Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only football team allowed to play in same colours, home or away?

• 01-02-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Which is the only football team that are allowed to play in the same colours, home or away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Good Q - stab in the dark - Norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Palermo in their pink strip in the Serie A?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

hanton12 wrote: »
    Palermo in their pink strip in the Serie A?

Palermo have (like most teams) 3 different strips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

for the rest of the season I believe Motherwell are allowed to wear their home shirt with phil o'donnells signature on it as a mark of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

BArcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

BArcelona

not Barca anyway, they had the disgusting luminous yellow thing for a couple of seasons, and they have a trocious orange thing now too!

good question tho, any clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

hanton12 wrote: »
    not Barca anyway, they had the disgusting luminous yellow thing for a couple of seasons, and they have a trocious orange thing now too!

This year's Barca away is a quite nice light blue number. Looks even better cause I have Xavi 6 on the back :D

Back to the question, maybe it's not a soccer team? Could be AFL, NFL, GAA etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

is it the all whites??? (nz)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

beerbaron wrote: »
    Good Q - stab in the dark - Norwich

Nope we play in our away strip against Hull,Wolves and Watford.

pd101 wrote: »
    New Zealand

I meant the NZ soccer team

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Total stab here but is it QPR, I've never seen them play in anything but white and blue hoops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

QPR change when playing against Sheffield Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Total stab here but is it QPR, I've never seen them play in anything but white and blue hoops

QPR played in Black and red hoops in 82 (or was it 83) cup final

I think the questioner has buggered off .

we might never know the answer.

ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭molby14

think reading can ....... some rubbish to to with the royal family its never enforced though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

stooge wrote: »
    for the rest of the season I believe Motherwell are allowed to wear their home shirt with phil o'donnells signature on it as a mark of respect.

Is this not the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think its Reading also

• Advertisement

I'm happy with The Barbarians except the
    problem is they have no home :)

Im fairly sure I've seen Reading in a changed kit. I think it had grey stripes or something like that.

When are we going to have the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I have a maroon Reading away jersey so it's clearly not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its not inforced but reading if they want to can wear there home kit when colours clash and they are away from home.

There was talk of it a couple of seasons ago because reading changed the size of the hoops on their home kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭frankbrett

http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/interactive/answer1.htm

Q: Which two teams do not have to wear their change strips at an away game, but can instead insist that the home team change theirs?
    A: Preston North End (because they were the first Football League champions) and Reading (because they play in the Royal County of Berkshire)

The only problem with this question is that it is UTTER RUBBISH! Is there anyone out there who is really so stupid as to think that there would be FA rules relating to the above. And why Preston North End anyway? Why not The Wanderers, who were the first winners of the FA Cup? Surely that would be a more likely rule? And what exactly does "playing in the Royal County" have to do with anything? Name one reason why occupying the same county as a group of German parasites should have anything to do with the colour shirts that a football side might wear.

There is a theory that this particularly stupid question goes back to Reading's away trip to Brighton & Hove Albion in the 1992/93 season. That year, the Reading marketing people introduced the new first team kit of blue and white hoops, to general acclaim. However, they were also exceptionally stupid (no change there!) and created a reserve strip of yellow and blue hoops. When we played away to a side with blue in their shirts, and so had to wear our change strip, quite a few referees took one look at the Reading away shirts and said that the game couldn't possibly take place like that.

Normally, this meant that Reading had to wear the home side's away shirt - this happened at Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town, for example. At Brighton, for whatever reason, it was the home side who changed into their away shirt. Reading played in the blue and white hoops, and it appears that the legend of the question was born.

Quite where Preston North End came into it, I have no idea.

Neil Sheldon told me he had heard a version of the answer which included Notts County on the basis that they were the oldest League club and founder members. Clearly, though, this is still rubbish.

Russell Parr told me that until the early 1970s Arsenal always wore their change strip in games against Nottingham Forest, whether playing at home or away. This was as a mark of respect for the fact that it was Forest who donated Royal Arsenal a set of red shirts in 1887 when the London club was formed. Should this question ever appear but replacing either Preston or Reading with Nottingham Forest, then this tale is likely to be the reason why.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was always of the opinion that all teams could wear their "home" kit at away games, as long as there isn't a clash of colours. I've just been looking through "The Laws of the Game" on the Football Association website and I can't find any reference to teams being compelled to change their strip for away games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If the reading story was true, then it would also apply to Chelsea and Fulham as they come from the Royal borough of Kensington and Chelsea. I'm sure there are other royal boroughs as well.

Maidenhead United and Windsor and Eton spring to mind. and errr Slough Town, although they are known as the rebels so maybe they don't count:D

on a side note, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool wear red so if they cut themselves the blood will not show on their shirts. Portsmouth wear Blue for exactly the same reason!!

Turns out the Muppet who sent me the question in the first place came back with Derby, which obviously is wrong!

Advertisement