Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to upgrade from 10 speed Tiagra to 11 speed Ultegra?

Options
  • 24-09-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

My bike is a 2014 Trek Domane which I've kept in good nick with weekly washing and regular maintenance. However the drivetrain is showing wear and it's time for replacement. However I'd like to improve the groupset on the bike to Ultegra. Would this be possible, ie will an 11 speed cassette fit in my bike's frame? I won't be in a position to change the bike for another 2 years and so I'd like to upgrade what I have at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

D13exile wrote: »
    My bike is a 2014 Trek Domane which I've kept in good nick with weekly washing and regular maintenance. However the drivetrain is showing wear and it's time for replacement. However I'd like to improve the groupset on the bike to Ultegra. Would this be possible, ie will an 11 speed cassette fit in my bike's frame? I won't be in a position to change the bike for another 2 years and so I'd like to upgrade what I have at the moment.

The chain size is different, so you are looking at changing pretty much the whole drive train, sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect D13exile knows that, just that the question was is the frame compatible with the cassette width, rather than can he just get away with replacing the cassette?

i suspect D13exile knows that, just that the question was is the frame compatible with the cassette width, rather than can he just get away with replacing the cassette?

Could always buy a new rear wheel.

Edit actually it can be done - https://www.roadbikerider.com/upgrading-from-a-10-to-11-speed-cassette-2/#:~:text=Luckily%2C%20many%20common%20and%20not,and%20bike%20when%20you%20pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Your freehub may not be compatible. Is it built for 11 speed. If it was I think there should be a spacer inserted. If it’s a 10 speed freehub you can’t just stick a Shimano 11 speed freehub on there. You could be looking at redishing the wheel. Another option is to fit a Campy freehub and campy 11 speed cassette which would not require redishing the wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, that'd be the first question - it's the rear wheel which would first need to be checked for 11 speed compatibility. What wheels are on the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've upgraded 10 speed to 11 speed before and as above the main issue is whether the hub can take an 11 speed cassette. Once it can then you should be able to upgrade although again as per above you're looking at changing the entire drivetrain, shifters etc.

i'd question the economics of doing it, especially if you've access to the BTW scheme. unless you can get a full ultegra groupset secondhand.

You can replace the freehub body on most wheels even if they initially won't take an 11 speed cassette.

i'd question the economics of doing it, especially if you've access to the BTW scheme. unless you can get a full ultegra groupset secondhand.

I was thinking the same, when buying a full bike, the Groupset is fairly heavily discounted, I am not sure unless you can find a 2nd hand one (none on adverts or donedeal atm at a decent price), that you wouldn be better off just buying a new, for you, 2nd hand bike.

a new groupset will cost you the guts of €700 to €800 quid, but you could possibly find an entire bike four or five years old - with ultegra - for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Replacing cassette depends on freehub body length.
    The only way to check if your freehub is long enough is to take your cassette off and see if there is a spacer behind it.
    Generally only stock wheels and pre 11 speed wheelsets and mountain bike wheels will not be long enough. So if youve bought new wheels you should be able to fit 11.

Withouth upgrading the cassette and chain. You can swap out tiagra and 11 speed derailleurs as they use the same shifter pull or keep your tiagra derailleur and just upgrade levers.
    The only thing i would say is though that a full ultegra groupset new is 730€ online plus possibly 300 for wheels, while you can save loads going used. You might aswell sell your current bike for 1000€ and get a plenty good rim brake bike for 2000€ that would also come with a warranty. Yo can also get 105 disc from 2000 aswell

Also on old cheap wheels its a difficult and expensive job changing out freehub body. Its only really recommend for newer expensive wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As some of you may recall, I've only just gotten comfortable on this bike and I'd be very hesitant to go buy another bike and have to start from scratch again! In addition, I've had this bike from new and I know it's never been crashed or abused.

I put Mavic Aksium wheels on the bike three years ago as a minor upgrade to the original Bontrager wheels. The bike shop also put new hubs on at the same time. Don't know if they would accept an 11 speed cassette?

But if the cost is going to be north of €700, then it's not economically viable as the bike is barely worth more than that now.

Not sure of his price or whether the cranks fit etc. but you might get a decent deal on this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111078

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

As some of you may recall, I've only just gotten comfortable on this bike and I'd be very hesitant to go buy another bike and have to start from scratch again! In addition, I've had this bike from new and I know it's never been crashed or abused.

I put Mavic Aksium wheels on the bike three years ago as a minor upgrade to the original Bontrager wheels. The bike shop also put new hubs on at the same time. Don't know if they would accept an 11 speed cassette?

But if the cost is going to be north of €700, then it's not economically viable as the bike is barely worth more than that now.

Aksium’s can take 11sp cassette. The Ultegra 6800 would be a good upgrade if you can get one used in good condition.

Aksium should fit 11 unless you meant the freehub has been changed.
    The 6800 groupset is a decent deal that you should get your money back on.
    Buying a new bike is probably the most economical thing to do especially considering the warranty has probably ran out on your current bike.
    Once you get one good bike fit anyway you can use it for any bike you sell, just keep your preferred saddle when selling the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How many of the gears are you using that you'll need those extra 2 just now?

You can get 4700 crank set, 10 speed cassette and chain for 75-100. So long as the derailleurs are in good nick then youve got a good as new drivetrain for little outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

You would get much more bang for your buck in upgrading the wheels than the groupset. Mavic Aksium are a good set of budget wheels, but heavy. If you spent 300 euro on a wheelset, it would make a big difference to how the bike feels and should result in an avg speed increase of 2-3kph.

mh_cork wrote: »
    should result in an avg speed increase of 2-3kph.
    i would be vey curious to hear this quantified.
    i have a carbon bike with zondas, which weighs several kilos less than my steel bike with aksiums.

i would be *very* sceptical that i would average 2-3km/h faster on the carbon bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

i would be vey curious to hear this quantified.
    i have a carbon bike with zondas, which weighs several kilos less than my steel bike with aksiums.

i would be *very* sceptical that i would average 2-3km/h faster on the carbon bike.

Well YMMV, but on an 80km route with some climbing in it, I found that a lighter carbon fibre bike with better wheels was almost 3 kph faster than anything else.
    (Same route tested on steel touring bike, steel racing bike, single-speed bike and carbon fibre bike with zondas)

Anyways, dont want to hijack the thread, but I do stand by the assertion that wheels are the first component that OP should consider to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

As a general rule, from speaking to other spanner monkeys like myself in the bicycle trade, 2015 seems to be the year where most rear wheels became widely 11speed cassette/freehub compatible.

Guaranteed with Mavic wheels.

There will always be exceptions, of course.

Advertisement