Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Brick Wall

• 24-06-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi this is my first post here, I've managed to get back on my grandfathers side partly to 1845/1848, but I'm so stuck on my grandmother, I've found her birth record but cannot find anything on her father or mother anywhere I've searched to be honest :( long story short the neighbor raised my granny as her own and the story was that her mother wasn't married and her father was a soldier (this part I know is true)

anyway would anyone be able to help me look for my great grandfather or where to start? I've tried all the genealogy sites I can think of at this stage.

I've attached a copy of the register from dublin.

I did have a findmypast subscriptions do you think another one would help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you tried locating a service record for her father Albert who appears to be a soldier in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers according to Agnes's birth record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Definitely do what Hermy says, but I'd go straight for a DNA test with Ancestry. He may have had other children to provide matches.

I'm not sure you have enough to go on to identify the right Albert Nolan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Perhaps try the parish your grandmother married in and ask what is recorded about her parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

oh wow thank you so much - yes I know where she was married

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you tried locating a service record for her father Albert who appears to be a soldier in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers according to Agnes's birth record.

Thanks so much! I couldnt make out what that writing was on the record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement