Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Badminton for a semi beginner?

• 25-09-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm considering taking up badminton again to improve my fitness and have a bit of fun. I played a good bit when I was a teenager and was good enough but haven't played in about 10 years so I'm probably pretty crap now.

I was looking around for a club to join but everything seems pretty serious. I read on one site that they were accepting limited new members but acceptance would be based on badminton standard - is this the usual method of admission to clubs? If so I could find it difficult enough to find somewhere to play.

Any help much appreciated - I'm a girl if that matters :P

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unfortunately, many clubs are very league focused and don't really want new beginners. But, I guess it will depend on where you are (geographically).

Some clubs will take people who just want some club play and who are beginners.

Look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

That's a pity. I'm based in South Dublin. I play hockey for a club and we support a range of different abilities from beginners to national players. The feeling is that a person doesn't need to be good at a support to contribute to the club. I'm pretty disappointed to hear that this isn't the case for badminton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blueskies99

Hi there, Where are you based? I play with a group in Dublin 9. We don't play competitively and just for fun but standard is fine! Doubles usually (mixed) . I'm not sure if there are still spaces for this year - on Thurs nights 8-10 and you can come for all or any of that 2 hour slot. If the location suits you I can find out if there is space left this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MinesABulmers

levi wrote: »
    I'm considering taking up badminton again to improve my fitness and have a bit of fun. I played a good bit when I was a teenager and was good enough but haven't played in about 10 years so I'm probably pretty crap now.

I was looking around for a club to join but everything seems pretty serious. I read on one site that they were accepting limited new members but acceptance would be based on badminton standard - is this the usual method of admission to clubs? If so I could find it difficult enough to find somewhere to play.

Any help much appreciated - I'm a girl if that matters :P

Levi - checkout http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365853

We have players of all abilities and some like yourself are players coming back from playing at school.

Contact Alec at the club via beagsbeo@gmail.com or checkout www.beagsbeo.com for more details.

Like most badminton clubs we like to play league but we also have a significant membership who just play social.

At worst, if Beag 's Beo BC can't help you back playing badminton they should be able to point you at a club that will.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

That's a pity. I'm based in South Dublin. I play hockey for a club and we support a range of different abilities from beginners to national players. The feeling is that a person doesn't need to be good at a support to contribute to the club. I'm pretty disappointed to hear that this isn't the case for badminton.

I'm only a beginner myself, having first started playing in a social setting a few months ago. I then done a 6 week coaching course, which was a huge help.

I've just joined St Brigids badminton club who play on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in Rathdown School, Glenageary. I was very nervous on the first evening as they don't take beginners, so was worried that my standard wasn't going to be good enough to be accepted as a member. When a club says they don't take beginners, I now take that to mean someone who is only learning to hit a shuttle and has never played a racquet sport before. As you've played before (albeit a long while ago) I'd have no doubt you'd be accepted as a member in any club.

hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Where did you do the lessons? I'd be interested in doing some of them just to get me back into it.

Where did you do the lessons? I'd be interested in doing some of them just to get me back into it.

Ring Terenure Badminton Centre, Whitehall Road, Dublin 12
    Ph No : 01 4505966/4508101
    www.leinsterbadminton.com

They are constantly running 10 week beginner and improvers classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

I did the course in ESB Sportsco in Ringsend, but I don't think it's a reqular event that they run.
    If you've played before, then you're not going to need lessons, it'll all come back to you very quickly.

What club are you thinking of joining anyway?

Hadn't decided about what club... I live in Dublin 14 so was hoping to find somewhere close but the only place I've gotten a reply from is Beags Beo. I was going to pop up yesterday but something came up...

Do you know of any badminton clubs that aren't in Terenure Badminton Centre that are nearer to Dublin 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ring Terenure Badminton Centre, Whitehall Road, Dublin 12
    Ph No : 01 4505966/4508101
    www.leinsterbadminton.com

They are constantly running 10 week beginner and improvers classes.

Nice one, I never played Badminton before. Played a good bit of tennis, but love to get the hang of badminton. Nothing on their site about the beginner classes, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what story is with that.

Be great to have that to play for the winter.

• Advertisement

Hadn't decided about what club... I live in Dublin 14 so was hoping to find somewhere close but the only place I've gotten a reply from is Beags Beo. I was going to pop up yesterday but something came up...

Do you know of any badminton clubs that aren't in Terenure Badminton Centre that are nearer to Dublin 14?

Sorry - been away on holidays.
    Try this list - http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sports/clubsBadminton.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ejkil18

Hi Levi, did you ever have any joy with finding a club? I'm a complete beginner, am hoping to start lessons soon in terenure and would ideally be able to enter leagues (obviously beginners ones!) to keep the motivation levels up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JacqC

Terenure Badminton Centre are having an open day with free play and lessons on Sunday 19th August. Special offers on the day. check put there facebook page Leinster Terenure Badminton Centre for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Please read the charter. No zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement