Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best friend's wedding & her weight

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

That's a great idea about the hen party, and I think you are spot on in your approach. Hope all goes well. You are a good friend.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You are insightful, thoughtful yet respectful of her own feelings and your focus is on her being happy and reducing her stress for her. I can't really do much better than the great advice given here, but wanted to tell you I think you are a brilliant friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Weight loss is 80/20 diet / exercise. She needs to break the cycle of emotional eating. Easier said than done, but if she already has a PT and is exercising a few times a week then the weight will come off very quickly if she fixes her diet.

As others have said, perhaps it’s not realistic to be her ideal weight in time for the wedding but she could certainly make some progress. It’s definitely something that she should try to solve in the long term though because continuing to eat poorly and gain weight could have significant health implications for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I would be in a similar situation to your friend, weigh wise not wedding.

My friends would say the same, that I'm gorgeous...stunning and to be honest I don't see it and I'd imagine your friend doesn't either. What shes seeing in the mirror she doesn't like.

While the theory of losing weight is very simple. less calories and all that it sometimes doesn't work that simply.

I am seeing a counsellor in relation to post cancer treatment but it has come up with her where she has asked what if I can never lose the weight, due to medication etc that I'm on. And I honestly couldn't say if I'd ever be happy with how I look if I don't.

I think while its important to support your friend should she decide to embark on trying to lose weight but do it in a way that its achievable targets so her morale won't dip if she fails to meet them.

Also focus on other aspects, she clearly has a partner who loves her and wants all of their friends and family see them get married. Thats something we all want usually. Highlight the good things about her that aren't based on the physical, try to remove some of the focus.

Advertisement