Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Largest gathering ever?

Options
  • 25-11-2003 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

Was Woodstock?

A mate of mine reminded me that Woodstock had 600,000 people attending it and I thought 'bugger me that's a lot of people!'

But was it the largest gathering of people on this earth ever? Were there collections of armies that were larger than this in Roman times? Or Hitlers time?

Basically, was there ever a gathering (in one place) of an extremely massive amount of people of more than 600,000?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Don't they get a couple of million into Tiananmen Square the odd time?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmm, maybe I should have done a google...

6,000,000 apparently

Come to think of it, maybe the largest gatherings would be televised gatherings such as the Diana wedding and the Bob Geldof thing and some Chinese torture show probably..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What about when the pope came hopw many people turned out to see him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

yea a million and a half people were meant to have turned up to see the pope in ireland but i dont think that was all in the same place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

way off the mark folks. First there's the Hadj...

but the biggest by miles is...

The Maha Kumbh Mela 2001
    Over 30 Million people will come together at the Maha Kumbh Mela festival in Allahabad, India on January 24th, 2001

www.kumbhmela.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement