Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

Guys I finally put my blessed 5-1 up but it's not receiving data from the sensor.

It's about 30 feet away from the base but is over a hedge(just). Does it need line of site.
    I can raise it if needed.
    I tried setting it up beside each other but still no joy.

TIA

I don't know the system you're using, but is there a "sensor search" function to pair the sensors on first use?
    Or a channel selector at each end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I don't know the system you're using, but is there a "sensor search" function to pair the sensors on first use?
    Or a channel selector at each end?

This one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0170A47DI/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a scan function but not picking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Is there a channel selector on the console, eg 1-4? If there is leave it on channel 1 first for half an hour and see if it connects, if not go to channel 2 and so on.

A quick look at the manual and there is a LED on the remote sensor that flashes once every 12 seconds or so check that it is active, if not there could be an issue with the battery.

A quick look at the manual and there is a LED on the remote sensor that flashes once every 12 seconds or so check that it is active, if not there could be an issue with the battery.

I'll take another look today. It's new batteries. I literally only set it up this week having had it 5 months ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

For those who may be interested, the new generation of the Weatherflow Weatherstation is on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tempest-a-revolutionary-personal-weather-system

Looks like their past ones had a good reputation.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Marlow wrote: »
    For those who may be interested, the new generation of the Weatherflow Weatherstation is on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tempest-a-revolutionary-personal-weather-system

Looks like their past ones had a good reputation.

/M

I'm not too well up on these, but have installed tipping bucket raingauges with data loggers before, and will be doing so again as part of my work. Just wondering if these can operate offline, can you download the data from them? Do they have a built in data logger? Or does it need to be connected to the internet?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I'm not too well up on these, but have installed tipping bucket raingauges with data loggers before, and will be doing so again as part of my work. Just wondering if these can operate offline, can you download the data from them? Do they have a built in data logger? Or does it need to be connected to the internet?

I looked at that, as my current one operates offline.

These ones are wifi connected and I don't think will work offline out of the box. But they seem to be using a common weather broadcast protocol, so a local logger could maybe be implemented.

I have ordered one and will see, how I get on.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I looked at that, as my current one operates offline.

These ones are wifi connected and I don't think will work offline out of the box. But they seem to be using a common weather broadcast protocol, so a local logger could maybe be implemented.

I have ordered one and will see, how I get on.

/M

At the price, I would nearly consider one to see how it measures up. I normally recommend industry raingauges, with a separate logger, but a client recently went his own way and got a Davis pro. After initial issues with power supply it seems to be working fine so far althoguht early days yet. We have a manual raingauge on site which they will be able to check against down the line (it's the dry season at the moment)

Got it working this evening. Batteries were in the wrong way on the sensor:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Lu Tze wrote: »
    At the price, I would nearly consider one to see how it measures up. [...]

I am very tempted myself. Without any moving parts it'll probably be quite reliable. But I'm also interested in fetching data in offline mode, I'd prefer to collect, process and upload it myself. Think I'll ask few questions on their forum. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    But I'm also interested in fetching data in offline mode, I'd prefer to collect, process and upload it myself. Think I'll ask few questions on their forum. :)

If you get anything back .. please report. I am very much the same.

/M

Unregistered Users

Read some FAQs and other things on their website and decided I will not go for it. Few reasons:

- the only way you can set it up is through a smartphone app - I have no smartphone, I will not have one.

- the only way it connects to a network is through wi-fi. I prefer all non-mobile devices to be wired.

Sorry, not interested anymore.

I am very tempted myself. Without any moving parts it'll probably be quite reliable. But I'm also interested in fetching data in offline mode, I'd prefer to collect, process and upload it myself. Think I'll ask few questions on their forum. :)
    Read some FAQs and other things on their website and decided I will not go for it. Few reasons:

- the only way you can set it up is through a smartphone app - I have no smartphone, I will not have one.

- the only way it connects to a network is through wi-fi. I prefer all non-mobile devices to be wired.

Sorry, not interested anymore.
    I suspect that it would use multicasting back to a server somewhere, a bit like the owl energy monitoring system.
    With the Owl it was possible to intercept the multicast traffic with a raspberrypi and then chart it. At least that way you are free from the subscription that Owl wanted from you to view the data (from your own system).

I suspect that it would use multicasting back to a server somewhere, a bit like the owl energy monitoring system.
    With the Owl it was possible to intercept the multicast traffic with a raspberrypi and then chart it. At least that way you are free from the subscription that Owl wanted from you to view the data (from your own system).

Yes .. it looks very similar .. apart that no subscription is needed. But there's those of us, who really like it old school: keep it local with the "option" of sharing. So that if ****e breaks.... things keep working.

Modern cloud approaches are not sufficient for this.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I did a bit of digging and found this site,
    https://the-gadgeteer.com/2018/11/04/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review/
    it appears that it uses the 433 MHz band, this is the 70cm amateur radio band that is also used by low powered devices such as remote door openers.
    So I don't see the frequency being an issue, maybe it fails on harmonics or something.

This is a bit of necromancy, but did anyone ever buy one of these? I still want one, its by far the best weather station out there overall (Davis's are better but the display and connectivity is appalling). The frequency issue still bugs me, I just wonder if my gate will try to open whenever it transmits.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi all,
    Going to invest in a station soon, anyone know whats the difference between the WH4000SE and the WH3000SE?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Installed my first weather station today, a Froggit WH3000SE. Everything going ok far but don't have the right converter for the euro plug. What are other people using? Thanks

Unregistered Users

Shaver adaptor, or just nothing - EU plug will eventually fit, with a bit of effort. ;)

My dad would have just cut the cord from a defunkt electrical gadget, stripped and taped the wires to the pins and powered that way.

Not that I would recommend this of course.

• Advertisement

My dad would have just cut the cord from a defunkt electrical gadget, stripped and taped the wires to the pins and powered that way.

Not that I would recommend this of course.

Crude.

Any odd key ... car keys are best ... in the earth lock, will let you force a continental connector into a UK plug.

/M

Crude.

Any odd key ... car keys are best ... in the earth lock, will let you force a continental connector into a UK plug.

/M
    I used a screwdriver once to open the socket to connect wires to power a train set once (back in the 1960s), some smoke and a zing from the rails later I decided it wasn't a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Thanks folks, managed to find a converter in one of the drawers by chance and that did the job. I had bought a converter like this one (https://www.satellitetv.ie/fiver-friday-%E2%82%AC5/eu-uk-plug-adaptor) but the supplied euro plug wouldn't fit into it, too big.

Have it transmitting to Wunderground now which I'm delighted withL https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ISKERR1/

The installation site isn't ideal but had to make do with what I have in my small garden. Installed a bracket on the side of the shed so it's about 45cm away from shed and about 2m away from a tall wall behind it. May have to adjust the measurements to account for that but seems reasonably accurate so far

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Fahrenheit!!!

garroff wrote: »
    Fahrenheit!!!
    I assume you're referring to wunderground, US site defaults to "old money" units, there is an option to switch to metric, but annoyingly the pressure gauge image cannot be changed to a metric only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Does anyone have a Netatmo? I tried searching but it seems broken.

It's gone down to £90 for an outdoor and indoor sensor.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01084QX9Y/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_1285150262?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&linkCode=ogi&tag=camelalertsizer-21&th=1

Reading the reviews there does seem there is an issue once you change the batteries on the outdoor unit, Any advice or another smart weather station?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I need help.

My weather station console is not working properly.
    It is a Davis Vantage pro 2 about 9 years old.

The console has the X showing it is receiving from the weather station but it is displaying no data just blank.
    Does anyone know what is wrong and how it can be fixed, please.

Any help in fixing it would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Have you tried removing batteries and A/C supply and reconnecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah I tried that and nothing seems to work. I don't know ow to fix this, it would be easier if just a sensor was broken, but I don't know what is going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It happened to me
    I had to replace the console unfortunately

Advertisement