Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2019, 23:19   #151
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
M Josephine was born in a bed elsewhere.
I missed that!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2019, 12:40   #152
Cyrus T Buford

Entry number 36 and 37 in the first link below show twins born in November 1883

TWINS NOV 1883

A Daughter was born to the same parents in March 1883, less than nine months beforehand (Entry 447 in the following link)

Kate March 1883

3 Children born to the same parents in less than 9 months!!
I suspect some manipulation in order to avoid payment of late registration fee's as i doubt this is even possible !!
22-05-2019, 14:18   #153
p15574

I was wondering if they might have delayed the registration of Kate until after a hasty marriage ceremony, but I imagine that this is their wedding registration, in 1878, in Bandon - is it?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....96/8060997.pdf
22-05-2019, 16:26   #154
KildareFan

Or the twins could have been premature.....
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2019, 01:16   #155

I've been hopping around the newspapers.com as its free this weekend. Found the following:

After a shipwreck: (forgot to get the details)
"The remains greatly disfigured, were put into two bags, and then placed in a shell, which was then brought to Cork, put into a coffin"

Balmoral Castle, May 29 1877
"The Queen drove and walked yesterday morning with Princess Beatrice, and in the afternoon Her Majesty drove with Lady Errol and Miss Pitt."

"Mr. Tennyson is to receive two hundred and fifty guineas for a short poem, to appear in the next number of a magazine"
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2019, 02:18   #156
Deja Boo

It's amazing what they considered news, in some places. I read one "happenings around town": Miss Smith had a haircut this morning.
(musta been a slow newsday)
Thanks from:
09-06-2019, 15:26   #157

Gossip was of great interest, especially about the gentry. However, knowing that Her Majesty was out driving or walking.........!! I suppose Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are today's centre for gossip!

I was interested in Tennyson's payment though. Even today its hard to earn a living as a poet! He was doing pretty well.
Thanks from:
09-06-2019, 16:31   #158
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Gossip was of great interest...
Was? When did gossip stop being a newsworthy commodity?
(4) thanks from:
02-07-2019, 15:28   #159
KildareFan

The priest in Mullingar in the 1740s didn't believe in holding back - just two examples of his delightful records [his writing is somewhat illegible but his concerns about illegitimacy are very clear]
Aprile 1748 ye 20th bap: Arthur Killens son to Luke as it said by ye mother for a ? no b ye woman says she was brought to bed at Bunlemon & if she was marr to sd Luke I doubt + ye child was illegit. I did not church her.

1th July 1748 “Bap: Honora Jeffers dawter to Jefford in ye County & Norrin Cassy GF Patr Price & Magy Hapackin NB the woman was a noto whore & its doubtful who ye fathr ye child is spuriously born
Mullingar Baptisms 20 April 1748 p21 https://bit.ly/31XFTro
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2019, 15:38   #160
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
The priest in Mullingar in the 1740s didn't believe in holding back - just two examples of his delightful records [his writing is somewhat illegible but his concerns about illegitimacy are very clear]
Aprile 1748 ye 20th bap: Arthur Killens son to Luke as it said by ye mother for a ? no b ye woman says she was brought to bed at Bunlemon & if she was marr to sd Luke I doubt + ye child was illegit. I did not church her.

1th July 1748 “Bap: Honora Jeffers dawter to Jefford in ye County & Norrin Cassy GF Patr Price & Magy Hapackin NB the woman was a noto whore & its doubtful who ye fathr ye child is spuriously born
Mullingar Baptisms 20 April 1748 p21 https://bit.ly/31XFTro
I assume the notorious whore was Norrin ( Noreen) Casey, and not Magy Hapackin.

To be fair to the priest, he recorded baptisms for us long before most of his peers. Also his register was written in confidence at the time, he had no expectation of it being read by people all over the world on computer screens.

Last edited by tabbey; 02-07-2019 at 15:47.
(3) thanks from:
02-07-2019, 17:34   #161
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
To be fair to the priest, he recorded baptisms for us long before most of his peers. Also his register was written in confidence at the time, he had no expectation of it being read by people all over the world on computer screens.
But he's supposed to be a Christian - love thy neighbour, judge not...blah, blah, blah etc...
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 02:36   #162
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
But he's supposed to be a Christian - love thy neighbour, judge not...blah, blah, blah etc...
Yeah, but he was also required to note the parentage of each child baptised, and whether the child was legitimate or not.

Worth adding that in 1748 "notorious" wasn't a pejorative term. It just meant well-known, generally known.
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 08:33   #163
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Yeah, but he was also required to note the parentage of each child baptised, and whether the child was legitimate or not.

Worth adding that in 1748 "notorious" wasn't a pejorative term. It just meant well-known, generally known.
As a genealogist I'm delighted that they did note these things down but the attitude of the 'Church' to unmarried mothers and their offspring has always been less then charitable as far as I can see.
03-07-2019, 08:46   #164
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
As a genealogist I'm delighted that they did note these things down but the attitude of the 'Church' to unmarried mothers and their offspring has always been less then charitable as far as I can see.
Oh, no argument about that. One of the reasons the baptismal register is supposed to note illegitimacy is that there was entrenched discrimination against illegitimate children. We know, of course, about their exclusion from inheritance, and the fact that (at this time) they had no right to maintenance from their fathers. But under church law they were also barred from being ordained as priests.
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 09:15   #165
Hermy

Yes, there were certainly practical considerations to the noting down of who was in and who was out, so to speak, but the outright hostility towards those who didn't conform always struck me as bizarre given their supposed Christian values. And sadly the legacy of that hostility persists today as those of us who are adopted can attest to.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion