Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hagia Sophia Istanbul turned back into a Mosque

Options
  • 10-07-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭

The Turkish courts have allowed the government to turn Hagia Sophia back into a mosque. It overturned a previous 1934 government decision to turn the amazing building into a museum to be equally shared between Moslems and Christians.

For it to be a functioning mosque, some of the ancient Christian wall paintings will have to be removed or painted over again.

When will this madness end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

smurfjed wrote: »
    The Turkish courts have allowed the government to turn Hagia Sophia back into a mosque. It overturned a previous 1934 government decision to turn the amazing building into a museum to be equally shared between Moslems and Christians.

For it to be a functioning mosque, some of the ancient Christian wall paintings will have to be removed or painted over again.

When will this madness end?

Have you got a link to paintings and artwork potentially being destroyed? I can't seem to find anything about it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It’s an opinion based on the fact that they have spent years painstakingly removing layers of paint that were hiding Christian paintings when it previously was used as a Mosque. So at least to me, it stands to reason that they shall remove them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you got a link to paintings and artwork potentially being destroyed? I can't seem to find anything about it online.
    I think these could be the ones referred to
    https://istanbulclues.com/hagia-sophia-mosaics/
    https://www.newsweek.com/2015/06/12/battle-over-hagia-sophia-338091.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Will they also remove the ladder that has been there for hundreds of years and no one was to touch? I dont think it is a step in the right direction but Muslim majority country will always do things that in the end favor themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Funny coincidence

Was only looking at an ep of that God program Morgan Freeman presents last night and there was a section where one of his lackeys visits the Hagia Sophia.
    Beautiful building, rich history and frankly, found its place as a unique museum.

Gonna end in trouble if there are any alterations, and there will always be some lobby looking to reclaim at the expense of others despite public claims of leaving it an open, visitor friendly place of worship. Political motivation from Erdogan, nothing more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Will they also remove the ladder that has been there for hundreds of years and no one was to touch? I dont think it is a step in the right direction but Muslim majority country will always do things that in the end favor themselves.

That's in Jerusalem I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That's in Jerusalem I think.

It is .in the church of the Holy Scepulchre.do you know why it can't be moved? Its the result of an agreement called 'The Status Quo'.

The care over the church is shared by no less than six denominations. The primary custodians are the Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic and Roman Catholic Church, with lesser duties shared by Coptic, Ethiopian and Syriac Orthodox churches.

They all cannot agree as to who owns it.

Because they have to get 5 christian groups to agree for it to be moved ...its a symbol of christian division.

Also certain people try grabbing it in the name of one group sometimes ...

They keep having fights about it ..some of them get violent..

Its like MONTY PYTHON! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It's a pretty disappointing decision. I was inside when I went to Istanbul last spring. It's probably one of the more impressive places in the city precisely because you can see both the Christian and the Islamic influences in the museum.

When it is converted back into a mosque they will have to remove the Christian materials from there. Having nosed into the other mosques in the city such as the Suleymaniye Mosque and the Blue Mosque the Haggia Sophia is much more interesting purely because they have no inscriptions in the mosques apart from the Arabic word for Allah everywhere and abstract shapes. Pictures and depictions are not permissible in Islam, this is why they will be painted over.

I think its probably yet another move by Erdogan to undermine the secular nature of the Turkish state.

Make Istanbul Constantinople again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Oh boo hoo one less tourist attraction, how will society cope

• Advertisement

I have visited Istanbul in the past, and tbh I'd visit it again even if this changed.
    The Grand Bazaar is amazing.
    I just hope they only cover the Christian relics and don't destroy them.

If you go, try the Turkish pizza Lahmacun
    Don't get the kebab, it is very different from our version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Brian Hartman

biko wrote: »
    Make Istanbul Constantinople again.

Deus Vult!

I have visited Istanbul in the past, and tbh I'd visit it again even if this changed.
    The Grand Bazaar is amazing.
    I just hope they only cover the Christian relics and don't destroy them.

If you go, try the Turkish pizza Lahmacun
    Don't get the kebab, it is very different from our version.

Yes it is an amazing city. But sad to see Turkey succumb to Islamists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

Yes it is an amazing city. But sad to see Turkey succumb to Islamists.

That happened in 1453 after the Eastern Roman Empire was betrayed by mainland Europeans. Turkey has been Muslim since.

nofiller69 wrote: »
    That happened in 1453 after the Eastern Roman Empire was betrayed by mainland Europeans. Turkey has been Muslim since.

It has been a secular country since the end of WWI

It has been a secular country since the end of WWI

Meh secularism on paper has more to do with human rights and preventing discrimination through legislation and courts.

The reality is 98-99% of Turks are muslim.

Meh secularism on paper has more to do with human rights and preventing discrimination through legislation and courts.

The reality is 98-99% of Turks are muslim.

You need to read about Ataturk and the reforms he brought in.

You need to read about Ataturk and the reforms he brought in.

You need to come back to reality.

99% Muslim since the 1500s.

You need to come back to reality.

99% Muslim since the 1500s.

You need to read a book and understand how the ruins of the Ottoman Empire become the Turkish republic.

You need to read a book and understand how the ruins of the Ottoman Empire become the Turkish republic.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

98-99% of Turks are registered as muslim in 2020.

None of that Ataturk, Turkish republic reform crap actually means anything in reality.

Secularisation of Turkey is about centralizing government, removing state/church duopoly and giving removing legislated bias against other religions.

Come back to reality mate.

• Advertisement

Do walk across the bridge to the eastern side, it's not as touristy (yes, I understand the irony in guiding tourists to un-touristy areas).

When my female friends walked alone they noticed the locals can be very "forward".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Deus Vult!

Fairly bad taste on the 25th anniversary of Srebenica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Muslims are all about Minority rights when they're the minority. Not so much when they're the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They should be able to board up the pictures rather than paint over them, whether they will or not is another question

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Do walk across the bride to the eastern side, it's not as touristy (yes, I understand the irony in guiding tourists to un-touristy areas).

When my female friends walked alone they noticed the locals can be very "forward".

They're very brave to even walk alone in that area B.

Just like the Kaaba, the Hagia Sofia belonged to another religion but is now used by Islam.

No church is safe - a Christian association called Friends of the Protestant Church in Berlin published a report on the conversion of ten churches in Germany into mosques 2019. It said the phenomenon was not new but it was repeated and deliberate. SRC

steddyeddy wrote: »
    They're very brave to even walk alone in that area B.

The same can be said about Malmo, Paris, Oslo, Cologne and many other 'diverse' places in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just like the Kaaba, the Hagia Sofia belonged to another religion but is now used by Islam.

No church is safe - a Christian association called Friends of the Protestant Church in Berlin published a report on the conversion of ten churches in Germany into mosques 2019. It said the phenomenon was not new but it was repeated and deliberate. SRC

perhaps those friends of the protestant church should have bought the churches for themselves if they are so worried? though presumably they were actually ex-churches at the time they were bought so just buildings that no longer had any religious significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Build a wall

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

At the end of 2018, the Nur Mosque was inaugurated in Hamburg after a Muslim investor bought a church and donated it to the Islamic centre of the city. Similar actions were carried out in the Netherlands, Britain and France. The most prominent examples of the actions were the openings of Al Fateh Mosque in Amsterdam, the Sultan Ayoub Mosque and the Osman Ghazi Mosque in the Netherlands. In France, the Dominican Church in Lille and the Saint Joseph Church in Paris have been turned into mosques.

Maybe the ones that don't put themselves up for sale will be safe :rolleyes:

edit: ohnonotgmail got there first

Advertisement