Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Crashed when laptop was with engineers

• 06-11-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I hope someone can help, I've no idea of my rights.

I left my macbook Pro HD 13 2014 into a legit Reseller to move everything onto my EHD, wipe the laptop and reinstall the OS. They lost my lightroom catalog in the process so I took the laptop home to relocate it. I dropped it back into the engineers to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS. When I called in to collect it today after they delayed the collection time, they admitted the hard drive had crashed when they'd tried to install the OS. Store said "oops, sorry, can't help". and Apple said "tough, won't help".

I'm finding it hard to get accept I have to pay for a €700 ssd plus installation or buy a new laptop when it was with them when it crashed - anyone got any idea of my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

700 euro for ssd and installation

how much is the ssd :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Would have installed it myself. Plenty of youtube videos available

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

would be unusual for that ssd to fail , but a mid 2014 macbook pro SSD replacement , Ive done 240gb ones for 300 inc fitting, thats mad money unless its a 1tb one and even then....

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a 5 year old laptop, you've no recourse.

The drive would have already been on its way out from every day use, them wiping it and reinstalling the OS would have pushed enough to fail.

Who was quoting you €700??? An SSD can cost you anywhere from €30-130 for for sizes ranging between 120GB - 1TB. Installing it shouldnt cost anymore than a few euro.

its not a SATA ssd, theyre mac specific but not 700 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭flexcon

Probably can’t install ssd yourself unless you know what you are doing as it’s pcie flash if not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 puffbubble

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a 5 year old laptop, you've no recourse.

The drive would have already been on its way out from every day use, them wiping it and reinstalling the OS would have pushed enough to fail.

Who was quoting you €700??? An SSD can cost you anywhere from €30-130 for for sizes ranging between 120GB - 1TB. Installing it shouldnt cost anymore than a few euro.

Thanks for that, the Reseller quoted me the €700 to replace the ssd. But clearly I'll have to look around for alternatives. Grateful for your reply

cocaliquid wrote: »
    700 euro for ssd and installation

how much is the ssd :eek:

SSD is 700, installation is extra.

puffbubble wrote: »
    Thanks for that, the Reseller quoted me the €700 to replace the ssd. But clearly I'll have to look around for alternatives. Grateful for your reply

That price from Apple seems to be a logic board my friend. That’s how much compub would have charged me out of consumer law.

Those macs have ssd soldered in afaik and therefore needs a logic board replacement for ssd replacement

would be unusual for that ssd to fail , but a mid 2014 macbook pro SSD replacement , Ive done 240gb ones for 300 inc fitting, thats mad money unless its a 1tb one and even then....

Can you believe its only 128gb!

flexcon wrote: »
    Probably can’t install ssd yourself unless you know what you are doing as it’s pcie flash if not mistaken.

Reseller said it could be Toshiba or Samsung drive, but Apple wouldn't disclose details

• Advertisement

That price from Apple seems to be a logic board my friend. That’s how much compub would have charged me out of consumer law.

Those macs have ssd soldered in afaik and therefore needs a logic board replacement for ssd replacement

macbook pro has a replaceable one, its the 'macbook' and air its soldered in.

puffbubble wrote: »
    Reseller said it could be Toshiba or Samsung drive, but Apple wouldn't disclose details

I did some googling and it looks like that quote is indeed for a whole new logic board.

I used to work for AppleCare and that price seems to ring a bell for an issue like this

macbook pro has a replaceable one, its the 'macbook' and air its soldered in.

Yeah I remember some MacBook having that issue, probably 2015 or so when I left in 2016. Some nightmare having to justify that whole Situation.

Yeah I remember some MacBook having that issue, probably 2015 or so when I left in 2016. Some nightmare having to justify that whole Situation.

I ship those to a guy in new york now, he can't upgrade the storage but can replace a dead chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27849

You can probably get a replacement drive and all the tools you need for <150 euro

Also no harm to dig around on apple and see if you are eligible for anything like this
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service
    My old 17 inch MacBook developed a graphics card fault and the whole mother board was replaced for free by apple out of warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 janeoleary

I need some parts for a macbook air 1466 any idea on where to get them
    logic board & top case

janeoleary wrote: »
    I need some parts for a macbook air 1466 any idea on where to get them
    logic board & top case
    No idea, sorry. Best of luck.

Advertisement