Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family scandal!

Options
  • 06-06-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭

A cousin from America recently contacted me about his visit to a parish priest house in the early 90's, while waiting for the priest an elderly women started speaking to them. When she heard the family name she started getting very emotional and went hysterical saying things such as "they didn't want to leave" and "they were shipped off onto a boat against their will" after she calmed down she said that the family had been shipped off onto a boat to Australia but she went quickly went away and nothing more was said to my cousin on the matter.

Is their any way I could find out if this was true? What kind of records would be kept of this or does it sound like something that might have been covered up?

This would date from the mid 1800's

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Much more detail required before we can give you advice.

What part of the country?
    What decade in the 19th century?
    What circumstances? Was it crime or famine related?

It's hard to say if records exist without these details. If for example, we're talking about transportation to Australia for crime - there are records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm agog to find out the story. Most interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Sorry I got excited while typing.

It was around 1830-1840 they would have being living in Laois (Queens County) in the area of Bunlacken (they are buried in Durrow). Due to a reason never disclosed my great, great, great grandfather left Laois and came to live in Kilkenny (Urlingford)

When I was younger my grandfather used to speak of a fight or somthing that had happened between my great (x3) grandfather and his brother but being so young I never really took notice and unfortunately he passed away in 1996 and my spark in the family history only came about three years ago.

While looking through my great uncle (x3) children's baptismal records on familysearch.org all of them had him down as the father and his wife as the mother except for the last child who was baptized with a different father's name (same name as my great grandfather (x3) and his father)

My father believes that their was either an affair between my great grandfather (x4) and his sons wife or maybe even as bad as rape and she ended up getting pregnant.

We have accounted for all my great uncle's (x3) children's graves except for this one child who has disappeared as well as any more information on my great grandfather (x4)

Is it possible that he would have been shipped away for either of those reasons? Myself and my father had thought that he might have been murdered if he had abused the women but now that my relative mentioned this it has given us another possibility.

This post is probably all jumbled up so I'm sorry for inconvenience when reading I'm still a little excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Due to a reason never disclosed my great, great, great grandfather left Laois and came to live in Kilkenny (Urlingford)

When I was younger my grandfather used to speak of a fight or somthing that had happened between my great (x3) grandfather and his brother

While looking through my great uncle (x3) children's baptismal records on familysearch.org all of them had him down as the father and his wife as the mother except for the last child who was baptized with a different father's name (same name as my great grandfather (x3) and his father)

My father believes that their was either an affair between my great grandfather (x4) and his sons wife or maybe even as bad as rape and she ended up getting pregnant.

This post is probably all jumbled up so I'm sorry for inconvenience when reading I'm still a little excited!

If your great grandfather(x3) and his father had the same name could it not have been the great grandfather(x3) that had the child with his brother's wife? Would that not then back up what your grandfather spoke about a fight and perhaps that was why your great grandfather (x3) left Laois? (It's late so i apologise if i've got my generations mixed up lol)

Advertisement