Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Canada Questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

antix80 wrote: »
    They won't get away with their nonsense over there.

Why not? they get away with it in the UK, Australia and all over Europe.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've only lived in Toronto, so my answers are based around that.
    In Ireland right now even the worst houses are so expensive, is Canada the same?
    Toronto houses would be equal to Dublin city centre prices, and then some. Have seen houses go for in excess of a million dollars. Even with the exchange rate, so would be equal to a million euros for a four bed house, at roughly a distance of Dublin city centre to Lucan.
    Is the health system more efficient than the HSE?
    Yeah. In Ontario, you get an OHIP card after you work for 3 months, and you need to renew it every year. With it, you can goto a walk-in doctor with ease, and I even had my foot x-rayed for free with it. Find it to be a good system.
    Is it a necessity to have private health insurance like it is in Ireland?
    Going over, you need to show that you won't be a leech should something go wrong. Pay €300 for it. Reading the small print, and you'll see that it'd cover expenses to allow you to be fixed up to fly home, but not much more. Without this 2 year insurance, you won't get your two year visa, and you'll be told to fcuk off back to Ireland.

Most full-time employment will get private health insurance, and this often covers dental work. Contract work will pay nice, but no company private health care.
    Im also interested in the difference in standard of living and opportunities for someone like me who works within the Learning and Development function..
    Sorry, can't help. If you're going to Toronto, join "irish and new in toronto!" or if going elsewhere, join the Irish facebook page for that location, and ask there.
    Does anyone have any further information on any of these questions?
    Ask away.
    By the way, Canadians think it's acceptable to live in a caravan. I worked with a lady in a bakery in Victoria. She was working full time with early morning starts from around 4am. The most she could afford was a mobile home in a trailer park.
    By the way people act here you would think they were impoverished.
    Have seen a few of these. Typically, I find them to be in areas where people wouldn't buy houses in. In Toronto, the cheap houses/mobile homes are in the flight path of Pearson airport.
    I've a friend who lived in canada and he bought a mobile home in a small city , nice garden with 2 mature trees. It wasn't cheap. It was as good as any small house and his neighbours were mainly retirees. I'd take it any day over a flat in Toronto
    Have found that people in a lot of the flats in Toronto don't know their neighbours, unless you're in the likes of the Irish Twin Towers. So for that reason, I don't know would I live long term in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

They won't get away with their nonsense over there.

There are people out there who are worse than gypsies, and they're called Canadians. Before you make your mind up, come here and find out for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Some very racist comments in this thread. I’ve lived in Canada and found that Canadians are lovely. It is expensive though. Also the winters are not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

poisonated wrote: »
    Some very racist comments in this thread.
    That Elite Raider chap is a troll.
    I’ve lived in Canada and found that Canadians are lovely.
    I can only speak to people in Toronto. I work in software and everybody in this small start-up have such good personality and make great friends. I've been to my co-workers homes to watch hockey and basketball. At least half of them love the drink and get proper drunk on nights out, but the other half of the group is more of the dry, one pint and a pint of water.
    Also the winters are not pleasant.
    I found the start of the winter in Toronto to be bitter cold and hard to get through. That was until the snow started around December 1st and I discovered skiing and ice skating.

Nothing like free ice skating outdoors at Christmas time. Or snow shoeing at night on fairy lit trails. Pure magic can be found during the winter too.

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »

I can only speak to people in Toronto. I work in software and everybody in this small start-up have such good personality and make great friends. I've been to my co-workers homes to watch hockey and basketball. At least half of them love the drink and get proper drunk on nights out, but the other half of the group is more of the dry, one pint and a pint of water.

This.

I love it here, way more than at home, and I never thought I would still be here but here I am, just sent my citizenship application in last week. Have had no trouble meeting and becoming friends with Canadians although I do know a couple of others from home here which is nice to have.

Best decision of my life, easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement