and all that stuff!!! Sorry - not turning this into the Agony Aunt Forum:). Just that I can't find the meaning for "pao", "neng" and "zhen" anywhere - I think these are spelt incorrectly.

Thanks fo your prompt reply
    try the Chinese forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Moved from Travel to the Chinese Languages forum where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jeannetta

I think your friend is saying that you are really good at running. It dose really depend on in what kind of situation your friend said that. 你真能跑。ni zhen neng pao. Or they could mean you jumped from one place to another place in short amount of time. For example, you were in shanghai today then next day you went back to Dublin. It would be a surprise to your friend. Hope I am not confusing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JOJOGINS

你真能泡

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

你真能 as in you,re certainly able to

Pao is either 跑 as in run or sometimes means go
    Or 泡, as in 泡妞,泡业务 meaning chase girls or sometimes chase business

Advertisement