Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Lighted Advent Calendar ?

• 13-06-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this in a Hallmark film and wondered how to make something similar.

What I like about it is, that the image is lit from behind and painted scenes catching the light. (But I am not into the log cabin look.)

Just wondering how I might go about making a similar advent to use year after year. I assume some materials (like clear plastic sheets) might warp from the heat of twinkle lights. I have some stained glass paint, but it probably won't create fine images for small windows (like in the film).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I saw this in a Hallmark film and wondered how to make something similar.

What I like about it is, that the image is lit from behind and painted scenes catching the light. (But I am not into the log cabin look.)

Just wondering how I might go about making a similar advent to use year after year. I assume some materials (like clear plastic sheets) might warp from the heat of twinkle lights. I have some stained glass paint, but it probably won't create fine images for small windows (like in the film).

Any ideas?

LED lights give off next to no heat so I wouldn't be too worried about warping. Do you want to create something from scratch or light a wooden or other 3d calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Caranica wrote: »
    LED lights give off next to no heat so I wouldn't be too worried about warping. Do you want to create something from scratch or light a wooden or other 3d calendar?

Thanks Caranica, my tree lights seem to heat a bit, so I wasn't sure. :o

Oh, hmmm - matters not if I make it from scratch or light a wooden or 3d calendar, I've just never seen a calendar like that and liked the look of it :) and wasn't sure how to go about creating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Thanks Caranica, my tree lights seem to heat a bit, so I wasn't sure. :o

Oh, hmmm - matters not if I make it from scratch or light a wooden or 3d calendar, I've just never seen a calendar like that and liked the look of it :) and wasn't sure how to go about creating one.
    I'm not crafty but I'm thinking a wooden one, and drop in a sheet of perspex to give a gap to light and draw/stick the image on the perspex? You'd have to make an incision in all the drawers to allow the perspex to pass through

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm not crafty but I'm thinking a wooden one, and drop in a sheet of perspex to give a gap to light and draw/stick the image on the perspex? You'd have to make an incision in all the drawers to allow the perspex to pass through

Thanks Caranica! (I am not terribly crafty myself)
    That sounds like a solid idea, ta! :)

Advertisement