Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

downcow wrote: »
    Not a chance

So you are against the GFA then and the legitimate aspirations for a UI contained therein?

You probably should have read it before you voted for it I guess.

Tell me where in the uk it is illegal to fly the union flag. You are at your nonsense again.

Ooooh. You actually don't have a clue about why the flag protests began in the first place? Do you? That's embarrassing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_City_Hall_flag_protests

Educate your wee ceann.

You are inferring a lot there big man. None of it remotely implied.

I’m just keeping it real, M’kay?

You say that voting for bigots is legitimate.

I'm saying that bigots have no place in any modern society, m'kay?

Serious strammanning going on here

That poster didnt say remotely what you implied he did and then you proceed to critise him for what your imagination said

:pac:

It's impressive even for DC when he couldn't dig himself out of that hole.

I'd be embarrassed not to know why the flag protests existed of I was a Unionist in a Nationalist town in An Dún.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So you are against the GFA then and the legitimate aspirations for a UI contained therein?

You probably should have read it before you voted for it I guess.

I don’t know where you are getting that. I support/supported the gfa. There was nothing in it that threatened me as there will never be a majority here wanting to unite the island.

• Advertisement

It's impressive even for DC when he couldn't dig himself out of that hole.

I'd be embarrassed not to know why the flag protests existed of I was a Unionist in a Nationalist town in An Dún.

Much as you would like to spin for the benifit of others. I don’t recall mentioning the flags protest. But no doubt you’ll produce the link.

I think I’m going to take Francie off ignore as even he doesn’t twist misrepresent and spin quite as much as you. Lol

I don’t know where you are getting that. I support/supported the gfa. There was nothing in it that threatened me as there will never be a majority here wanting to unite the island.

Your words indicate otherwise.

If you don't feel threatened then what's your problem with an ILA?

If you don't think majority want a UI why are you so angry at the idea of a border poll?

Why do you constantly go on with a bunker mentality that seems to think that the ROI would treat Unionists with the disgusting contempt that Unionism treated Nationalists in NI since the sectarian statelet was imposed upon the Irish people?

Your days of having a veto are over. As it should be.

Much as you would like to spin for the benifit of others. I don’t recall mentioning the flags protest. But no doubt you’ll produce the link.

I think I’m going to take Francie off ignore as even he doesn’t twist misrepresent and spin quite as much as you. Lol

You literally have no idea what I referenced when I posted about the "removal of the Union flag of public buildings in line with the rest of the UK".

It's your lack of knowledge on that subject meant that I felt it was important that you educated yourself as to what I referred to and the fact that it resulted in protests. Protests from anti-democratic loyalists who seemingly wanted Belfast/Belfast City Hall and by extension Northern Ireland to be treated differently to Britain. Which isn't very "unionist" I would have thought.

Your words indicate otherwise.

If you don't feel threatened then what's your problem with an ILA?

If you don't think majority want a UI why are you so angry at the idea of a border poll?

Why do you constantly go on with a bunker mentality that seems to think that the ROI would treat Unionists with the disgusting contempt that Unionism treated Nationalists in NI since the sectarian statelet was imposed upon the Irish people?

Your days of having a veto are over. As it should be.

You are just not getting it. I actually don’t think the roi government would purposely treat my community with contempt. That’s not the issue.
    No matter whether they deliver us cream buns every day, it’s not happening.
    It would be like saying to a Scot that if the English be nice to you would you not just let them absorb your country.
    Another why negotiations would serve no purpose.
    I don’t dislike southerners. I am just not about to surrender my country to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

You are just not getting it. I actually don’t think the roi government would purposely treat my community with contempt. That’s not the issue.
    It would be like saying to a Scot that if the English be nice to you would you not just let them absorb your country.
    I don’t dislike southerners. I am just not about to surrender my country to them.

What are you going to do when the UK/Tories throws you under the bus again regarding the border poll/United Ireland like they did with Brexit? Or if the UK falls apart with Scotland, Wales, and NI becoming independent?

• Advertisement

Surrender your country?

What?

Do the Nationalists in NI have no say who are nearly 100 years putting up with unionist bigotry?

Anyway, 50%+1 is all that matters! You voted for this in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Why do you keep picking analogies which have no relationship to the de facto one between the ROI and the north? We get it you won’t vote for a United Ireland but the point is that there is a majority away from hardline unionism and loyalists who could vote for it. Brexit has the potential to destroy the Uk and if SNP get a good vote in the next elections another independence referendum can’t be far away.

What are you going to do when the UK/Tories throws you under the bus again regarding the border poll/United Ireland like they did with Brexit? Or if the UK falls apart with Scotland, Wales, and NI becoming independent?

NI won't be independent. No one in NI wants this. Why would Nationalists silo themselves with people that don't agree with their aspirations?

The GFA has only two possible scenarios; NI as part of the UK or a United Ireland. That's it. If people want to agitate for changes to the GFA, then that is their prerogative. In the meantime the rest of us are gonna continue down this road.

We are a resilient people. Probably no more or less resilient than the Irish. So we will do our best in whatever of you hypothetical scenarios occur.
    But I think I said earlier, there are about 200 other countries I would unite with before roi , and we have never been united with most of them either.

Why do you keep picking analogies which have no relationship to the de facto one between the ROI and the north? We get it you won’t vote for a United Ireland but the point is that there is a majority away from hardline unionism and loyalists who could vote for it. Brexit has the potential to destroy the Uk and if SNP get a good vote in the next elections another independence referendum can’t be far away.
    I can’t disagree with much of that but it is all a bit hypothetical and I could add lots more hypothetical scenarios eg Uk flourishes as part of Europe but outside the EU project and it’s four nations enjoy the benifits

NI won't be independent. No one in NI wants this. Why would Nationalists silo themselves with people that don't agree with their aspirations?

The GFA has only two possible scenarios; NI as part of the UK or a United Ireland. That's it. If people want to agitate for changes to the GFA, then that is their prerogative. In the meantime the rest of us are gonna continue down this road.

I agree completely and I don’t hear anyone agitating for change to GFA except some republicans.
    I don’t here a single unionist advocating change to the voting arrangements, even jim Alistair, simply confident there will never be a majority.
    The time for agitating would be after the hypothetical implementation

We are a resilient people. Probably no more or less resilient than the Irish. So we will do our best in whatever of you hypothetical scenarios occur.
    But I think I said earlier, there are about 200 other countries I would unite with before roi , and we have never been united with most of them either.

You would rather unite with France or Sweden or Vietnam than the rest of your people on your Island? Does that hold true in the event of a democratic vote whereby the residents of NI vote to reject the UK?

And you say you're not bitter and beligerent and have Nationalist friends? Gas.

You're too far gone to consider convincing or recruiting for a yes vote. Thankfully your cohort are diminishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No you don't laugh...don't be trying to cod anyone. You cannot bear a woman delivering this...is that what all the sexist cliches, (that say more about you btw) are about?
    What are you spewing about? What has been delivered?

I agree completely and I don’t hear anyone agitating for change to GFA except some republicans.
    I don’t here a single unionist advocating change to the voting arrangements, even jim Alistair, simply confident there will never be a majority.
    The time for agitating would be after the hypothetical implementation

What Republicans are agitating for a change to the GFA?

You obviously have proof of that assertion?

You would rather unite with France or Sweden or Vietnam than the rest of your people on your Island? Does that hold true in the event of a democratic vote whereby the residents of NI vote to reject the UK?

And you say you're not bitter and beligerent and have Nationalist friends? Gas.

You're too far gone to consider convincing or recruiting for a yes vote. Thankfully your cohort are diminishing.

Let me genuinely help you bonnie.
    Would you ever vote to unite roi with England? And if you had to unite with someone would you chose France or England?
    Does that help you understand?

• Advertisement

What Republicans are agitating for a change to the GFA?

You obviously have proof of that assertion?

I apologise if I am wrong but I thought the Continuity IRA, the 32 whatever, soairse, etc were all desperate for change to it. I think bobby sands family want the gfa scrapped - am I correct?

Edit. Here is a wee link as you requested one https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/sands-death-to-haunt-sinn-fein-leadership-25-years-on-26382362.html

So you would rather unite with Syria or Iraq or the Democratic Republic of the Congo over the Republic of Ireland? Let your country become majority Muslim or majority Congolese just so themmuns don't get control of Ulster?

Let me genuinely help you bonnie.
    Would you ever vote to unite roi with England? And if you had to unite with someone would you chose France or England?
    Does that help you understand?

Well, no.

See there is an ACTUAL legal treaty in place that you voted for, that says that in the event of a majority of the people so voting, that Ireland will be United.

Why do we need your hypothetical nonsense?

I asked you straight out whether you would rather unite with France, Sweden or Vietnam than with the rest of your people on your Island, and you threw me another bizarre hypothetical.

No one in Ireland is agitating for a vote to join England or France or anywhere else. There's no need to talk nonsense when we have an actual treaty in place that we can discuss. Your blind hatred for your fellow Irishmen shows why NI continues to be a cold house for Nationalists and why they will vote to consign the hideous construct to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,774 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    What are you spewing about? What has been delivered?

The person being a small minded sexist is accusing someone else of 'spewing'? Some self awareness might come in handy there Edg. ;)

You cannot bear the thought of a woman delivering change (or rather a SF woman.) hence all the sexist ranting about 'fish-wifes' etc.

I apologise if I am wrong but I thought the Continuity IRA, the 32 whatever, soairse, etc were all desperate for change to it. I think bobby sands family want the gfa scrapped - am I correct?

Edit. Here is a wee link as you requested one https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/sands-death-to-haunt-sinn-fein-leadership-25-years-on-26382362.html

Meh. So fringe groups with no political or public support is your reference point? As opposed to 99% of the rest to the island who support the GFA. Why are your points and positions always so laboured and weak? Is this why you would rather be Swedish?

What does the GFA say in the event the United Kingdom balkanises? Does NI go to Ireland by default then?

So you would rather unite with Syria or Iraq or the Democratic Republic of the Congo over the Republic of Ireland? Let your country become majority Muslim or majority Congolese just so themmuns don't get control of Ulster?

Now you are ripping the arse out of it. No I rather be with you guys. Although that does sound like a list of countries the ira were comfortable cosying up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,774 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And how are they getting on?

What does the GFA say in the event the United Kingdom balkanises? Does NI go to Ireland by default then?

It won't Balkanise.

If it where to though, the SOS will bring forward a referendum pretty quickly no doubt. The legal method exists so there's no need to not use it. Last thing you want to do is give beligerent unionists excuses to attack the legitimacy of the aspirations of Irishmen and women more than they already do.

• Advertisement

Now you are ripping the arse out of it. No I rather be with you guys. Although that does sound like a list of countries the ira were comfortable cosying up to.

You said there were 200 countries you would rather be with than be in a UI!

Sorry if you confused us by thinking what you wrote to mean what the words indicate.

Advertisement