Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Their rounds 2 and 3 games against Munster and Ulster are on Eir. Cheetahs v Cardiff in round 1 is on Premier Sports.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

Is Premier Sports available anywhere in Rep. of Ireland?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is Premier Sports available anywhere in Rep. of Ireland?

On Sky, it’s part of the BT package and will have some live premier league football for Irish customers.

But their Pro14 coverage will be blocked as Eir have the rights for the Pro14 in Ireland, and Eir no longer have a deal with premier to use their coverage to supplement their own live games.

Are Eir in breach of contract with their customers by not showing half of the league matches?

This is what's being promised on their website right now:
    "MORE SPORT ON eir Sport
    There's a fantastic amount of exclusively LIVE action from eir sport on the way. Our 2019/2020 season includes all 48 games from the 2019 Rugby World Cup, all 152 Guinness PRO14 Games, the GAA Allianz Leagues, exclusive Airtricity League and FA Cup, US Masters golf, Wimbledon and more."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Are Eir in breach of contract with their customers by not showing half of the league matches?

"MORE SPORT ON eir Sport
    There's a fantastic amount of exclusively LIVE action from eir sport on the way. Our 2019/2020 season includes all 48 games from the 2019 Rugby World Cup, all 152 Guinness PRO14 Games, the GAA Allianz Leagues, exclusive Airtricity League and FA Cup, US Masters golf, Wimbledon and more."

Wouldn't be breach of contract as all content is subject to change of circumstances in terms of broadcast deals etc, but would be considered false advertising if they're still saying they'll have all of the matches shown live when in fact they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭b.gud

"MORE SPORT ON eir Sport

I'm no legal expert but it doesn't specifically say that all 152 games will be live so they theoretically show all 152 as delayed coverage in the middle of the night and the highlighted part would still be technically true it would just be really s***ty for their customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It still says all 152 on their website.

Wouldn't be breach of contract as all content is subject to change of circumstances in terms of broadcast deals etc, but would be considered false advertising if they're still saying they'll have all of the matches shown live when in fact they won't.

Also, says the following at https://www.eirsport.ie/rugby
    "RUGBY
    ON eir sport
    ALL 48 games from Rugby World Cup live
    Watch all 152 Guinness PRO14 games
    World Rugby U20s Championship"

This is clearly false advertising if they are not giving the viewers all matches.
    However, I'm hoping they will make them available on other platforms.

If they are trying to say that they have the rights to show as many matches as they like, but are actually choosing to not show certain matches due to lack of resources, then that would seem to me to be false advertising.

They didn’t even show all games last year, it’ll just be even worse this year in terms of coverage.

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm no legal expert but it doesn't specifically say that all 152 games will be live so they theoretically show all 152 as delayed coverage in the middle of the night and the highlighted part would still be technically true it would just be really s***ty for their customers

I would have no issue with delayed coverage, at least would be able to record and watch later.

I'm also hoping there will be a decent rugby broadcasting team for all the matches, with a round-up/highlights programme on the Sunday or Monday evening, and a preview program of upcoming matches on a Thursday evening etc.
    Probably was a bit spoilt with coverage last season!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I would have no issue with delayed coverage, at least would be able to record and watch later.

I'm also hoping there will be a decent rugby broadcasting team for all the matches, with a round-up/highlights programme on the Sunday or Monday evening, and a preview program of upcoming matches on a Thursday evening etc.
    Probably was a bit spoilt with coverage last season!!

Every Munster fixture from R1-R19 is live on either Eir or TG4. I haven't checked Leinster or Connacht but I'd assume it's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

awec wrote: »
    Yea, they are losing the coverage they got for free from Premier.

They should still have access to a fully produced “whistle to whistle” world feed - a standard arrangement in tournaments like this. They may no longer be able to take Premier Sports pre and post game shows though.

icdg wrote: »
    They should still have access to a fully produced “whistle to whistle” world feed - a standard arrangement in tournaments like this. They may no longer be able to take Premier Sports pre and post game shows though.

It’s not listed on the Pro14 site as Eir having coverage though.

Every Munster fixture from R1-R19 is live on either Eir or TG4. I haven't checked Leinster or Connacht but I'd assume it's the same.

All bar 4 of the Irish teams' matches are shown between Eir and TG4,
    Those 4 are:

Ulster v Cheetahs 22nd February
    Ulster v Dragons 20th March
    Zebre v Ulster 16th May
    Ulster v Leinster 29th May !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

awec wrote: »
    It’s not listed on the Pro14 site as Eir having coverage though.

eir are listed as showing the Irish games only
    Premier listed for all games

All bar 4 of the Irish teams' matches are shown between Eir and TG4,
    Those 4 are:

Ulster v Cheetahs 22nd February
    Ulster v Dragons 20th March
    Zebre v Ulster 16th May
    Ulster v Leinster 29th May !!

No TV has been announced for R21. Ulster V Leinster will definitely be televised.

In the Republic of Ireland, eir Sport will screen every game supported by TG4’s Free-To-Air coverage while Super Sport continue their coverage of the Guinness PRO14 in South Africa.

From the fixture announcement page Pro14

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/07/17/fixtures-for-2019-20-guinness-pro14-season-confirmed/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

All Leinsters games are individually noted as being on Eir by Leinster themselves, including the SA away games.

No TV has been announced for R21. Ulster V Leinster will definitely be televised.

How do you reckon that?
    Pro14 Fixtures
    That link shows the TV coverage for round 21 and has Eir Sport and DAZN covering the Munster v Connacht match and Premier and DAZN covering the Ulster v Leinster match.

Are you implying that because the kick-off times have not been decided that they may add more coverage to these matches at a future date?
    I certainly hope so, but I think it happened last season too that some Ulster fixtures weren't shown on Eir or TG4.

How do you reckon that?
    Pro14 Fixtures
    That link shows the TV coverage for round 21 and has Eir Sport and DAZN covering the Munster v Connacht match and Premier and DAZN covering the Ulster v Leinster match.

Are you implying that because the kick-off times have not been decided that they may add more coverage to these matches at a future date?
    I certainly hope so, but I think it happened last season too that some Ulster fixtures weren't shown on Eir or TG4.

KO times and TV channels have only been announced up to round 20. No KO times or TV has been announced for round 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Are we really stressing about tv coverage of round 21? In July like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Are we really stressing about tv coverage of round 21? In July like?

Yes because we're rugby fanatics. Says a lot about us.

KO times and TV channels have only been announced up to round 20. No KO times or TV has been announced for round 21.

I hadn’t read that anywhere, do you have a link please to where it says TV coverage has not been announced?
    The fixtures announcement said that the kick-off times are not finalized, but it already displays the TV coverage the same as for all the other rounds, no mention of TV coverage not being finalized.
    Perhaps it’s implied but I’m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I hadn’t read that anywhere, do you have a link please to where it says TV coverage has not been announced?
    The fixtures announcement said that the kick-off times are not finalized, but it already displays the TV coverage the same as for all the other rounds, no mention of TV coverage not being finalized.
    Perhaps it’s implied but I’m not sure.

From the Pro14 announcement...

Fans in the UK can watch every game live on Premier Sports with FreeSports UK and S4C providing live and deferred Free-To-Air coverage throughout the season each weekend. FreeSports UK will confirm all of their selections later this summer.

In the Republic of Ireland, eir Sport will screen every game supported by TG4’s Free-To-Air coverage while Super Sport continue their coverage of the Guinness PRO14 in South Africa.

It's pretty much implied that it'll be covered on at least eir and Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So if I'm reading that right, eir will have all games played in Ireland and SA, but none of the games played in Wales, Scotland or Italy? Meaning any provincial fixtures in the latter 3 will not be available? So does this not mean that people would be better to leave eir entirely and move to Sky with a BT subscription? That way we'd get all HEC and P14 games on BT and Premier respectively?

molloyjh wrote: »
    So if I'm reading that right,

Eir will screen every game in Republic of Ireland

I note "live" is not used but the implication is that they have all games

The pro14 fixture list is confusing things as Eir are not listed for every game

The premier sports broadcasting of pro14 games will likely be blocked as Eir have the rights so I don't think you can see Pro14 that way

molloyjh wrote: »
    So if I'm reading that right, eir will have all games played in Ireland and SA, but none of the games played in Wales, Scotland or Italy? Meaning any provincial fixtures in the latter 3 will not be available? So does this not mean that people would be better to leave eir entirely and move to Sky with a BT subscription? That way we'd get all HEC and P14 games on BT and Premier respectively?

Munster away to Edinburgh, Zebre and Benetton are all listed as being in Eir so that's not correct. I don't think Eir have any games not involving the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Munster away to Edinburgh, Zebre and Benetton are all listed as being in Eir so that's not correct. I don't think Eir have any games not involving the provinces.

This time last year I was scrambling to get eir tv installed, thank Christ I didn't!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This is grossly unfair to viewers in ROI. Pro 14 organisers clearly promoted (when present deal was signed) that every game would be available live to viewers on these islands. This has not and will not be the case. Those south of the border can only hope that Eir Sports goes the way of Setanta (with subscriptions declining rapidly due to absence of BT Sport in Eir Sports package) and Premier Sports 1/2 are both made available to them and 'in the clear.'

Setanta have gone nowhere - they are behind Premier Sports. The black and yellow logo isn’t a coincidence. But Premier and eir Sport, as of 1st August are no longer allies and will be in competition with each other. The only possible bright spark is that eir will be making Premier Sports’ Freesports channel available to its customers, though this will be the separate ROI version with Pro14 blocked.

Re the fixtures more generally this happens every year. I’m not sure any of any domestic league competition, outside of the US & Canada (where Sports rights work a bit different) where there is that many host broadcasters involved. Usually nearer the time we get more games confirmed. Eir didn’t screen every game last year(and I think ROI Ulster fans in particular got a bit of a raw deal) even though the promised they would show them all, but they showed more than what was confirmed at the time the fixtures were announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I presume Eir will show all games, just not necessarily live. With only two channels they couldn't show all games live even if they wanted to.

I don't really see the problem tbh, the demand for live Pro14 games not involving a province is neglible, even among rugby fans.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Setanta have gone nowhere - they are behind Premier Sports. The black and yellow logo isn’t a coincidence. But Premier and eir Sport, as of 1st August are no longer allies and will be in competition with each other. The only possible bright spark is that eir will be making Premier Sports’ Freesports channel available to its customers, though this will be the separate ROI version with Pro14 blocked.

Re the fixtures more generally this happens every year. I’m not sure any of any domestic league competition, outside of the US & Canada (where Sports rights work a bit different) where there is that many host broadcasters involved. Usually nearer the time we get more games confirmed. Eir didn’t screen every game last year(and I think ROI Ulster fans in particular got a bit of a raw deal) even though the promised they would show them all, but they showed more than what was confirmed at the time the fixtures were announced.
    That’s what I thought, I couldn’t remember which matches they didn’t televise last season, I think there were a few, and perhaps one was an Ulster match.
    Their advertising and announcements say that they will show every match, so I’m hoping they don’t become even less reliable for the season coming.

Advertisement