Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identify grandfather clock

Options
  • 08-07-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to identify a grand father clock owned by a relation, if anyone knows any info it'd be much appreciated.
    Things like year made, value etc.

It looks like it says "Thomson and Douglas"

Pictures

484752.jpg

484753.jpg

484754.jpg

It's working......It has two weights, one for time and one for chime/bell.

I know nothing about grandfather clocks. My Internet searching yields nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

....recognise anything?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/style/clocks-ireland-history.html

I'm not saying it's a definite match, but you're getting closer.

I suspect a poster with the initial 'W' might be able to help.....;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very nice clock indeed ST. Not great on long case clocks TBH. Looks to be a mahogany case, so after 1750? IIRC the minutes on the dial date them more to late 18th century. Name on the arch at the top, the gold/brass corner pieces and the brass dial come from the same period. Gun to my head I'd say 1760-1800 Now I probably have the period wrong, but those features will date it, so that might help with the identification of the maker(s). What can throw it a little is clocks made in cities like say London will have a feature set earlier, while country made clocks will bring in those features later and hang onto them for longer too. Pity it doesn't have a location on it. Maybe the movement has more info like a city stamped on it somewhere? Love the date window too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It might have been made in Douglas by a clockmaker named Thompson

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31210&start=500

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good catch B. Colour me thick never considering that the placename was sitting right there in plain sight. Doh!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

https://www.clockswatches.co.uk/showpage.php?em=2122&pg=p

Found this, the last line of the description says Movement signed "And...w Thompson, London."

Seems like 'And w' to me too, it might yield some more info if you can contact them. Good luck with it

• Advertisement

OP try looking for Andrew Thompson, clockmaker or silver smith, somewhere out there in the www the info is there, keep googling, maybe add pdf to the search or look for images only.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good catch B. Colour me thick never considering that the placename was sitting right there in plain sight. Doh!

It was the way the word Douglas was written differently TBH. If Douglas and Thompson were partners why was one name bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Thanks a million everyone for the replies.
    I'll see about getting some more pictures of the movement (right term?) and the inside.

It was bought at auction for under 300 euros.

I might get in contact with the clock guy in Dublin mentioned above and the clockswatches.co.uk crowd too. I've showed so much interest in the clock I now I own it :)

Will keep ye all posted

It was bought at auction for under 300 euros.
    You jammy barsteward. :D

Advertisement