Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

@ Caroline, What ever tyre you choose Mrs Fowl and I shall be cheering you on from the VIP area :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will be in during a study break:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

RobFowl wrote: »
    @ Caroline, What ever tyre you choose Mrs Fowl and I shall be cheering you on from the VIP area :cool:
    Any free passes? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Any pubs near the action.....and by action I mean dodgey corners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

kona wrote: »
    Any pubs near the action.....and by action I mean dodgey corners :)

Pubs along route from start to finish:
    1. Lord Edward (Just about I think iirc)
    2. Castle
    3. Isoldes Tower
    4. Turks Head
    5. Porterhouse
    6. Clarence Hotel
    7. Bad bobs - now called Purty something
    8. Fitzsimons - corner alert!!
    9. Not sure what's on Eustace St
    10. Lapellos ( not technically a pub ;-) )
    11. Thomas Reads and ancillary haunts i.e. The Oak
    12. Some other large place on right just before finish line
    Missed any?

By looks of things I still can't see any announcement for support races other than the ladies race mentioned here by Caroline - even though its been stated that there would be 3 such races and roads are set to be closed from 2.30pm to 6pm in advance of the main event.

It's just over a week to go - where do they think they will get riders for these races from if there is no notice - I gather there will now be no such races - what a shame ;-(

It's gas - a few years back the Ras could start on O'Connell St and finish back there or in the Park with a Crit.

Now it's relegated to Dungboyne and Skerries.

Funny though how multi-national corporates (Halfords, with all due respect to them for sponsoring this event and making it happen) can have a main street etc in Dublin closed on a Saturday afternoon / evening and it ain't even clear yet if the availability of the circuit will be maximised by those organising the support races!?!?

Or am I missing something obvious - apologies if this is the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Pubs along route from start to finish:
    1. Lord Edward (Just about I think iirc)
    2. Castle
    3. Isoldes Tower
    4. Turks Head
    5. Porterhouse
    6. Clarence Hotel
    7. Bad bobs - now called Purty something
    8. Fitzsimons - corner alert!!
    9. Not sure what's on Eustace St
    10. Lapellos ( not technically a pub ;-) )
    11. Thomas Reads and ancillary haunts i.e. The Oak
    12. Some other large place on right just before finish line
    Missed any?

13. Karma (Fishamble Street)
    14. Farringtons (opposite Fitzsimons)
    15. The Mezz (Eustace Street)
    16. The IFI Bar (Eustace Street)
    17. Peader Kearneys (Dame Street)
    18. Brogans - (Dame Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

sy wrote: »
    Will I bring my camera Caroline?
    There will be a couple of neutralized laps ... so you might be able to get a few pics before I fail miserably. Godihatethehils and LDB should also be here.
    Sure, I will join you when I am dropped :) ... keep a seat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

There will be a couple of neutralized laps ... so you might be able to get a few pics before I fail miserably. Godihatethehils and LDB should also be here.

yep I'll be there. not sure about these cobbles though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

ON Thur morning commuting to work I did most of the circuit (apart from the street that is closed by IFI/Monthys of Kathmandu). Was on 23's on alu road bike with carbon forks. Tried to put a bit of speed down on what were empty roads at about 640am.
    Its tough, very tough. Lots of feedback from the road. I tried the standard cobble tactic of lightly gripping the centre of the bars. Didnt feel confident at all, felt as if I would slip off the bars, so went back to hoods and drops.
    Best of luck Caroline (and whoever is doing this). I qouldnt have the cajones for doing this on a crowded race.

LDB wrote: »
    yep I'll be there. not sure about these cobbles though :(
    Just practice your 'oh no my chain dropped' skills ... and jump back in the group at the next lap :P

• Advertisement

I have my string of unfortunate accidents as my back pocket excuse if required!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

@LBD, was that you I saw sprinting out of Baldoyle towards Portmarnock this evening around 6? Certainly pushing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

ROK ON wrote: »
    ON Thur morning commuting to work I did most of the circuit (apart from the street that is closed by IFI/Monthys of Kathmandu). Was on 23's on alu road bike with carbon forks. Tried to put a bit of speed down on what were empty roads at about 640am.
    Its tough, very tough. Lots of feedback from the road. I tried the standard cobble tactic of lightly gripping the centre of the bars. Didnt feel confident at all, felt as if I would slip off the bars, so went back to hoods and drops.
    Best of luck Caroline (and whoever is doing this). I qouldnt have the cajones for doing this on a crowded race.

25s could help some. New, or double-wrapped bar tape will help a lot.

FYI: in crits, you need to spend as much time in the drops as you can, especially cornering.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    @LBD, was that you I saw sprinting out of Baldoyle towards Portmarnock this evening around 6? Certainly pushing it...

No, not me. I was heading through there alright but more like at 12 or 1

Will Dublin City Council have Eustace St ready in time?

Part of it was dug up this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Will Dublin City Council have Eustace St ready in time?

Part of it was dug up this morning

Yeah - I noticed that yesterday - when I took a walk into the city to watch the event (1 week early doh)..

Have not seen other races from the series much on tv but I gather its a team thing?

So first across the line doesn't count for a whole lot if rest of team is far behind!!?

Is there even a first prize? or all team stuff?

Will Irish guys just go for individual glory anyway given they don't care as much about the series as UK riders!? Are the races in Dublin and Belfast part of the overall series points classification or is it an entirely separate series in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sonvolt

The races in Ireland are part of a seperate series, Tour Series Ireland, so with the points there is no carryover from UK series. There are 2 rounds here Belfast & Dublin.

See www.tourseries.ie for latest details.

Geoff Liffey
    Cycling Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've had a sneaky look at the start list and it's good.
    At least one Boardsie on it ;)

I've had a sneaky look at the start list and it's good.
    At least one Boardsie on it ;)
    MrSkeff?

• Advertisement

MrSkeff?
    Not on the one I saw
    More of a french fungal delicacy seeker

where is the start list ...

where is the start list ...

Not yet published

GGGrrrrrr

Just looking at the curcuits i realised ... I can't corner right

Just looking at the curcuits i realised ... I can't corner right

All week to practice....

I am just not an ambiturner ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just wave it off as you do the circuit the other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is the circuit not going anti-clockwise? I'll have to adjust my preferred watching spots list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Anyone any ideas where you could get haybales for those tricky corners? :eek:

Advertisement