Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What silly things did you do as a child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

At my parents house there used to be a little square hole in the bottom of the wall outside, it kind of looked like the mouse hole from tom and jerry so I thought a mouse lived inside the hole.
    I set up a little porch for him with lego and made little seats and a table at the entrance to his house. Everyday I would take a little bit of my dinner and leave it outside the hole for the mouse to eat. Id come back out a few hours later and the lego would be all over the place and the food would be gone so for months I was convinced it was the mouse and get genuinly annoyed at him for being so ungreatful and knocking over his new furniture, and I would fix all the lego back up.

After a few months of this I discovered my cat was eating the food and there never was a mouse.

Made up languages, pretended to be foreign to garner attention from bystanders in shops as they tried various languages to communicate back, “got lost” in department stores in order to hear my name called out and then pretended not to know my mother when she cane to retrieve me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Oh my god, just remembered the ultimate one. A shameful one too.

Goat droppings. My friend, her sister and I were in Farran Woods in Cork (their mother brought us there one Saturday) - we saw a little cluster of "Maltesers" on the ground - well who would pass free Maltesers? Into each gob. I presume we all spat it out.

Am in knots here at you saying you presume you all spat it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Am in knots here at you saying you presume you all spat it out :D
    :D

I definitely did, but the others...?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Raconteuse wrote: »
    :D

I definitely did, but the others...?

Ah I thought that alright tbh :)

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ah I thought that alright tbh :)
    Yeah I definitely.... definitely did.

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Chimney pot tennis. We would try to hit tennis balls with the racket into the chimney pots of people who lived near us.

We rarely managed it mostly we ended up with lots of tennis balls on the roofs or people's gardens until we ran out of balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Brother and I had watched some film where a showman had thrown knives at someone standing up against the wall and each knife landed right by the body.
    We decided to do the same except we'd use our Dad's darts and dartboard as replacements for the objects from the film.
    I stood in front of the dartboard and brother threw the darts. Stopped when one pierced me just above the left nipple. Didn't go far in but enough to make us cop on.

Another time, one of us got a boxing punch ball and a pair of boxing gloves for Christmas. I told him put on his hurling helmet and he wouldn't feel it if I hit him full whack.
    Oh he felt it, going by the wailing that ensued anyway. I think that was the first time I can remember thinking my plan was actually kinda ridiculous when I was explaining to our mother what had happened as she tried to calm him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

One lovely summer day when I was quite young my friend called to my house to see if I wanted to play. When we were out in the street he produced a box of matches and claimed he found them on the road. We wondered around burning random things like twigs and the like and generally behaving badly but fairly harmlessly. We discovered that dead grass burned well and found this very interesting indeed.

Anyway, it has been pretty dry I guess. Genius that I was I noticed a lot of long dried grass under a neighbours hedge. It burned much better than expected. The hedge went up very quickly. We legged it needless to say, chucked the matches and hid for a bit, assuming we would be in major trouble. The fire brigade had to be called. Unfortunately the hedge didn't make it. We never got caught, amazingly. But I never played with matches again!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

When i was around 6 years of age I tried to glue the foreskin to the head of my penis to make it look better.
    God, it stung....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

When I was about 3 or 4, I used to eat pages from the RTE Guide. I loved it for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

RickBlaine wrote: »
    When I was about 3 or 4, I used to eat pages from the RTE Guide. I loved it for some reason.

So its true what they say, it really is more than a magazine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Pretending to talk a mad exotic language on holiday when other children or adults were nearby.

Wed actually be in the pool, like 'abbuulabhejejnmememnananajjeje'

Thinking we sounded exotic and nobody knew what 'language' we were speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Myself and my older brother and sister found bottles of Guinness and Smithwicks in the house when our parents were away, took them to our old car dumped in the field behind the house and drank them there. When our parents came home they found us asleep in the car. We were so young we didn't even know what alcohol was. I don't know who's idea this was but it was probably mine :D.

At my parents house there used to be a little square hole in the bottom of the wall outside, it kind of looked like the mouse hole from tom and jerry so I thought a mouse lived inside the hole.
    I set up a little porch for him with lego and made little seats and a table at the entrance to his house. Everyday I would take a little bit of my dinner and leave it outside the hole for the mouse to eat. Id come back out a few hours later and the lego would be all over the place and the food would be gone so for months I was convinced it was the mouse and get genuinly annoyed at him for being so ungreatful and knocking over his new furniture, and I would fix all the lego back up.

After a few months of this I discovered my cat was eating the food and there never was a mouse.
    That is just adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My long ago childhood was very tame compared to all of you.. I did once stick my finger into a light socket to see what was in it.. OUCH,,

Maybe my subconscious has blotted out the really awful stuff.. ;)

I once powered up a model train set from the mains, that didn't end well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I have another..... ohhh the memories are coming back to me ....

When I was about 6 I was playing out the back garden when I saw a rabbit just lieing there all quiet , so I picked him up and went into house stroking him ...

My mum was talking to her friend and I was saying ..." ooohhhh look at my cute rabbit ." ..stroking him away
    And my mum was just saying yes yes yes just to get rid of me ...... this went on for a few minutes, I was saying can we keep him ... she was yes yes ...

Anyway she finally took notice of me only to see me standing there holding a rat , a very sick dieing rat at that .... a huge scream....knocked him out of my hand and a guy who was next door came and took it away and chucked it over fence into field ....

I remember bawling crying that they threw my rabbit away... and my mum scrubbing me in bath from head to toe......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I once powered up a model train set from the mains, that didn't end well

Did the smoke escape?
    Won't work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Graces7 wrote: »
    My long ago childhood was very tame compared to all of you.. I did once stick my finger into a light socket to see what was in it.. OUCH,,

Maybe my subconscious has blotted out the really awful stuff.. ;)

It’s when I read the kind of oddball stuff other people did as children that you realise I was actually normal :D

Specially for the OP though who I know is a Trekkie, myself and my brothers once wanted to try out this move to see was it actually physically possible -

1:21 into the video:

It didn’t occur to any of us at the time that we could easily have snapped each other’s necks :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As kids we would walk around the rocks on low tide to a lovely little beach
    Play there until the tide turned , we only had a short window to get back or the tide would block the way around the rocks
    So the dare would be who would stay the longest before running to outdo the tide !
    Well of course no one wanted to be the first to run so it would be a matter of hanging on as long as we could
    Quite often one of us got a little too brave and caught out as the tide rolled in trapping us on the beach !’
    That meant a difficult climb over rocks and hugging the cliff so not to fall !
    ( if our mothers knew we would have been murdered )

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Used to eat raw packets of jelly as sweets.

Wrote a letter in my own obvious child handwriting to the teacher saying I had to be let out for a half day to the dentist. Ended up in the headmasters office where I half implied my mother was illiterate and got let out.

Fell down a tree covered in ivy branches about 2 stories high but miraculously didn't get injured.

Used to like matches a little too much, set Killiney Hill on fire once.
    Those dry gorse bushes do flare up fast. In my mind it was only going to be that bush.

Did the smoke escape?
    Won't work without it.

It went up in flames, I had just cleaned the motor brushes with methylated spirits

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I was 5 I ran across a road not looking properly and was run over.... by a bike. Leg fractured in 3 places

Climbed up a tree. Fell down flat on my back. Could barely move for a while but managed to hide it from my parents (was probably 7 at the time)

In a similar vein was playing rugby at school when I was about 15. Got concussed and found myself wandering round the changing room with no idea what day of the week it was

Was told there was rugby practice after school and carried on oblivious to the potential consequences. No one had a clue of the state I was in and I just managed to hide it from everyone. No one ever sussed out, as when I'm on autopilot I can be very convincing

Nowadays my back is in bits and the last time I banged my head seriously not only was I unconscious for 30 mins but 5 years later I still feel some of the effects

Of course in those days people tended to just get on with things

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to carry around a bottle with a special concoction of glitter and water and use it to cast spells on people. I remember once pouring the whole lot on one of our trees in the back garden and suspiciously that tree never grew again and died :/
    I also used to love when it got dark and I’d watch the tv through the reflection in the window and ignore the tv completely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My parents would get post (bills) nearly everyday of the week, I felt left out so decided to post myself a letter as we lived very close to a letter box.
    I didnt know I had to put a stamp on the envelope so later on that day after posting the letter I told my mam about it and asked how long it would take for the letter to get to me, I was very excited about getting post in a couple of days.
    My mother just looked at me and told me I would be sent to jail for sending a letter with no stamp. She stood outside with me waiting for the postman to get the letter back and when he arrived she told him what I had done.
    I was mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh I used to sell my mam her own things too. I’d get all her nice bits and bobs from around the house and set up a shop and made her pay for them if she wanted them back. I remember trying to save for Dustin the Turkey’s album Faith of our Feathers and so raided all my mam’s things and held them at ransom until she coughed up.

Oh I used to sell my mam her own things too. I’d get all her nice bits and bobs from around the house and set up a shop and made her pay for them if she wanted them back. I remember trying to save for Dustin the Turkey’s album Faith of our Feathers and so raided all my mam’s things and held them at ransom until she coughed up.

At least once I got my mother’s clothes on their hangers from the wardrobe and hang them on display in the front window with prices boldly displayed along with a prominent sign “SALE ON HERE”. She was busy in the garden, so had no idea what I was up to, until the doorbell went and she answered it to a neighbor our who was enquiries about her new retail business.

It was not the only time I set up our house as a retail outlet. I used to hear my father going on about making sure the curtains were closed once it came to time for putting on the lights for fear of would-be burglars seeing the silver on the side board. Being mischievous I decided to play on this paranoia, but only when my father was out at work. I put all the silver in front of the net curtains on the downstairs front windows with price tags sticking out of them, and again a SALE notice. There was huge consternation when my mother discovered this, much more than her clothes being on display in the upstairs window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Using Gaffa tape to stick three bits of sticks to my hands so I could be Wolverine.

Removing said Gaffa tape was not fun.

• Advertisement

My parents would get post (bills) nearly everyday of the week, I felt left out so decided to post myself a letter as we lived very close to a letter box.
    I didnt know I had to put a stamp on the envelope so later on that day after posting the letter I told my mam about it and asked how long it would take for the letter to get to me, I was very excited about getting post in a couple of days.
    My mother just looked at me and told me I would be sent to jail for sending a letter with no stamp. She stood outside with me waiting for the postman to get the letter back and when he arrived she told him what I had done.
    I was mortified.

Your ould one is a ****

Advertisement