Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you hate twitter?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Nah...don't hate it. Some chicks have nice pics on their a/c which can be viewed without signing up.
    Couldn't abide a person who checks social media numerous times a day. I understand it's addictive but unless there is something of value being posted, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm an egg.

Have an account. Never tweeted on it. Pop in the odd time if I need to following something of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's very simple to avoid Twitter and not get worked up by what people post on there. The ones who do are just as delicate as the 'snowflake'-stereotypes they accuse of ruining Twitter.

I don't use Twitter and I don't feel like I'm missing out, either positively or negatively. It is what it is. If you don't like it, find something else.

I don't hate Twitter but I hate stupid people, lots of whom are on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Nah...don't hate it. Some chicks have nice pics on their a/c which can be viewed without signing up.
    Couldn't abide a person who checks social media numerous times a day. I understand it's addictive but unless there is something of value being posted, no thanks.

In all honesty, what on earth of any value could be seen on twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't give a **** about Twitter except for one thing, that its now considered "news" that somebody tweeted something.

Such a joke, you will have serious news broadcasters taking time to report that "X responded on Twitter", "here are some responses to the news on twitter", "dumbassJones had this to say on twitter when the news broke".

Imagine 20 years ago Trevor MacDonald saying, "Some guy in a pub had this to say about the main story". It would never have happened, yet now ****ing idiots quote twitter all the time.

And don't get me started on idiots repeating sports rumors they heard on twitter. "Theres a tweet saying Cantona is going to Madrid!!!". Who gives a ****, might as well say that your Uncle says Cantona is going to Madrid, it would have the same value.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need a 'meh' option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I wouldn't give a **** about Twitter except for one thing, that its now considered "news" that somebody tweeted something.

Such a joke, you will have serious news broadcasters taking time to report that "X responded on Twitter", "here are some responses to the news on twitter", "dumbassJones had this to say on twitter when the news broke".

Imagine 20 years ago Trevor MacDonald saying, "Some guy in a pub had this to say about the main story". It would never have happened, yet now ****ing idiots quote twitter all the time.

And don't get me started on idiots repeating sports rumors they heard on twitter. "Theres a tweet saying Cantona is going to Madrid!!!". Who gives a ****, might as well say that your Uncle says Cantona is going to Madrid, it would have the same value.

But don't you love the headlines like "Twitter explodes" or "Twitter eviscerates", usually about some topic that shouldn't be news worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Patww79 wrote: »

It wasn't exactly difficult to get these things before twitter in numerous, combined ways.

But that's a side-effect IMO. Twitter is famous for, and used for, attention seeking whores, wannabe attention whores, and celebrity-obsessed goons who want to feel more important than they actually are or ever will be.

Of course you could be a cool, laid back dude that's too cool and laid back to care about being a cool, laid back dude. Like everyone else on Twitter, or facebook, they "just" use it for incidental things, its never them :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like to get local news updates/AA road watch news/etc. I'm not into people having debates/slagging matches on Twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The 'Sinn Fein' tweet which changed the course of the Presidential election could be deemed as having some value depending on one's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ipso wrote: »
    But don't you love the headlines like "Twitter explodes" or "Twitter eviscerates", usually about some topic that shouldn't be news worthy.

No, I don't.

I'd be happy for Twitter and its users to work away, tweet all they want, no skin off my nose. Just stop pretending that its news or is in anyway important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

..."some chicks having nice pics on their a/c..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I use it mainly for updates in traditional news, broadcasting, movies & TV shows. It's very good for those uses.

Although I do not login to Twitter to see them because I don't have to obtain an account. I just read the tweets offline & will be grand afterwards.

If you limit your use on Twitter for things that interest you. That is fine too. Nobody cares otherwise if you want to avoid the vacuous sh1te.

Advertisement