Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Rules for buying an Induction Hob?

• 09-07-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

We're about to buy our 3rd 60cm square Induction Hob, aside from researching myself in my own little bubble I was hoping that those in the know might suggest minimum KW ratings, brands, models, other guidelines please?

My own experience with these are as below:

1st - Bosch, worked well, plenty of power (Not sure of KW rating?) until I cracked it by dropping a slippy olive oil bottle on it.

2nd - Bosch also, but cheaper model bought in haste - Power limited overall across appliance, if you turn up the power on a ring with others in use then Hob automatically cuts power to others... Not cool.

- I presume the lesson to be learned here is that there's a minimum Kw value/range that people should have in mind?

Also this second Bosch Hob is now malfunctioning after maybe 2-3 years....Pots mysteriously cooling down when least expected...Carrots taking over an hour to cook....I think this is a cheap product and engineered as such.

Finally, and this is a big consideration... I would really love to get one of these with the metal frame around it. They are indispensable as protection for cracking and chips on the vulnerable glass edge. They seem to be very hard to come by though and any I've seen have been crazy money, approx €800 (???)

If its helpful - I would tend to never pay mad money for a brand name - Equally though I avoid budget brands for key appliances like this.

Would really appreciate any help on what to buy next, thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nightwolf1

Mango Joe wrote: »
    We're about to buy our 3rd 60cm square Induction Hob, aside from researching myself in my own little bubble I was hoping that those in the know might suggest minimum KW ratings, brands, models, other guidelines please?

My own experience with these are as below:

1st - Bosch, worked well, plenty of power (Not sure of KW rating?) until I cracked it by dropping a slippy olive oil bottle on it.

2nd - Bosch also, but cheaper model bought in haste - Power limited overall across appliance, if you turn up the power on a ring with others in use then Hob automatically cuts power to others... Not cool.

- I presume the lesson to be learned here is that there's a minimum Kw value/range that people should have in mind?

Also this second Bosch Hob is now malfunctioning after maybe 2-3 years....Pots mysteriously cooling down when least expected...Carrots taking over an hour to cook....I think this is a cheap product and engineered as such.

Finally, and this is a big consideration... I would really love to get one of these with the metal frame around it. They are indispensable as protection for cracking and chips on the vulnerable glass edge. They seem to be very hard to come by though and any I've seen have been crazy money, approx €800 (???)

If its helpful - I would tend to never pay mad money for a brand name - Equally though I avoid budget brands for key appliances like this.

Would really appreciate any help on what to buy next, thanks all.

https://www.aeg.ie/kitchen/cooking/hobs/induction-hob/hk634200xb/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Nightwolf first off thanks for your reply..... However..... You've 12 posts on boards.ie, and all 12 of them seem to be recommending that people should go out and spend their money on AEG appliances.

AEG appliances that seem to be reviewed as being average to downright poor everywhere else.

I'm guessing you're somehow involved in the distribution or selling of these?

If so it's considered extremely bad form to come on a forum such as this and recommend products or services you've a stake in without declaring your own hidden interests and motivations up front.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Nightwolf first off thanks for your reply..... However..... You've 12 posts on boards.ie, and all 12 of them seem to be recommending that people should go out and spend their money on AEG appliances.

AEG appliances that seem to be reviewed as being average to downright poor everywhere else.

I'm guessing you're somehow involved in the distribution or selling of these?

If so it's considered extremely bad form to come on a forum such as this and recommend products or services you've a stake in without declaring your own hidden interests and motivations up front.

I'm a farmer the only reason I recommend aeg is because I have there appliances and never had problems I've also recommended a LG washing machine here so I guess work for LG too. Can't figure out why idiots come to this site asking for help choosing appliances them bitch about ppl working for some company when they recommend the same brand a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nightwolf1 wrote: »
    I'm a farmer the only reason I recommend aeg is because I have there appliances and never had problems I've also recommended a LG washing machine here so I guess work for LG too. Can't figure out why idiots come to this site asking for help choosing appliances them bitch about ppl working for some company when they recommend the same brand a few times

You linked to a product with no insight, opinion or advice offered to any of the OP's questions and then are surprised when they looked at your post history and asked quite politely if you worked for AEG?

But somehow, it's them that's idiot?
    Curious.

banie01 wrote: »
    You linked to a product with no insight, opinion or advice offered to any of the OP's questions and then are surprised when they looked at your post history and asked quite politely if you worked for AEG?

But somehow, it's them that's idiot?
    Curious.
    Going through old posts nobody ever seems to take advice of anyone that recommends appliances here anyway it seems pointless bothering. I've read ppl saying not to trust sales ppl in shops not to trust appliance repair ppl and now not trust ppl replying to posts here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Nightwolf1 wrote: »
    Going through old posts nobody ever seems to take advice of anyone that recommends appliances here anyway it seems pointless bothering. I've read ppl saying not to trust sales ppl in shops not to trust appliance repair ppl and now not trust ppl replying to posts here

Boards.ie has countless and varied topics from mustard to moustaches and everything else in between. You however seem to have joined the site and only ever been interested in shilling what, in my opinion, are AEGs poorly designed, executed and engineered products.

That's asking people to stretch their credulity well beyond snapping point.

All you've managed to do is bring AEGs reputation into further disrepute as decent products don't need this level of dishonesty and deceit.

- As for being a farmer, I'd be surprised if you could pick a cow out of a line-up...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Having been in the appliance trade for many moons my advice to any prospective buyer when they go shopping for appliances is find out from the salesperson where is the appliance made, who and where is the after sales service located in relation to where you live and if you are not buying on the spot Google recall on what they recommend. This will give you a good idea to go ahead with a purchase or not but generally speaking appliances made in Germany (not with a German brand name) are the best. I often see posters here recommending a brand name saying they have such a brand for 12/15 or more years but alas these appliances are no longer manufactured in the same countries any more. A lot of appliances are now made in Turkey or China at a price that is very affordable but if you deduct the shop mark up plus the distributor mark and 23% vat and shipping costs its a wonder they work at all. My advice would be buy the upper end if you can afford it and generally speaking if you treat the machine with care it will last.

Advertisement