Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ellis Island Records

• 09-09-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Everybody tells me to check the Ellis Island records for details of some of my family tree. However, I am unable to find any of my ancestors in these records (Although some did travel to USA in this tmeframe). So my question is;

Is Ellis Island the only port they could have arrived at? Did every Irish person have to go through Ellis Island? Are there other ports that may contain the records?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've found some fascinating stuff there. Have you tried various spellings of the surname? Or just a first initial instead of a name?
    Obviously, there were other ports but most first time emigrants went through Ellis Island. I've found where ancestors left with neighbours and relatives, where they'd been over, came home and went back and even what address they were bound for. Amazing stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is it possible your ancestors went to Canada first?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

il gatto wrote: »
    I've found some fascinating stuff there. Have you tried various spellings of the surname? Or just a first initial instead of a name?

Me too. I found both my Grand-Aunts and also a neighbour who they travelled out with. I drew a blank with the Grand-Uncles . 2 went to New York but I could not find official Ellis Island records for them.
    I also could not find my husband's Grand-Uncle who also went to New York on the records even with checking alternative spellings etc.
    I discovered that my Grand-Father sailed to New York as a member of the crew which was a fascinating discovery!

If you ever get a chance to visit Ellis Island do. It's an amazing place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Where would you find records for coming through a Canadian port?

This isn't my area of expertise - I'd start with Ancestry. It does depend on what period we're talking about.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Hmm, I suppose it is a possibility but it is certainly something I never heard of... But one thing I have come to realise in family history research is to not take everything your living relatives tell you as fact! :-)

But anyways, back to my original question; Did every Irish person entering USA have to go through Ellis Island? I would be specifically interested in the late 1800's.

I don't think so. Ellis Island only opened in 1892. Going to the USA via Canada was a common route too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Thanks for the information guys. Ellis Island gives information until 1924. Is there anywhere I could find information on immigrants after 1924???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

Thanks for the information guys. Ellis Island gives information until 1924. Is there anywhere I could find information on immigrants after 1924???

Ive got access up to 1957 NY and Boston 1940's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Ellis Island NY - or that matter Boston - are only two ports out of many that the Irish entered the US through. Here is a link to Ellis Is and it explains that

-
    While most immigrants entered the United States through New York Harbor (the most popular destination of steamship companies), others sailed into many ports such as Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, San Francisco and Savannah, Miami, and New Orleans.

http://www.ellisisland.org/genealogy/ellis_island_history.asp

I've lived in a number of places in the US and knew a number of people whose ancestors had entered through the alternative ports mentioned here. What might give a clue if you can find it is the address/city they lived in when in the US. The Irish tended to live near their port of entry - but not always of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement