Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyrical Leanings - The Inaugural Game

Options
  • 15-07-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Thanks to the wonderful 'tayto lover' for sponsoring this game.

There's a fantastic thread over on AH where you write out some lyrics that should give a song away, and people like it if they know what it is. If you haven't checked it out, you're missing out! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057986558&page=91

Well, we're gonna gamify it now! With the inaugural Lyrical Leanings game (please help with better names :P )

giphy.gif

How it works:

Step 1: PM me 1 line of a song lyric that you think could win you the game by having the most participants know the song.
    Step 2: I'll post the lyrics so there's a level of anonymity for the reveal.
    Step 3: Participants like lyrics that give the song away for them.
    Step 4: Profit I mean win. The winner is the participant with the most likes. All player/lyric combos will be revealed at the end of the game.

Le Rules:
    1. Only one entry per participant. If you wanna change, only your latest entry will count.
    2. Lyrics must not contain the name of the song. i.e. you can't submit 'And after all, you're my Wonderwall'
    3. Each participant should only like those lyrics that give the song away for them.
    4. Non-participants shouldn't like the lyric posts while the game is ongoing. You may like them once the winner is declared.

This is a first shot, so I'm keeping it open in terms of genre etc. And I'm sure we'll learn a few things as we go along.

Hopefully people are interested. I'd like to hit at least 15 entries before closing the signups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

And when no Hope was left in sight
    On that stary stary night

You forgot to read the op :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm in

For a completely open round I guessed I needed to press the big red button and bring out the big guns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tusk wrote: »
    You forgot to read the op :P

Sorry.

I’m in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

About 99/100 lyrics in the AH thread I didn't know so I don't expect much of me this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I am in even though I've no clue about most of the lyrics in ah...

I haven't time to review the rules or enter at the moment (will send a pm later in the day if that is ok). Thanks :)

• Advertisement

No rush I'll keep signups open for at least the week

Me Me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Entry sent in.

7 entries so far, 2 sets of 2 that are very similar...

you people are too good at sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

7 entries so far, 2 sets of 2 that are very similar...

you people are too good at sheep

Some games are good, some games are baaaaaaa'd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entry in

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In , I love this song , ye better love it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

entry sent

Do you pick a song from any year?

Do you pick a song from any year?

First game, so it's completley open. You can pick any song. The only stipulation being , it must have lyrics haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yep. Count mé in

I'm in!
    Looking for inspiration now....

Some absolutely hilarious ones in do far lads. I'm expecting a lot of high marks.

Whoever runs the next one might want to restrict the theme a bit :pac:

19 Heads in so far. Nice one

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

How many have chosen the same song? :pac:

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    How many have chosen the same song? :pac:

There's three now with the same song and 2 with another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

There's three now with the same song and 2 with another :D

But have they choosen the same line. That could be the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Kolido wrote: »
    But have they choosen the same line. That could be the difference :)

Excellent point Kolido !

Shall we choose alternate songs? Say the first in gets the original song and the others choose alternates? Or everyone choose a top song, with 2 alternates, in case the first was picked already.

There's plenty of good songs to choose from :) I am happy to change mine if needed.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Shall we choose alternate songs? Say the first in gets the original song and the others choose alternates? Or everyone choose a top song, with 2 alternates, in case the first was picked already.

There's plenty of good songs to choose from :) I am happy to change mine if needed.

I'm weary of people having to resubmit, but if you want to add an alternative just in case, then that's grand.

Maybe a rule we can implement going forward, and for future games. Good shout!

I'm weary of people having to resubmit, but if you want to add an alternative just in case, then that's grand.

Gotchya :) ... whatever makes it easier, cos I can't imagine how y'all score these things as well as you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Maybe in future games people who submit the same song get their thanks divided by the number of duplicate entries? Could add a bit of a challenge to find a unique song. Or use that rule in an alternative version.

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Maybe in future games people who submit the same song get their thanks divided by the number of duplicate entries? Could add a bit of a challenge to find a unique song. Or use that rule in an alternative version.

Oooh I like it!

Wow! 25 Sign ups so far!

I was not expecting this to take off as much :D

I'll leave sign ups open for the day. Then we can do the reveal thread tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'll post all the lyrics in the morning, and give people until the evening to get their likes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Oooh I like it!

Not this time, for I am 100% sure mine is a duplicate

Advertisement