Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portable speaker with rechargeable battery and cast (not bluetooth)

Options
  • 10-07-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Looking for a portable speaker with rechargeable battery and cast (not bluetooth) for use outside that you can connect to via cast (not Bluetooth). Any recommendations and up to 10watt max will be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Looking for a portable speaker with rechargeable battery and cast (not bluetooth) for use outside that you can connect to via cast (not Bluetooth). Any recommendations and up to 10watt max will be ok.

What would the advantage of cast be over bluetooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

DopeTech wrote: »
    What would the advantage of cast be over bluetooth?

because when the bluetooth user steps away the music stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I bought a rechargeable battery base for an echo dot which works perfectly. The sound isn’t amazing but it’s good for when I need something outside.

I’m not sure if it’s what you’re after. Google do similar units for their portable speakers.

I bought a rechargeable battery base for an echo dot which works perfectly. The sound isn’t amazing but it’s good for when I need something outside.

I’m not sure if it’s what you’re after. Google do similar units for their portable speakers.

I tried this with a google mini and its works well but was hoping for an all in one device.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I tried this with a google mini and its works well but was hoping for an all in one device.

I use a battery pack as a power source, very handy as I find that i remembered to charge that but i always forget to charge the portable speaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

thanks all. Going to build my own with a google mini as I cannot find anything either (other than the Sonos).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

thanks all. Going to build my own with a google mini as I cannot find anything either (other than the Sonos).

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/kygo-b9-800-smart-speaker-with-google-assistant-chromecast-ipx-7-waterproof-dual-band-wifi-bluetooth

Great sound out of this.

Joekers wrote: »

ah perfect! Going to order this right now! Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

That linked device looked good.

I have a JBL with assistant baked in. Only worked for a few months . Currently use a mini and a battery pack.

• Advertisement

ordered yesterday and was delivered to Addresspal today! Will let you all know how it works out when received and setup.

my "KygoLife Smart Speaker WiFi & Bluetooth With Google Assistant/Chromecast Waterproof / Floats White" just arrived and I am so far very impressed. It is effectively just a google assistance in a waterproof, rugged and portable case from what I can see. It cost only €30 and came with a free fridge camera which I have not opened or setup. You setup using the standard google home apps which took about 60 seconds.

All I need is some sunshine to test out on the deck.

Thank you Joekers - great recomendation.

520981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

Mine arrived yesterday, took an age to charge but quick to setup. The mic/assistant is responsive and the sound quality is good. It seems robust and well worth the money we paid for it. Thanks Joekers.

This retails for eur199 on KYGO's own site but I imagine that's an inflated price to cater for discounts or deals.

No idea what to do with the fridge camera - the reviews are not particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

Mine arrived today. Nice and rugged. Set it up while it was charging - sounds good. Anybody know how long it takes to give it its first full charge?

Edit: Just fully charged (about two hours) so no need for any answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Great recommendation.
    Arrived today set up took all of 30 seconds. Hard part was deciding what room to add it to in the Google Home app!

Tried it in the bath with the kids and they loved going under water to hear it full blast!! However seems like water is not a great WiFi conductor as it would drop connection when fully submerged for 20 or so seconds!!!

Good sound, ruggedly built, and cheap
    All good in my mind

However the lady in charge of the house keeps commenting ‘why did they make it look so ugly’ I beg to differ as I think it looks great

All in all a great purchase
    Now what to do with this fridge camera?

Advertisement