Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Record of Medical blood results

• 10-07-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Can you request a printed copy of all blood results from your doctor like over many years? How do you go about it if so... thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

yes, just ring them up and request them to print them out for you. it might take them a few days to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

bb12 wrote: »
    yes, just ring them up and request them to print them out for you. it might take them a few days to organise.

Thanks bb12. Do you reckon they’d actually do this for me?

sugarman wrote: »
    Depends on the GP, some will, some won't. No harm in calling.

But you are entitled to it via Freedom of Information and Data Protection laws. You just have to go about more formally with a written request.

Thank you. I emailed the GP clinic. Just saw on the reviews that the receptionist is horrible so guessing she will refuse :(
    How can I word my written request
    “Hi I’d like to request A copy of all past blood results as is my right under data protection laws.” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

yes they have to give you a copy of everything that is held on computer relating to you by law. so you have the right to demand your entire medical file to be printed out if you wish.

i always get my blood tests results printed out each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

But you are entitled to it via Freedom of Information

FOI pertains to Goverment and the Public Sector. It doesn't apply to your GP.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's all I did. Dated it and signed it and had them in a couple of days.

Did they post to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

FOI pertains to Goverment and the Public Sector. It doesn't apply to your GP.

FOI applies to medical card patients but the HSE handles the request rather than the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Vetch wrote: »
    FOI applies to medical card patients but the HSE handles the request rather than the GP.
    Though presumably it only applies to records of treatment obatined under the medical card scheme? If, as with the OP, someone wants "all blood results . . . over many years", and hasn't held a medical card at all times throughout the period in question, an FoI request to the HSE may not yield what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Though presumably it only applies to records of treatment obatined under the medical card scheme? If, as with the OP, someone wants "all blood results . . . over many years", and hasn't held a medical card at all times throughout the period in question, an FoI request to the HSE may not yield what they want.

Yes, of course. I didn't see that the OP stated that they are or were a medical card holder at all and was responding to another poster's more general comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

FOI doesn't apply to asking your gp for your records.
    It only applies to government bodies and is a general request not relating to your personal data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bb12 wrote: »
    i always get my blood tests results printed out each time.

Mine always emails the results by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Can you request a printed copy of all blood results from your doctor like over many years? How do you go about it if so... thank you

I reckon you'd need an appointment to discuss the results.

You could go the data protection route - you're entitled to receive a copy of all data held in your name. I reckon if the GP thought you were going to attempt to analyse the results yourself using doctor google they would be entitled to turn you down.

antix80 wrote: »

But I don’t want to discuss them I just want my own copy of them. They are all results far in the past so no discussion necessary.
    If I email the hospital would they have everything from all the doctors? I assume the bloods are processed in the hospital lab

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

If you've always had the same GP the easiest thing is to ask them (via the receptionist) for a copy of all your results. The hospital will always send a copy of test results to your GP.

If you've had a few different GPs it might be more awkward but still probably easiest to get it through them. The hospital lab won't be able to release them to you and if you've had bloods done under different department/teams (e.g. in the emergency dept and then a ward) it could be difficult to find one person who can get you all the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

lozenges wrote: »
    If you've always had the same GP the easiest thing is to ask them (via the receptionist) for a copy of all your results. The hospital will always send a copy of test results to your GP.

The hospital will only send a copy of GP ordered results to the GP.

It's a strange gap in the system that GP only has sight of GP ordered tests, whilst hospital has sight of both GP and Hospital tests.

@OP, rather than get bogged down in worrying about getting the results as yet.
    The 1st step in getting the info you want, is the simple act of asking.

Very often the request will be processed with near zero fuss.
    There is no need to be legalistic or confrontational at this point.

Ask for the info you want, in writing.
    If there is any pushback then of course escalate appropriately, but all too often what is a simple request is presented in absolute and quite adversarial terms and does more harm to the relationship between the practice and the patient than the detail requested is worth.

There's no need at all for legal advice, until such time as your request is refused or inordinately delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Peregrinus wrote: »

Not being a HSE employee or a medical card holder but I wouldn't think that the extent of FOI allows HSE Medical Card staff to obtain or hold onto your medical records. Interesting concept if they are, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

antix80 wrote: »

You could go the data protection route - you're entitled to receive a copy of all data held in your name. I reckon if the GP thought you were going to attempt to analyse the results yourself using doctor google they would be entitled to turn you down.

The GP isn't entitled to turn you down, no matter what you intend to do with the info.

If your name is on it, legally you have a right to a copy of it (there are some exemptions (Gardai etc.) but as far as I'm aware your GP isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Yes - as suggested by others I would just ask for copies of whatever you need. In most cases a GP will be happy to oblige. It might be as simple as having them pull them out while you are there and copy them for you. They shouldn’t charge you for this.

If you were meeting with resistance in obtaining the information, the legal mechanism is a data subject access request under the Data Protection Act 2018 and/or General Data Protection Regulations, but I would be surprised if you had to pursue such a course with your GP of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Thank you. I emailed the GP clinic. Just saw on the reviews that the receptionist is horrible so guessing she will refuse :(
    How can I word my written request
    “Hi I’d like to request A copy of all past blood results as is my right under data protection laws.” ?

If the receptionist is as bad as you read in the reviews then i prob wouldn't start with your right under data protection as this will prob get her back up.

Maybe a quick call and tell her what you want and just ask does she need your request in writing or is phone call enough.

Thanks all for the advice. I agree with it and used the advice you gave. I didn’t bring the law into it. Rang the receptionist and asked for them and she said she needs it in writing.
    Just since the phonecall, I’m wondering should I send a copy of my id or do you reckon just writing it down is enough?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Rang the receptionist and asked for them and she said she needs it in writing.
    Just since the phonecall, I’m wondering should I send a copy of my id or do you reckon just writing it down is enough?
    You can attach your ID if you wish, however simple request in writing from YOU from the address they have ON FILE would suffice.

They will then have a defence should there be an allegation of "I did not authorise/request" this at a later stage.

Advertisement