Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Killed More?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Who killed more the British or Hitler?

I personally think the british, and if they did how come the brits are not portrayed the way hitler is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Well the Brits were on the winning team, so they were able to go through the post war prosecutions of the Nazi leadership in the Nuremberg trials, criminalizing the German top brass. Which to be fair was justified :rolleyes: the Nazis had concentration camps for political opponents, jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally disabled etc. etc and committed genocide on a wide scale not just in Germany but in a lot of what became the Eastern Bloc. Look at Warsaw ghetto for example. The British could be held accountable for stuff like the bombing of Dresden but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a war crime. It's moot in my opinion anyway because the Germans started the whole area bombing fiasco.

And also you don't limit a certain time period for the British? Are you talking about in WWII or since the establishment of a British state?

Basically, the British were quite justified in giving Germany a right kicking and even if you were right in that the British killed more (which I highly doubt, considering Britain's capabilities I find it far more likely that more casualties were inflicted by the Americans operating out of Britain and the Soviet advance), it wouldn#t change the fact that those casualties were caused by legitimate military action instigated by the Germans as opposed to Hitler being a massive scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pajoanseo

Sorry, i meant ever?

And would they be the nation to have killed most people ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm answering post 3, not post 1

If you want to include things like unintentionally spreading diseases like smallpox it would be the Spanish

Or do you mean directly kill with weapons and armies?
    In that case, with thousands of years of civil wars, I'd say the Chinese. Chinese Kingdoms trying to wipe each other out and that's not even including the Communists vs Nationalists in the 20th century

You have to take in to account the smaller global populations though the further back in time you go.

And to address the negative portrayal of Britain, against western, developed nations, Britain's conduct has been pretty normal. They were never known for committing an extraordinary number of atrocities and their conduct was generally pretty par for the course. You may have an arguement to make for conflicts to do with indigenous populations in the colonial era but the French, Belgians, Germans and Dutch were all doing it too and you have to look at it in context as a less civilized time where these people were looked on as less than human.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This isn't a history thread. locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement