Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scrabble to ban the word "culchie" in America.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

True - though does non-offensive trump offensive?

I find that offensive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

joeguevara wrote: »
    Collins Dictionary says it is derived from an incorrect pronunciation of the Mayo town Kiltimagh, when in fact it is derived from the Irish word 'coillte' meaning woods.

As a culchie from Kiltimagh im going with Collins on this one. Round here it certainly isn't a derogatory word, it's a proud boast to call oneself a culchie. In Brendan Behan’s Confessions of an Irish Rebel, he refers to ‘the Culchiemachs, as we called the Irish-speaking people’

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Or another way to put it is that a culchie lives in an urban area outside Dublin, while a bogger lives in a rural one. Bonus bogger points if you're farming stock.

It's not really a serious thing though.

Fairly common for lads in towns around the country to refer to countryside people as "culchies" and then they were "townies".

I grew up in an area a couple of mile from a medium sized town and some of these townies would call us culchies. Half of them could probably see a herd of cows from their back window, but that didn't matter to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

As a culchie from Kiltimagh im going with Collins on this one. Round here it certainly isn't a derogatory word, it's a proud boast to call oneself a culchie. In Brendan Behan’s Confessions of an Irish Rebel, he refers to ‘the Culchiemachs, as we called the Irish-speaking people’
    Given that the Irish for Kiltimagh is Coillte Mach you’re both right.

But you’re more right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It’s like how the people of Cork seem to think the place is called the Rebel county because they stood up to the British during the war of independence. It isn’t.

It’s for their support of the House of York during the English civil war.

Queenstown, or should I say Cork is more Jackeen than Dublin ever has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ush1 wrote: »
    Queenstown, or should I say Cork is more Jackeen than Dublin ever has been.

Anywhere with successful League of Ireland clubs tend to have a history of plantation, garrisons, and a suspicion towards the culture, sports, and traditions of the native Gael.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Anywhere with successful League of Ireland clubs.
    Yeah, but he's talking about Cobh

cdeb wrote: »
    Yeah, but he's talking about Cobh

He said Cork in general. Cobh Ramblers, Bray Wanderers, Sligo Rovers are examples of those clubs that formed in port towns. Strong garrison towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

He said Cork in general. Cobh Ramblers, Bray Wanderers, Sligo Rovers are examples of those clubs that formed in port towns. Strong garrison towns.

They haven't banned "tan" have they? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Silage muncher is still in effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

chosen1 wrote: »
    Fairly common for lads in towns around the country to refer to countryside people as "culchies" and then they were "townies".

I grew up in an area a couple of mile from a medium sized town and some of these townies would call us culchies. Half of them could probably see a herd of cows from their back window, but that didn't matter to them.

I am one such 'townie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Townies, and other “urban” dwelling culchies, are boggers.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No, we are townies. Boggers live in the countryside. Culchies are a particular type of bogger.

MART - Mucksavages Against Racist Townies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

MART - Mucksavages Against Racist Townies.

Muckmaggots against rural tossers, sounds better. That way you can fight against yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

joeguevara wrote: »
    Collins Dictionary says it is derived from an incorrect pronunciation of the Mayo town Kiltimagh, when in fact it is derived from the Irish word 'coillte' meaning woods.

I thought it was a humorous abbreviation of 'culture' =a person of culture , culture vulture as it were. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I'm a culchie and it doesn't bother me, I'm just glad I'm not a bogger.
    Or another way to put it is that a culchie lives in an urban area outside Dublin, while a bogger lives in a rural one. Bonus bogger points if you're farming stock.

It's not really a serious thing though.

The dictionary definition of culchie is "an unsophisticated country person" and all things considered I think that's probably the most accurate definition I've seen.

If you want to call yourself a culchie then knock yourself out but if you want to refer to everyone from rural or urban Ireland outside Dublin as culchies then go jump in the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

If a townie uses the word, then it's culchial appropriation, I would demand an apology if I were a culchie, and probably bring the culchie to the ploughing championships,(or the plough match if you are a culchie) to gain better understanding of the life of a culchie, we need to educate people, knowledge is power

Vita nova wrote: »
    The dictionary definition of culchie is "an unsophisticated country person" and all things considered I think that's probably the most accurate definition I've seen.

A mythical creature steeped in lore

Truthfully can any country person tell me the last time they were called any kind of derogatory word to the face by a dub or a fellow culchie?

• Advertisement

Kylta wrote: »
    Muckmaggots against rural tossers, sounds better. That way you can fight against yourselves

Amongst, surely?

Levathians of the Slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

biko wrote: »
    But Jackeen is still allowed

I am a PROUD jackeen ...to me all it means is that you are a DUB.

Amongst, surely?

I'm a dub you were lucky to get against

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

By the way culchie is short for cultured.

Brilliant ring up scrabble and try not to be upset at their laughter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I always assumed that it had something to do with the word "agriculture". Not that I ever thought about it too much, that would be weird.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    One foots their own turf, the other buys in it.
    I'm a pilot.

The others cut the turf. And I pilot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like yoghurt ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Let them at it. A few hundred more words and I'll release a 'Cards Against Scrabble', make a killing from it. Only banned Scrabble words allowed.

Advertisement