Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people have children that they can't afford?

• 19-11-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Surely parents should know if they can afford a 2nd, 3rd or 4th kid? Plus abortions are free, so there's no excuse anymore really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Dey entitled to ih. Lave 'em be, havin' the angles, like the Lord Jesus wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    Surely parents should know if they can afford a 2nd, 3rd or 4th kid?

Because they want to.

Plus abortions are free, so there's no excuse anymore really.

What has that to do with people who want to have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

Dey entitled to ih. Lave 'em be, havin' the angles, like the Lord Jesus wants.

I don't understand why people complain about the cost of childcare, when abortions are free.

Another quality thread from the OP.

Because they want to.

What has that to do with people who want to have children?

Because if you can't support children, you shouldn't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I was waiting for a bus a couple of weeks ago and there was a settled Traveler couple in there late 20's talking to a girl of similar age with a child of about 4 years old I'd guess. The girl with the child was living in a Family Hub and said she'd been on the homeless list for a number of years. Her family and siblings are all in the County and have accomodation so I don't know how anyone can let their daughter/sister and her little child live in a homeless hostel if they have a spare room.

The settled Traveler couple have 3 kids and were living with her parents because they'd been evicted from their rented accomodation, the conversation started because the Traveler woman, who is pregnant with her 4th child wanted a light for her ciggy from the other girl. NO Personal responsibility taken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ah, I see where we're going with this op, want me to rename the thread for you?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My cousin keeps on having children whenever the youngest is ready to go to school. She'll be up to 4 next year. She'll do anything to not go out and get a job. The usual scenario, school drop-out, no education, multiple father's, heavily subsidised bedroom semi-detached.

Because if you can't support children, you shouldn't have them.

And again, that has nothing to do with your original question. You asked why people have children when they can’t afford them, and the simple answer is - because they want to.

The question has nothing to do with people who don’t want to have children.

My cousin keeps on having children whenever the youngest is ready to go to school. She'll be up to 4 next year. She'll do anything to not go out and get a job. The usual scenario, school drop-out, no education, multiple father's, heavily subsidised bedroom semi-detached.

My cousin's the opposite. A leafy suburb yuppie, who jogs with the pram. But she's constantly raving on about how expensive children are, and now she's up the duff again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

My cousin keeps on having children whenever the youngest is ready to go to school. She'll be up to 4 next year. She'll do anything to not go out and get a job. The usual scenario, school drop-out, no education, multiple father's, heavily subsidised, bedroom semi-detached.

Yeah, the cut off is when the youngest is 8 now, I think. Someone I know just had their second kid with a different daddy, he just turned 9 this Summer. The boyfriend pretends he lives in his own 4 bedroom house which he rents out rooms in when he actually lives out of a suitcase with her. Been going on for 3 years, so he's cashing in on the rental and she's getting her benefits and her rent allowance and not doing a tap of work since she was in her 20's, despite being healthy. She's been getting away with the bogus single mammy thing for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I guess along the same line of thinking people should commit suicide 8f the face financial trouble.

And again, that has nothing to do with your original question. You asked why people have children when they can’t afford them, and the simple answer is - because they want to.

The question has nothing to do with people who don’t want to have children.

If you have children and can't afford them, that's your problem. There's other options out there and if parents choose to ignore them for their own selfish motives, they should also have to deal with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If every unwanted child wasn't kept, this forum would be very quiet. You should thank your lucky stars.

If you have children and can't afford them, that's your problem. There's other options out there and if parents choose to ignore them for their own selfish motives, they should also have to deal with the results.

Yeah I’m not sure anyone gives a single fcuk for what you think they should or shouldn’t do tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

blueshade wrote: »
    I was waiting for a bus a couple of weeks ago and there was a settled Traveler couple in there late 20's talking to a girl of similar age with a child of about 4 years old I'd guess. The girl with the child was living in a Family Hub and said she'd been on the homeless list for a number of years. Her family and siblings are all in the County and have accomodation so I don't know how anyone can let their daughter/sister and her little child live in a homeless hostel if they have a spare room.

The settled Traveler couple have 3 kids and were living with her parents because they'd been evicted from their rented accomodation, the conversation started because the Traveler woman, who is pregnant with her 4th child wanted a light for her ciggy from the other girl. NO Personal responsibility taken.

Ohhh , you use public transport ?

Yeah I’m not sure anyone gives a single fcuk for what you think they should or shouldn’t do tbh :pac:

Address the point instead of snide, ad hominum attacks.

Address the point instead of snide, ad hominum attacks.

I did address the point, in my very first reply to your question. It was very simple.

Why do people have children they can’t afford?

Because they want to.

There’s your answer.

I did address the point, in my very first reply to your question. It was very simple.

Why do people have children they can’t afford?

Because they want to.

There’s your answer.

And my response was that's irresponsible, stupid and cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't understand why people complain about the cost of childcare, when abortions are free.

Because not everyone wants to go through having an abortion? They arent compulsory just because they are now legal

• Advertisement

Annnnnd?

Or are we working off the premise that people are supposed to care what you think?

In that case, my earlier reply stands.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Because not everyone wants to go through having an abortion? They arent compulsory just because they are now legal

Having kids isn't compulsory either. If you can't support a child, don't have it.

OP with disingenuous premise to indirectly attack availability of abortion in Ireland. Well, I never.

OP with disingenuous premise to indirectly attack availability of abortion in Ireland. Well, I never.

What are you on about lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

I like sex and condoms are expensive, plus the extra social.

Win, win.

Have a read of what you just posted there , Chief?

"If you get someone pregnant, you should get her to have an abortion, instead of having the child".

Ever see the movie Idiocracy?

The girl might have an opinion herself, ya know she might like the idea of becoming a mother, yes?

Well she should see if she can afford it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's quite offensive.

If we had decided on our children based on our means at the time some of our children would not now exist as adults working n jobs they love as teachers, nurses, social workers etc and with kids of their own in happy relationships. We scrimped and did without for many years but they had happy childhoods and great lives. Had we analysed it just in the cold light of affordability all our lives would now be all the poorer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Well she should see if she can afford it first.

Like a means test ?
    Can I afford new shoes ? Can I afford a holiday , can I afford a child ?

• Advertisement

That's quite offensive.

If we had decided on our children based on our means at the time some of our children would not now exist as adults working n jobs they love as teachers, nurses, social workers etc and with kids of their own in happy relationships. We scrimped and did without for many years but they had happy childhoods and great lives. Had we analysed it just in the cold light of affordability all our lives would now be all the poorer for it.

Don't rise to the bait. OP isn't remotely sincere, just playing a twisted game.

Advertisement