Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much money do you have left over at bills are paid

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Well, what's your age and education?

If you're in your 20s and on 95k you're doing very well financially.

A huge mortgage and BMW doesn't give you class, but as a single guy on a 95k wage you can probably live in a working class neighbourhood or get a small apartment in a middle class neighbourhood.

I sense you're out of touch with how much people earn.

Who do you know on 95K in their 20s? As someone in that age bracket I know of no one. You’d either want to have a family inherited business that fell into your lap, or seriously advanced / ahead of your time and climbed the ladder fierce quickly?
    It’s bound to be a seriously small percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Who do you know on 95K in their 20s? As someone in that age bracket I know of no one. You’d either want to have a family inherited business that fell into your lap, or seriously advanced / ahead of your time and climbed the ladder fierce quickly?

If your fresh out of college with an engineering degree and take a job with intel as a technician you can earn that after 6 years if your motived. Most techs on 80k + all in out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If your fresh out of college with an engineering degree and take a job with intel as a technician you can earn that after 6 years if your motived. Most techs on 80k + all in out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My father always said.....

Someone who talks about their money, shows you their money, in reality, probably has very little money ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I see lickalot has left the building, no doubt off to spend more money.

Probably off to get some heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

lickalot wrote: »
    I earn 45K. Mortgage is 540 a month. I drive a 1500 euro car which drives perfect.

I'm single and after my bills are paid i have 2300(Excluding electric, fuel, food) left over to do whatever I please with for the month.

I travel all over the world whenever I can and been to 34 different countries.

I love my life.

As long as you love your life and are happy . travelling is great one of the best things to spend money on . Your mortgage is very cheap fair play . I'm only starting to save for a mortgage now in my late 20s.
    no problem having a car worth 1500 once your happy with it , my car is 15k but I did trade my last car in so didnt pay to much towards it .

45k is a decent salary but key point is tax not much after that all well and good saying I make 60k or 90k but what it is after tax is what's important. I make 4,800 a month after tax is gone and I do work hard for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I used to ask myself this question, then I realised that until my BMI was absolutely perfect I couldn't enjoy myself no matter what I had. I lost a pound to get my BMI right in the middle of perfect and life changed for me within hours. It's been a constant hill climb but my hill has no top. I'm earning 4 times what I was earning when I had my epiphany and now dont even count money, I just spend it as I please. Houses paid for. Tenants happy out. I'm home a few weeks and have started getting involved in community work. That's like money for the soul, it's the real payment.
    least you are not fat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I know a few. Many of my colleagues, a few family members, me.

It's not abnormal.

But my point was if you're going to come to boards with the purpose of bragging about your income, you should have something to brag about rather than being lower middle class.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

lickalot wrote: »
    I earn 45K. Mortgage is 540 a month. I drive a 1500 euro car which drives perfect.

I'm single and after my bills are paid i have 2300(Excluding electric, fuel, food) left over to do whatever I please with for the month.

I travel all over the world whenever I can and been to 34 different countries.

I love my life.

It would make sense to increase the mortgage repayments.

I have always found that people who try to impress others with their financial status have issues, often money related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's not abnormal.

But my point was if you're going to come to boards with the purpose of bragging about your income, you should have something to brag about rather than being lower middle class.

You sound like a right knob tbf. OP said he was happy and travels a lot, sounds like a great life to me.

• Advertisement

Engineering - what would their role be, a technician for what? That’s very interesting...

It's not abnormal.

What do you and they do? Engineers/technicians as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I don't see it as bragging about his income, this type of thread comes up regularly on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lickalot wrote:
    I love my life.

Best of luck with it, enjoy it while you can, life has a strange way of changing, unexpectedly

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

mike_ie wrote: »
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Original

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not quite, I worked on a project in Intel (but not for Intel) for a period of time and the salaries in the link seem accurate. There are some perks and extra money can be earned by doing overtime, but to say most technicians are on €80k + is highly inaccurate.

2011 wrote:
    I worked on a project in Intel (but not for Intel) for a period of time and the salaries in the link seem accurate.

Horrible working environment I'm told, usual American corporation bollocks

Yeah most lads I know won’t touch intel with a barge pole on the project works. “State prison/ant farm” are the words regularly thrown around.

CBear1993 wrote:
    Yeah most lads I know won’t touch intel with a barge pole on the project works. “State prison/ant farm†are the words regularly thrown around.

Cut throat I'm told, fcuk everyone over, threat everyone like sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

McCrack wrote: »
    Original

Edgy retort there. :rolleyes:

I make less now than I did as an engineer in Europe, but due to cost of living expenses where I live and the fact that I'm not supporting a family, my disposable income is now far greater. I can usually put away 90% of my monthly income, sometimes higher, depending on per diem payments.

mike_ie wrote:
    I make less now than I did as an engineer in Europe, but due to cost of living expenses where I live and the fact that I'm not supporting a family, my disposable income is now far greater. I can usually put away 90% of my monthly income, sometimes higher, depending on per diem payments.

Holy crap, 90%, I'd love that, fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The time I had the most disposable after-expenses income was when I was just out of college. I worked in London and I used to get paid £100 a day, 6 days a week. This was in the late-90s.

I was living in an old house with 4 other lads in a dodgy area of NW London. We were all still living like students, other than a weekly tube ticket we spent feck all. Even when we were heading out we used to drink a load of cans before hand in the house before we hit the pubs and clubs.

We did our weekly shopping in Budgens FFS!

I had more money at the end of the week than I knew what to do with. After living a student lifestyle for 4 years, I literally couldn't couldn't conceive of how I would go about spending that much money.

Those 12 months were brilliant. I thought I was just starting out, but in reality I had hit my peak - it was all downhill after this in terms of disposable income. Your lifestyle just expands to suck up the available resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

I include savings/pension as "bills" i.e. pay yourself first and all that. Usually at the end of the month, there's a few hundred quid above the "float" and I shove that all in the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You sound like a right knob tbf. OP said he was happy and travels a lot, sounds like a great life to me.

People you disagree with are knobs?

Are you sure you're not the knob?
    What do you and they do? Engineers/technicians as well?

IT, management, medical, engineering, banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

No, People who put down other people for no reason calling their house car and job **** are knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Who care, we’re all different at different stages of life with various financial commitments to service. So long as you have enough to feel like you’re not working for nothing, that’s all that matters. Some spend it on travel/ cars/ clothing others save it. We’re all different so this general question will only serve to make some people feel inferior and others superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I think it's pretty obvious how the OP took your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The time I had the most disposable after-expenses income was when I was just out of college. I worked in London and I used to get paid £100 a day, 6 days a week. This was in the late-90s.

I was living in an old house with 4 other lads in a dodgy area of NW London. We were all still living like students, other than a weekly tube ticket we spent feck all. Even when we were heading out we used to drink a load of cans before hand in the house before we hit the pubs and clubs.

We did our weekly shopping in Budgens FFS!

I had more money at the end of the week than I knew what to do with. After living a student lifestyle for 4 years, I literally couldn't couldn't conceive of how I would go about spending that much money.

Those 12 months were brilliant. I thought I was just starting out, but in reality I had hit my peak - it was all downhill after this in terms of disposable income. Your lifestyle just expands to suck up the available resources.

It doesn't have to. say you are on 25,000 a year, you drive a car worth 5,000, spend 1,000 per month rent, go on a holiday at a cost of 2,000 all in. save a little.
    Then after a few years you are on 50,000. chances are you now drive a car worth 20,000 or more, live in a nicer house, pay higher rent or mortgage, go on more expensive holidays. That is what most people do but you don't have to. The 5,000 euro car was fine, the other place you rented was fine as well and so were the cheaper holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

IT, management, medical, engineering, banking.

So all jobs you need to make 95k from are ones you have to go college for 5+ years from or be in management that would take 10+ years to get to . Seems like all stressful jobs with long hours prob work 60+ a week to make that .

You can make that money from jobs you dont need a degree for or have something on the side you get cash in hand tax free. All depends how stressful it is and can you actually have a life and not just work work work.

Advertisement