Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

family not on census

Options
  • 16-11-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

i wonder if anyone on here can advise me, i cannot find my g grandparents on the 1911 census. i have tried every family member, every variation of name, people of the same age with similar surnames, basicly every possible way of finding them. i spoke to one of the genealogists in the NA about it and he said that there were errors that were being rectified all the time, this was maybe a couple of years ago.

they were a poor family so i think travelling abroad was out of the question. i can find my g granmother in the 1901 with her first husband, she married my g grandfather in 1907 my grandmother was born in 1909. there was also a child from the first marriage but i cant find trace of any of them.

what are the chances that hey just werent on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

there are a relatively small number of locations missing from the online 1911 census, but I believe these are being worked on.

A more common reason for people not showing up is due to mistranscriptions or unexpected spelling of name. It's worthwhile trying other angles to the search - e.g. use the advanced search features to include and occupation or religion, try wildcard searches.

Do you know roughly where they should be located ?

It's sometimes worth browsing the households in the likely streets or townland, or checking the surnames on the building returns.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

hi shane

have tried every way possible to find them making allowances for spelling mistakes, i tried the childrens first name with just approx age and surname first. they were street traders in dublin city centre and lived in and around there, as street dealers i wouldnt imagine they would have moved too far from where they traded. she was a bit loose with the truth, her age, and on her marriage cert for her second marriage her fathers surname was the same as her first husbands and it said she was a spinster even though she had a child. this makes me wonder if maybe she didnt want to be on it for some reason and found a way round it if possible? what i really need it for is to find out where her second husband (my g grandfather) was born

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Samina,

Can you link to the other census so we can help you out?
    Also have you tried the Irish version of their name?
    As Shane says there are sections omitted because the microfilms that the digitised did have missing sections. I haven't heard of any missing sections in Dublin city though.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

thanks for the replies.

i am attaching the 1901 census my ggrandmother rosanna was with her sister and her sisters husband here.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003794499/

as you can see her husband isnt here i cant find anything on him either, apart from marriage cert. i know of one child from this first marriage. i havent been able to find the death cert of the first husband because its too common a name and i have no idea of his age.

rosanna married my g grandfather thomas hannon in 1907 and my grandmother was born in 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Did they have any children after your grandmother, around 1911? If so, I'd check the address on the cert and scour the area on the census, looking for possibilities. If not, do you know where they were living in 1909 when your gran was born?

• Advertisement

hi alicat, there are none that i know of or have found any record of, i checked the address of my grans birth and their marriage to no avail.

Advertisement