Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-07-2019, 21:14   #1
RiderOnTheStorm

I'm Turning Into My Dad

The older I get, the more I think I'm turning into my dad. I find myself saying things he used to say, and have amended my (liberal) attitude into a more conservative one.

Eg
Always commenting on everything.
Running commentary on household chores.
Young wans wear too little.
The News is now important!
In last few years, I love spending time in my garden (like he did).
I reached my level of technical competence around 40 and any major advance after that is beyond me (i get my son to sort these issues, like I did for my dad back in the day)
Driving sensibly & saving fuel is now more important than getting there quickly.

Have you got any similar musings? Are you different to your dad / mom?

Or is this just a case of what happens to us all as we get older?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-07-2019, 14:17   #2
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
The older I get, the more I think I'm turning into my dad. I find myself saying things he used to say, and have amended my (liberal) attitude into a more conservative one.

Eg
Always commenting on everything.
Running commentary on household chores.
Young wans wear too little.
The News is now important!
In last few years, I love spending time in my garden (like he did).
I reached my level of technical competence around 40 and any major advance after that is beyond me (i get my son to sort these issues, like I did for my dad back in the day)
Driving sensibly & saving fuel is now more important than getting there quickly.

Have you got any similar musings? Are you different to your dad / mom?

Or is this just a case of what happens to us all as we get older?
Maybe just... growing up
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2019, 14:24   #3
xieann

I'm 47 He's 84. ANYTHING that has to be printed out to hardcopy, guess what I'm the print shop - operating a consumer Epson inkjet printer for him. Oh, and I use it to for my photos. His is always emails.
Thanks from:
05-07-2019, 13:50   #4
RiderOnTheStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Maybe just... growing up
Yup, I suppose so. Could be worse ...... I could be turning into my mother!
10-07-2019, 12:51   #5
Eph1958

I know exactly how you feel. With me it's made worse each time I hear "you're exactly like your da" or "you sound exactly like you da". But you know the job is complete when .........you keep the piece of stick you used to stir the paint......., until the next time it's needed!!!!!

Eph.
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 19:03   #6
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph1958 View Post
I know exactly how you feel. With me it's made worse each time I hear "you're exactly like your da" or "you sound exactly like you da". But you know the job is complete when .........you keep the piece of stick you used to stir the paint......., until the next time it's needed!!!!!
Eph.
But, I've been doing that since I was a young teenager. Those sticks are hard to come by when you don't have a woodworking individual in the family!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Doesn't everyone have that stick?
10-07-2019, 19:06   #7
Srameen

Not that too many who remember my dad are still alive but now and again I'm told I have his demeanour and attitude to life. I take that as a huge compliment.
(4) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:09   #8
Jellybaby1

In the meantime, I take enormous pleasure in hearing my adult children repeating things I've said to them over the last few decades. And I let them think it's all their own ideas and opinions!! Har! Har!
(5) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:27   #9
Deja Boo

I see more and more of my mom in the mirror. Almost can feel like what she must've felt like at times. I haven't decided if it's a good or bad thing, it must just be how genetics work.
Advertisement
16-07-2019, 13:42   #10
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph1958 View Post

Eph.
When you have a drawer with a bag in it labelled" pieces of string too short to use" you will know the tranformation is complete.
(2) thanks from:
16-07-2019, 15:30   #11
Eph1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
When you have a drawer with a bag in it labelled" pieces of string too short to use" you will know the tranformation is complete.

Reminds me of the old Monty Python sketch.... "New Simpsons individual stringettes.............. as used in hospitals!!!!!
16-07-2019, 16:04   #12
MiliMe

Since I've had children i see myself turning into my mother. Need to work on that.
16-07-2019, 17:28   #13
looksee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiliMe View Post
Since I've had children i see myself turning into my mother. Need to work on that.
Why? Did she not do a good job on you?
Thanks from:
16-07-2019, 17:31   #14
NSAman

If I turn out half as good as my Father (God Rest his soul) I would be happy.

Yep, I am into Gardening (he wasn't), Yep I am into building (he couldn't screw in a light bulb), Yes I am into design (he was colour blind)

The one thing that I am proud to say, no one ever had a bad word to say about him. He helped anyone, in anyway he could. I hope I have the same traits...
16-07-2019, 18:01   #15
MiliMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Why? Did she not do a good job on you?
Well its debatable. Haha

She is a good mam and a great nanny but she's hard work and super antisocial which has lead to her being quite lonely in her later years and depends on us children to keep her company.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion