Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-09-2020, 10:17   #676
BottleOfSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I tested a relative with 23andme so I could see who of relevance was in the database and learn how to use it properly in case I ever have a client with it.

There is a kind of a tree that they put in for you based on your matches, but it's all over the place. They've placed a confirmed and documented match (3rd cousin) on the wrong grandparent's line. Of course, it is possible this match also matches the other grandparent, but seems unlikely to be right. There's no way to correct it either (like wrong potential ancestors on Ancestry's Thrulines).

I've also found a lot of people don't respond and don't fill out the section with where their ancestors came from.

Furthermore, I've had some of the most unhelpful replies ever. Response to polite with some detail query about likely connection "no, I don't think so."
About the response rates - my guess is that many do 23andMe for the health reports and aren't interested in genealogy. So I stopped messaging people who hadn't at least thrown a few names into the surname list.
Similar to people testing with Ancestry for the ethnicity reports, and not logging in again.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-09-2020, 11:00   #677
pinkypinky

I still send messages - you never know!
Thanks from:
22-09-2020, 11:38   #678
mindhorn

To be expected with Ancestry etc but still frustrating when you're confident of a link and have given the person some of the shared connections and where you think the link originates from and they just get back to you with a 'good luck with your search' type response.
Thanks from:
22-09-2020, 11:41   #679
Hermy

I reckon we could devote an entire thread to the choice responses we've received over they years.
(2) thanks from:
22-09-2020, 21:46   #680
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
There is a kind of a tree that they put in for you based on your matches, but it's all over the place. They've placed a confirmed and documented match (3rd cousin) on the wrong grandparent's line. Of course, it is possible this match also matches the other grandparent, but seems unlikely to be right. There's no way to correct it either (like wrong potential ancestors on Ancestry's Thrulines).
You can actually edit the 23andMe Family Tree and add ancestors in 23andMe. It is possible to change the predicted position of a relative in the tree. I have correctly placed 11 DNA matches in the tree. My tree goes back to 3x great grandparents. 23andMe provided an update that allowed these edits to be made. However, matches can't see this tree so the tool is purely for yourself and doesn't help others to figure out how they might connect to you.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-09-2020, 20:16   #681
mindhorn

I uploaded my Ancestry DNA results to LivingDNA and that's given me an entirely new list of matches. However the top match is just 40 cM. Does anyone know if I will receive a notification if I get a reply from any message I've sent to a match? Don't see any messages tab like there is in Ancestry.

Also, where else should I upload my DNA to (for free, preferbly)? I haven't used GEDMatch (and guessing it's not a wise move to start using them now).
29-09-2020, 21:52   #682
mindhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
Does anyone know if I will receive a notification if I get a reply from any message I've sent to a match? Don't see any messages tab like there is in Ancestry.
I've since received a reply and didn't get a notification, so it seems that you need to go back through the list of matches to check for any messages.

Edit: Actually, they send a delayed email notification to let you know there's a new message.

Last edited by mindhorn; 30-09-2020 at 12:47.
29-09-2020, 22:13   #683
spurious
Category Moderator

Why wouldn't you use GEDMatch?
29-09-2020, 22:17   #684
mindhorn

Heard something about a data breach recently but haven't looked any further into it.
Advertisement
30-09-2020, 17:24   #685
paddysdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhorn View Post
I uploaded my Ancestry DNA results to LivingDNA and that's given me an entirely new list of matches. However the top match is just 40 cM. Does anyone know if I will receive a notification if I get a reply from any message I've sent to a match? Don't see any messages tab like there is in Ancestry.

Also, where else should I upload my DNA to (for free, preferbly)? I haven't used GEDMatch (and guessing it's not a wise move to start using them now).
After reading about it here decided to try My Living Dna .Uploaded my Ancestry test and got a few matches,one 3rd/4th cousin level and all the rest very distant.Does seem to be heavily UK biased but then again maybe that's me an my DNA matches.

Still find Ancestry the easiest to use and with the most relevant ie closest matches
Thanks from:
30-09-2020, 18:41   #686
mindhorn

The only reason I used LivingDNA was because I could upload my DNA for free through FMP. Don't think it's worth the fee otherwise.

In the meantime I uploaded my data from Ancestry to FTDNA and MyHeritage, and still waiting for the results from the latter.

Top result on FTDNA is 98 cM. Site doesn't seem to be user friendly when it comes to contacting your matches (appears that you can only email them?).

Also, I see there are a number of add ons on FTDNA. Is it worth splashing out on any of these? The Y-DNA12 test is $59 and then at the upper end of things there's the Big Y-700 test at $449 (!). I'm male by the way, hence looking at this test.

The mtDNA test is $159 and I see from the sticky that this appears to have limited value. Has anyone benefited from this test?
Thanks from:
30-09-2020, 21:11   #687
pinkypinky

Email is actually the best way to contact people - the messaging system on the other sites requires you to log in to read a message, which people might not bother to do. Email hits them more directly.

Have a search of the forum for lots of discussion on Y and MtDNA. If you have a particular patrilineal mystery, then Y DNA is useful but you need to do a minimum of Y111 realistically. I've done a couple of male relatives to Y37 and got nowhere, but it was as much about capturing the DNA for me. FTDNA keeps the sample for 25 years, so I'm playing a long game on the testing improving and the costs of upgrading getting cheaper.
Thanks from:
30-09-2020, 23:35   #688
spurious
Category Moderator

I did the mtDNA with FTDNA in one of their sales. Didn't tell me anything useful really. Would need a lot more people to do it to get useful results.
Thanks from:
01-10-2020, 11:07   #689
KildareFan

Thanks to the kind poster who drew my attention to the Leeds method of grouping DNA matches I have begun to make sense of some matches which didn't appear to make sense before.
My brother & I did the DNA test with Ancestry as did several of my second, third and fourth cousins - it helps to have access to DNA data for siblings and cousins as it helps to separate out different ancestral branches.
I combined matches on my brother's and my tree together, and added matches from known second and third cousins' DNA. I have now managed to allocate matches into previously underpopulated branches of the family tree.
One example is that I have a lot of information on my maternal great grandfather's ancestors, going back to the 1600s, but very little on his wife's ancestors. I have numerous matches loading on to my maternal great grandparents, however by comparing the 2nd/3rd cousin DNA matches who are descended from my maternal great father's siblings, I was able to separate out the matches which loaded on to my maternal great grandmother's line [complicated I know, but think of Venn Diagrams!].
(3) thanks from:
14-10-2020, 10:29   #690
BottleOfSmoke

FamilyTreeDNA?

I uploaded my Ancestry results to FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) a few years ago. This thread reminded me to go back and take a look.

I have under two hundred DNA matches there. That seems really low. I know that Ancestry is the biggest company, but I even have several thousand on MyHeritage.

Would be interested if anyone else here could give their total there?

I'm actually wondering if I uploaded too long ago, and need to do it again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion