Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4686_4cca_500.jpeg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1195010579032883200-png__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm sure Michele Hansen is loved by HR around the world now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ha, I always send my CV as a PDF, so I'm assuming it doesn't work with that? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Worth trying, anyway. I'd say they'd find out if they looked at the CV while using the accessibility options (high contrast, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mrcheez wrote: »
    ha, I always send my CV as a PDF, so I'm assuming it doesn't work with that? :D
    Why would a PDF make a difference?
    What format do you think she is refering to
    New Home wrote: »
    Worth trying, anyway. I'd say they'd find out if they looked at the CV while using the accessibility options (high contrast, etc).

Ctrl+F too

But you're giving them way too much credit for detailed checking

Mellor wrote: »
    Why would a PDF make a difference?
    What format do you think she is refering to

I'm assuming the scanner doesn't use OCR to extract text from a PDF and simply loads up CVs sent in Word format and parses the xml (which would then allow text in white to be read)

I'm assuming the scanner doesn't use OCR to extract text from a PDF and simply loads up CVs sent in Word format and parses the xml (which would then allow text in white to be read)
    You don't need OCR to read PDF text. If you export a file to PDF, the text is store as text. That why to can highlight, edit, copy text, etc.

OCR is only needed to read text in images such as scanned documents.

You don't need OCR to read PDF text. If you export a file to PDF, the text is store as text. That why to can highlight, edit, copy text, etc.

OCR is only needed to read text in images such as scanned documents.

Interesting always thought it was an image export and software to read the text just had inbuilt OCR :)

I've sure you could export as raster image. But the default is text, as it uses less data and is more functional.
    Same reason why you can google search and return PDF content results

• Advertisement

588410.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from Cool Gifs:
    ZpPdiiV.gif
    https://i.imgur.com/ZpPdiiV.mp4

588984.jpg

Don't really have a pic to hand, but here's a small lifehack if anyone is finding wearing their mask is cutting into the top of their ears after wearing it for too long.

Grab a spare black shoelace.
    Tie each end around either strap according to the length you require.
    Put it over your head and either rest the back of the lace over your crown, or lower down just under your ear.

Voila. Facemask is secure, but not pulling on your ears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Don't really have a pic to hand, but here's a small lifehack if anyone is finding wearing their mask is cutting into the top of their ears after wearing it for too long.

Grab a spare black shoelace.
    Tie each end around either strap according to the length you require.
    Put it over your head and either rest the back of the lace over your crown, or lower down just under your ear.

Voila. Facemask is secure, but not pulling on your ears :)

Been suing a safety pin for that, old trick from med device manufacturing.

Wouldn't that hurt your ears? Unless they're pierced already, of course. :D

Wouldn't it be upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wouldn't it be upside down?

No - the page is upside to start if it was in front of the camera - the "mirror" reverses it

fritzelly wrote: »
    No - the page is upside to start if it was in front of the camera - the "mirror" reverses it

ah of course. I was think from the fact we are viewing the page right way up.
    But it's already upside down from the webcam's POV.

• Advertisement

Plus in most cases you can reverse the image, e.g. left to right, like in a mirror. It's not like it's a concave surface like a spoon would be.

Plus in most cases you can reverse the image, e.g. left to right, like in a mirror. It's not like it's a concave surface like a spoon would be.

Actually, I was right the first time. It doesn't work.

Webcam is viewing page in a "mirror". So text will be a mirror image. Not impossible to solve backwards maths but certainly harder, like reading anything in a mirror.

It's displayed correctly on her own screen because your own webcams/forward camera on phone automatically mirrors your image - which a lot of people don't actually realize.

It says on the link that she changed the orientation of the image herself. I guess it'll depend on the settings of your computer.

It says on the link that she changed the orientation of the image herself. I guess it'll depend on the settings of your computer.

Changing settings will only affect setting your own computer. It won't affect what other people see.
    People watch a video see a true image which will be mirrored due to the CD.

Changing settings will only affect setting your own computer. It won't affect what other people see.
    People watch a video see a true image which will be mirrored due to the CD.
    Not if you change your camera settings, I don't think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/17/mirror-turns-webcam-into-document-camera/

put a mirror in front of the laptop cam, and flip the image left-to-right in software. They use Zoom, which has a mirror mode. Done.

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/17/mirror-turns-webcam-into-document-camera/

put a mirror in front of the laptop cam, and flip the image left-to-right in software. They use Zoom, which has a mirror mode. Done.
    They used a third party camera app to view a mirrored image and screen share it via zoom.
    That works was viewers see your screen as you do.

Confirms that just throwing a camera up doesn’t work even though it appears on screen correctly.

1272701045458731009-png__700.jpg

As a non-cook, what does that mean? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As a non-cook, what does that mean? :)

What you are baking either doesn't rise enough ,- heavy ,dense cakes ...
    Or its light fluffy and tastes crap ...

Basically sabotaging the reciepe that you've graciously given to your friend ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement