Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI! - heading back to first year in college again!

• 19-06-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all,

Repeated my leaving Cert in the hope to get an extra few points and get primary teaching. I was around 30 points off last year.

I went to college for a couple of weeks last year and attended a guidance meeting near the end of September where I decided I would go home and repeat my leaving.

Now this is where it gets interesting.. I verbally asked to be withdrew from DCU on the 26th of September 2018 and I still hadn’t received confirmation by the 10th of October so I Emailed hem! They then drew up my withdrawal letter and emailed it to me with the date of 10th October on it.

Susi have now only awarded me 7/9 of the maintenance grant and 7/9 of the fees even though I DID NOT RECEIVE ONE PENNY FROM THEM FOR OCTOBER!!! I only received Septembers payment but they are arguing that I was still registered in the college until 10th of October - THIS WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF MY CONTROL! And once again I will clarify I did not receive one penny for October but they still won’t pay it.

Any advice? Dcu aren’t bothered changing the date on the withdrawal form either even though they only drew it up when I asked a second time! So fuming! Can’t possibly survive without the October payment either , I understand September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

Hey all,

Repeated my leaving Cert in the hope to get an extra few points and get primary teaching. I was around 30 points off last year.

I went to college for a couple of weeks last year and attended a guidance meeting near the end of September where I decided I would go home and repeat my leaving.

Now this is where it gets interesting.. I verbally asked to be withdrew from DCU on the 26th of September 2018 and I still hadn’t received confirmation by the 10th of October so I Emailed hem! They then drew up my withdrawal letter and emailed it to me with the date of 10th October on it.

Susi have now only awarded me 7/9 of the maintenance grant and 7/9 of the fees even though I DID NOT RECEIVE ONE PENNY FROM THEM FOR OCTOBER!!! I only received Septembers payment but they are arguing that I was still registered in the college until 10th of October - THIS WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF MY CONTROL! And once again I will clarify I did not receive one penny for October but they still won’t pay it.

Any advice? Dcu aren’t bothered changing the date on the withdrawal form either even though they only drew it up when I asked a second time! So fuming! Can’t possibly survive without the October payment either , I understand September.

You have the right to appeal the SUSI decision. As you didn't receive the October maintenance payment last year, it seems unjust that they won't give it to you for the new course.

Regarding the fee payment, you are probably out of luck unfortunately. SUSI will have paid out the fee payment last year based on the information provided by DCU. You could try making a complaint to DCU.

What is the official withdrawal procedure? It should have been detailed in your course handbook or somewhere on the DCU website. The reason i ask is that usually a verbal statement of withdrawal is not valid in most colleges, and it must usually be in writing (sometimes there is a specific form to fill out). If the college has a mandatory procedure that you didn't follow, you will not have grounds to appeal. If, however, they state that verbal communication of withdrawing is valid, it is worth pressing them further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lilmissmanu

LW3112 wrote: »
    You have the right to appeal the SUSI decision. As you didn't receive the October maintenance payment last year, it seems unjust that they won't give it to you for the new course.

Regarding the fee payment, you are probably out of luck unfortunately. SUSI will have paid out the fee payment last year based on the information provided by DCU. You could try making a complaint to DCU.

What is the official withdrawal procedure? It should have been detailed in your course handbook or somewhere on the DCU website. The reason i ask is that usually a verbal statement of withdrawal is not valid in most colleges, and it must usually be in writing (sometimes there is a specific form to fill out). If the college has a mandatory procedure that you didn't follow, you will not have grounds to appeal. If, however, they state that verbal communication of withdrawing is valid, it is worth pressing them further.

Thanks so much for your reply! I spoke with a women in the registry and she confirmed that I had then been withdrawn from the college (on the 26th sep!!)

It’s so unfair that they won’t pay the October payment it’s so confusing as to why , basically saying I can’t get it because I was still in the college? But I did not receive any money!! So weird how they can just keep it? I would have been better off taking it last year if that’s the case..

I wouldn’t mind but I’m eligible for the special rate grant .. so annoying .. missing out on about 670 unless I get it .. il look up the withdrawal procedure now but hopefully I can argue that I was told my dcu staff that they would send the letter by email! I followed all procedures and am being punished!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lilmissmanu

LW3112 wrote: »

APPEAL SUCCESSFUL! Thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

APPEAL SUCCESSFUL! Thank u

Great news. Best of luck in college!

Advertisement