Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual Contrails over Limerick

• 17-03-2005 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Folks,

I hope that someone out there may be able to help me with this. I would be very happy for a meteorologist to explain this phenomenon for me, and will provide pictures I took if requested.

I am normally a logical minded, skeptical person. But what I witnessed yesterday morning, makes me believe that we are unaware of what is actually happening in ireland's skies.

I Live in Limerick, about 30 miles from Shannon. I am used to seeing aircraft leaving Ireland for , and arriving from the United states. On countless occasions I have seen jet aircraft on the transatlantic route leaving contrails behind them.

These contrails normally last for a few miles, and are seen as a thin band of jet exhaust - ( or, a stream of ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, as the heated exhaust from the jet engine is frozen as it leaves the engine)

Before I go any further, I will say that I am myself a pilot - not of jet aircraft, but of light aircraft. I have also had the jumpseat on a 737 on several occasions, and have seen jet contrails, from above (black as hell), and below, so I know what contrails are.

Yesterday morning, when I looked out of my window, I saw an unusual number of contrails ( 6 in total) However, that did not alarm me, as maybe flight schedules, with delays etc. could account for that.

What did alarm me, was as I watched them, they seemed to transform, from thin vapour trails, to a thick layer of what looked like Alto Cumulous cloud, this thickened to the point where it covered appoximately 5/8 ( five Octares) of the sky, and started to block out the sunlight.

This to my knowledge is Definitely NOT the normal behaviour of a vapour trail.

I have read before about Chemtrails, and always dismissed the reports as exaggerated, or people who are not familiar with vapour trails, making an issue of something that doesnt exist.

However, after my own first hand experience that morning, I have to accept that there is indeed something happening, which we are not aware of.

I do not here put forward any theories, or answers. I have only questions. I would be happy for anyones comments both +ve and -ve. if you would like images, please mail me, I have a load of them.

Kind regards,

Darkstar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Darn those aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sorry Darkstar, maybe you'd have been better off in the paranormal forum after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I have seen that on many an occasion.

I would guess that the water vapour in the air is attracted to the edges of the contrail and it grows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Darkstar05

Could be .. But why so rare .. ?

I have been watching them this morning, and have seen the sky littered with contrails. at least 30 that I have seen since mid morning, and all have dispersed normally, as you would expect.

Strange methinks. !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it possible an aircraft declared an emergency and had dumped fuel?

Advertisement