Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging 30 year information gap

• 27-06-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Over the years have done the research. Have my gggf birth record 1823 in Tallanstown dundalk.
    His father's name Thady Mullen Mother Cathy Philips. Four siblings with birth recorded. Youngest born 1819.

Cannot find marriage of thady and Cathy.

Have grave stone record of his cousins burials circa 1798 in dromiskin.
    Anyone any ideas on how to bridge this gap.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Records for that parish go back to 1804 for marriages - I take it you've looked for them there.

Are you sure the other grave is a cousin?

That period is a real challenge because many parish won't have complete records and Catholics couldn't own property, so they're not likely to have left much in the way of paperwork.

Were they working the land? If so, you could investigate if records for any big estates survive that might show their names on a rent roll.
    Ditto Registry of Deeds.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Pinky
    Thanks for the tips. Yes am certain the gravestone is my cousin. Three adjoining Mullen grave stones. One makes reference to my townland.
    I will post link to it when I get home this evening.

They were farmers with rented lands. Have them on Griffiths, flax growers, and a 1766 church census.
    Trying to fill the gap from the dromiskin grave stones to the Tallanstown Church records.

Have you looked at the Tithe Applotment books and the prep work for Griffiths on the NAI site?
    Sometimes you can get back a bit further there.

I got a date for my gggg grandfather's death from the Valuation books. He was on them but not Griffiths a year later - long before official death records began, so very useful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭louis346789

Hi Pinky
    I attach the detail of mullen adjoining gravestones in Dromiskin.

My GGGF side is the first gravestone record EB Thomas Mullan Knockloar im of his father James wd 14 June 1784.

Not sure if the stones were erected by 3 brothers - Thomas , John and Patrick
    or 3 first cousins.

Birth record for my GGGF in tallanstown. Thomas born to Thady 10 Oct 1821

Yes have them in the Tithe applotment books in Knocklore townland Tallanstown.
    There was almost 100 Mullens in Knoclore in 1901. Now 3 !!!.
    I will definitely take a closer look at the field books. I would love to get a look at the Irish Land Commission records. I used to do searches of these in Kildare Street for my work 30 years ago. Pity I was not doing my family tree research then.

Hi Pinky
    I would love to get a look at the Irish Land Commission records. I used to do searches of these in Kildare Street for my work 30 years ago. Pity I was not doing my family tree research then.

So would everyone.
    They're completely inaccessible now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    So would everyone.
    They're completely inaccessible now.

Quote from Fiona Fitzsimons in a History Ireland magazine article:

"The records of the Irish Land Commission are probably the single greatest untapped resource for studying the population of Ireland in the nineteenth century and a lodestone for academic and family historians. Despite this, the records relating to lands in the Republic of Ireland are under restricted access, shielded by data-protection and freedom-of-information laws, as they are deemed to contain ‘private sensitive information’. The lack of transparency extends to the fact that there is no full description of these historic records, a further impediment for researchers."

Huh. Figures.

Advertisement