Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flood warnings?

Options
  • 23-02-2005 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

With all the snow that has fallen on high ground, and so much melted on a daily basis at ground level, are there any flood warnings on any rivers at the mo? Certainly fields are saturated etc...

Local authorities don't give river warnings like they do in the UK....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We have a much better drainage system in Ireland and less concrete jungles, so warnings are rarely required, afterall, 1mm of rain = 1cm of snow, so if there has been 10mm country wide this week in more prone parts, it still should not be a problem.

In frost/thaw/frost scenarios, soils become slow at releasing water to the sub soil levels, hence the bad fields setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, I'm mindful of what happened in Dunboyne, Blanchardstown and Drumcondra 2 years ago with the persistant rain and the Tolka, and with all the melt and it being fed into drains...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think you will find that actual rainfall amounts are nothing unusual for this time of year, and in areas were snow is going to suddenly start melting..thats most likely going to be higher areas and thus areas more used to higher runoffs, probably Dappergent can correct and clarify here, I don't think it will be a problem though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, very true Longfield, but there have been loads of bad planning over the last decade or so, building on flood plains etc. Rivers like the Liffey who start up high in mountains would be ok, but something like the Tolka is likely to occur sooner rather than later. I must have a look-in there tomorrow.

Advertisement