Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Census with 'time capsule' section

• 10-07-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0710/1061251-census/

"For the first time, the census will also include a new voluntary "time capsule", a feature that will enable people to write a confidential message of their choice that will be stored securely for 100 years."

Hmmm, interesting. What would you write? I'll be telling my descendants where I've secretly stored the family research!! And to keep my grave tidy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd wish them well and give them my Ancestry.com details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Did we not have some space on the last census to write a comment? I definitely remember writing a note to my descendants on the last census form. We may have already discussed it here a few years ago. Anyway, no grandchildren as yet and not expecting any at this late stage so I may not have any descendants in the future. :( Future genealogists might just come across my form and post it on Boards in a hundred years time!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yeah, I wrote a message on the last one but will be better prepared to come up with something cool this time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

BowWow wrote: »
    I'd wish them well and give them my Ancestry.com details...

Will that have any relevance in 2121?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

tabbey wrote: »
    Will that have any relevance in 2121?

I don't actually know, but it's where I've put a great deal of info. Maybe one of them will update it with the intervening bits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭pummice

"All my valuables are buried at . . ." and leave the rest blank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I won't have direct descendants only nephews but it doesn't really make a difference, I still know a lot about my great great uncles. 100 word isn't enough for me, I would write how I detest the world. I assume it is just the Irish republic census though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pummice wrote: »
    "All my valuables are buried at . . ." and leave the rest blank
    Yes, but don't leave it blank, use a smudgy pen and write in a scrawl that is totally undecipherable. Think of the hours of grief they will spend, posting on some genealogy forum!

Or, why not give a consent, on the lines of "I hereby renounce the right to privacy under the GDPR and I consent to my details on this form to be published when requested."

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I scanned and printed off a copy of the last completed census. I intend doing the same in 2021 and all future ones and keep them with my personal papers. They will then be available for any interested family members when I'm dead and gone. No need for them to wait until 2121.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Leeside wrote: »
    I scanned and printed off a copy of the last completed census. I intend doing the same next year and all future ones and keep them with my personal papers. They will then be available for any interested family members when I'm dead and gone. No need for them to wait until 2021.

Brilliant idea! I must do this as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Leeside wrote: »
    I scanned and printed off a copy of the last completed census. I intend doing the same in 2021 and all future ones and keep them with my personal papers. They will then be available for any interested family members when I'm dead and gone. No need for them to wait until 2121.

I did this last time! ;)

Advertisement