Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-05-2019, 23:19   #151
Hermy
Moderator
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
M Josephine was born in a bed elsewhere.
I missed that!
Hermy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-05-2019, 12:40   #152
Cyrus T Buford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Entry number 36 and 37 in the first link below show twins born in November 1883

TWINS NOV 1883

A Daughter was born to the same parents in March 1883, less than nine months beforehand (Entry 447 in the following link)

Kate March 1883

3 Children born to the same parents in less than 9 months!!
I suspect some manipulation in order to avoid payment of late registration fee's as i doubt this is even possible !!
Cyrus T Buford is offline  
22-05-2019, 14:18   #153
p15574
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 594
I was wondering if they might have delayed the registration of Kate until after a hasty marriage ceremony, but I imagine that this is their wedding registration, in 1878, in Bandon - is it?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....96/8060997.pdf
p15574 is offline  
22-05-2019, 16:26   #154
KildareFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 623
Or the twins could have been premature.....
KildareFan is online now  
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2019, 01:16   #155
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,981
I've been hopping around the newspapers.com as its free this weekend. Found the following:

After a shipwreck: (forgot to get the details)
"The remains greatly disfigured, were put into two bags, and then placed in a shell, which was then brought to Cork, put into a coffin"

Balmoral Castle, May 29 1877
"The Queen drove and walked yesterday morning with Princess Beatrice, and in the afternoon Her Majesty drove with Lady Errol and Miss Pitt."

"Mr. Tennyson is to receive two hundred and fifty guineas for a short poem, to appear in the next number of a magazine"
Jellybaby1 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2019, 02:18   #156
Deja Boo
Moderator
 
Deja Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,764
It's amazing what they considered news, in some places. I read one "happenings around town": Miss Smith had a haircut this morning.
(musta been a slow newsday)
Deja Boo is offline  
Thanks from:
09-06-2019, 15:26   #157
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,981
Gossip was of great interest, especially about the gentry. However, knowing that Her Majesty was out driving or walking.........!! I suppose Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are today's centre for gossip!

I was interested in Tennyson's payment though. Even today its hard to earn a living as a poet! He was doing pretty well.
Jellybaby1 is offline  
Thanks from:
09-06-2019, 16:31   #158
Hermy
Moderator
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Gossip was of great interest...
Was? When did gossip stop being a newsworthy commodity?
Hermy is offline  
(4) thanks from:
02-07-2019, 15:28   #159
KildareFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 623
The priest in Mullingar in the 1740s didn't believe in holding back - just two examples of his delightful records [his writing is somewhat illegible but his concerns about illegitimacy are very clear]
Aprile 1748 ye 20th bap: Arthur Killens son to Luke as it said by ye mother for a ? no b ye woman says she was brought to bed at Bunlemon & if she was marr to sd Luke I doubt + ye child was illegit. I did not church her.

1th July 1748 “Bap: Honora Jeffers dawter to Jefford in ye County & Norrin Cassy GF Patr Price & Magy Hapackin NB the woman was a noto whore & its doubtful who ye fathr ye child is spuriously born
Mullingar Baptisms 20 April 1748 p21 https://bit.ly/31XFTro
KildareFan is online now  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2019, 15:38   #160
tabbey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
The priest in Mullingar in the 1740s didn't believe in holding back - just two examples of his delightful records [his writing is somewhat illegible but his concerns about illegitimacy are very clear]
Aprile 1748 ye 20th bap: Arthur Killens son to Luke as it said by ye mother for a ? no b ye woman says she was brought to bed at Bunlemon & if she was marr to sd Luke I doubt + ye child was illegit. I did not church her.

1th July 1748 “Bap: Honora Jeffers dawter to Jefford in ye County & Norrin Cassy GF Patr Price & Magy Hapackin NB the woman was a noto whore & its doubtful who ye fathr ye child is spuriously born
Mullingar Baptisms 20 April 1748 p21 https://bit.ly/31XFTro
I assume the notorious whore was Norrin ( Noreen) Casey, and not Magy Hapackin.

To be fair to the priest, he recorded baptisms for us long before most of his peers. Also his register was written in confidence at the time, he had no expectation of it being read by people all over the world on computer screens.

Last edited by tabbey; 02-07-2019 at 15:47.
tabbey is offline  
(3) thanks from:
02-07-2019, 17:34   #161
Hermy
Moderator
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
To be fair to the priest, he recorded baptisms for us long before most of his peers. Also his register was written in confidence at the time, he had no expectation of it being read by people all over the world on computer screens.
But he's supposed to be a Christian - love thy neighbour, judge not...blah, blah, blah etc...
Hermy is offline  
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 02:36   #162
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 19,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
But he's supposed to be a Christian - love thy neighbour, judge not...blah, blah, blah etc...
Yeah, but he was also required to note the parentage of each child baptised, and whether the child was legitimate or not.

Worth adding that in 1748 "notorious" wasn't a pejorative term. It just meant well-known, generally known.
Peregrinus is offline  
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 08:33   #163
Hermy
Moderator
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Yeah, but he was also required to note the parentage of each child baptised, and whether the child was legitimate or not.

Worth adding that in 1748 "notorious" wasn't a pejorative term. It just meant well-known, generally known.
As a genealogist I'm delighted that they did note these things down but the attitude of the 'Church' to unmarried mothers and their offspring has always been less then charitable as far as I can see.
Hermy is offline  
03-07-2019, 08:46   #164
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 19,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
As a genealogist I'm delighted that they did note these things down but the attitude of the 'Church' to unmarried mothers and their offspring has always been less then charitable as far as I can see.
Oh, no argument about that. One of the reasons the baptismal register is supposed to note illegitimacy is that there was entrenched discrimination against illegitimate children. We know, of course, about their exclusion from inheritance, and the fact that (at this time) they had no right to maintenance from their fathers. But under church law they were also barred from being ordained as priests.
Peregrinus is offline  
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 09:15   #165
Hermy
Moderator
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,207
Yes, there were certainly practical considerations to the noting down of who was in and who was out, so to speak, but the outright hostility towards those who didn't conform always struck me as bizarre given their supposed Christian values. And sadly the legacy of that hostility persists today as those of us who are adopted can attest to.
Hermy is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet