Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sailors Graveyard?

• 13-09-2013 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently become a aware of a graveyard adjacent to the Tara Towers Hotel on the Merrion road in Dublin, and I am just wondering about who is buried there? I did ask in the Tara Towers, and the manager thought it was a graveyard for Spanish sailors who drowned during the Armada, however, one of his colleagues thought the garvayard was full of British sailors who perished during a storm sometime pre 1900. I also asked in the petrol station and the fella in there said that a ferry from the North Wall went aground offshore, and those who perished are buried there, so I don't know what to believe!

Can somebody say for sure what the truth is regarding this graveyard and its deceased inhabitants.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,046 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bellevue cemetery - it's very old, goes back to at least the fourteenth century, and probably started out as a churchyard, though nothing remains of the church.

There is a bunch of soldiers buried there who died when their transport sank outside Dun Laoghaire harbour during a bad storm - that was some time during the Napoleonic wars, i.e. before 1815.

The cemetery was declared full, and closed, some time later in the 19th century. It's managed as a public park now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There were two ships lost, the Rochdale and the Prince of Wales. Those lost on the Prince of Wales were buried at Bellevue Cemetary and from the Rochdale at Carrickbrennan in Monkstown. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rochdale_and_the_Prince_of_Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thanks guys, now I know.

Amazing that the adjoining hotel isn't aware of its history, specially with so many tourists staying there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Carrickbrennan graveyard also contains the bodies of many other sailors, notably those from the 1860's wreck of the Neptune in a winter storm in Dun Laoghaire / Kingstown. The captain of HMS AjaxAjax, Boyd, drowned with his boat's crew when attempting a rescue of Neptune, was to be buried there also, but his body was not recovered until weeks later and he was buried in Dublin (St. Patricks?) The members of his yacht club (Royal St. George YC) erected the memorial (Boyd obelisk) on the East Pier. His labrador is the source of the ghost story 'The Black dog of the Liberties.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The captain of HMS Ajax, Boyd, drowned with his boat's crew when attempting a rescue of Neptune, was to be buried there also, but his body was not recovered until weeks later and he was buried in Dublin (St. Patricks?)

boydajax_zps8f3f3d82.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I found this which gives good info on the storm and this which covers Boyd’s service life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Is this graveyard accessible and are the headstones visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,046 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

slowburner wrote: »
    Is this graveyard accessible and are the headstones visible?
    There are many headstones visible.

As to accessibility, according to Wikipedia it's managed as a park by Dublin Corporation, but the Corpo's own website doesn't list it as a park. There's been a problem of vandalism there, and my guess is that to minimse that problem and/or to save money the Corpo may have mothballed it as an active park. You could contact the Corpo parks department and ask about access, if you are interested in research.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The good news is that the graveyard is accessible - at least it was today. It might be unlocked between 10-4pm, in common with many other graveyards.

Graveyards of this sort of vintage are undervalued places. If you were to look at a document from the early C18th, you would be asked to don cotton gloves and hold your breath. But in these graveyards, we have open air access to C18th and often much earlier 'documents'. A priceless and frequently neglected part of our heritage.

The commemorative stone below may not be too easy to read, so here is the inscription:

Sacred
    To the memory of the Soldiers
    belonging to his Majesty's 18th Regement (sic)
    Of Foot and a few belonging to other
    Corps who Actuated by a desire of more
    Extensive Service Nobly Volunteered
    from the South Mayo and different
    Regements of Irish Militia into the line
    and who were unfortunately shipwrecked
    on this Coast in the Prince of Wales Packet
    and Perished on the Night of the 19th of
    November 1807 this Tribute to their
    Memory has been placed on their Tomb
    by order of GENERAL the
    EARL of HARRINGTON