Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about league play

• 11-06-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Do you play league?
    DLTC, Munster League, Ulster League?
    Is there an inter club league Connacht?
    Would you play an All Ireland League if it meant travelling far to play for your club?
    What format do you think is best
    - 3 pairs of doubles
    - 3 singles and 2 pairs of doubles
    - 2 singles and a doubles
    - other suggestions?
    Any rule suggestions you would change or implement to the leagues you have played?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I play Munster League, it's fun even though you have to give up your weekends.

I'm not sure but I don't think Connacht have a thing, not enough clubs around. But maybe someone can correct me.

An all Ireland league would be fun but logistically impossible I'd say. Travelling down to Cork is already bad enough. Lots of late night getting back with work in the morning is tough. And it's a long car ride back if you lose!

Formats need to be weighted towards doubles I think to make it worth most people's while and get volunteers. As it is Grades 6 to 3 are all 2 pairs of doubles and then at grade 2 they throw in a couple of singles too I think.

As for changes, nothing that would actually be feasible to implement, so no. Considering it's more or less the players themselves that run it, things are OK. Here in Munster at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Hi Rob
    Thanks for reply.
    Im surprised the league has just two pairs of doubles. So match could be tied 1-1.
    It would make life easier to just have to get four players.
    DLTC league have three pairs of doubles or two doubles and three singles for summer league. Hardest part is filling the team each week as it’s rare the named team are all available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I play league in the DLTC.

I would play an all Ireland league as a once off if we qualified from Leinster but we'd need some sort of compensation for travelling expenses I think. Don't think I'd do it regularly.

Think 3 singles 2 doubles works well.

I'd agree just getting a team together is the hardest part.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thanks for reply.

Do you think your club would compensate the team for the travel expenses?

Do you mind me asking what class you play? and what club?

I fully undersatnd if you dont want to give too much away.

shutup wrote: »
    Hi Rob
    Thanks for reply.
    Im surprised the league has just two pairs of doubles. So match could be tied 1-1.
    It would make life easier to just have to get four players.

Oh no sorry, that's what I mean. Two pairs each club. So a four man team as you say.

A match could be tied 2-2, then you play a super set to decide it.

• Advertisement

So all the experts in the other threads can disect the intricacies of top level professional tennis but nobody plays league of any level?

So all the experts in the other threads can disect the intricacies of top level professional tennis but nobody plays league of any level?

League is over now, we can all go back to criticizing the pro's ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not for everyone. Some of us made play offs!
    Did you play?

Not for everyone. Some of us made play offs!
    Did you play?

Ah yes of course!

Well done.

Yeah I played league down in lowly class 7.

First time playing it and I enjoyed it, might do it again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Interesting suggestion and one that should be supported and encouraged. However, before we get buried in a discussion on logistics and expenses how about a creative approach. Use part of what Davis Cup or Fed Cup do in lower divisions and what the InterPros do here and what the inter-University event do too.

So here is the suggestion:
    - clubs who win their class in their region/league (Munster leagues, DLTC, Provincial Towns, Belfast and District League etc.) qualify. I am sure Connaught could sort something
    - teams assemble on a weekend (bank holiday??)
    - small group round robin on Friday/Saturday/Sunday
    - finals matchs on Monday - this would include all teams so you end up with a 1st/2nd final as well as a 5th/6th placed playoff type thing (think Rugby 7s format)

- teams could be of whatever format is practical. In DLTC Winter, Mixed and Senior league are 3 doubles pairings, Summer is 3 singles and 2 doubles and Floodlight is 4 players with a draw on the night for 2 singles and one doubles match. So all are possible. I am not 100% sure but Belfast league is 2 men's doubles, 2 ladies and then they make up mixed and score is based on sets/games

This could be done it just takes TI and the various league organisers to back it and a large enough club to host as you would need quite a few courts

Finally regarding rule change - the grading in DLTC is as best as they can do without TI getting the finger out regarding a national standardised rating system (What do we pay capitation for???). With the correct rating system league play would be fairer and balanced.

Has anyone else noticed the league participation appears to be reducing in DLTC? Are clubs not entering? Are clubs disappearing?

Sorry so long. Congrats to anyone playing playoffs this week - I was on a team that missed out by 1 point. Roll on next campaign!!

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Nothing wrong with class 7. Glad you enjoed it.
    Next legue is 35s if youre old enough.
    A lot of people stress about it at the start but its nothing to worry about. Just another game of tennis.

Finally regarding rule change - the grading in DLTC is as best as they can do without TI getting the finger out regarding a national standardised rating system (What do we pay capitation for???). With the correct rating system league play would be fairer and balanced.

Has anyone else noticed the league participation appears to be reducing in DLTC? Are clubs not entering? Are clubs disappearing?

A rating system wouldn’t work or even be fair. I understand the frustrations of being hammered by players who are too strong for a class they play in but imagine this situation. I join a club who’s first team is class 3, but I’m class 1 level. Does that mean I’m not able to play league and help my club get promotion?

Yes I think there are less teams entered. Clubs are not disappearing but the big clubs don’t enter as many teams. People don’t have the time to commit any more.

NewWheels wrote: »
    Interesting suggestion and one that should be supported and encouraged. However, before we get buried in a discussion on logistics and expenses how about a creative approach. Use part of what Davis Cup or Fed Cup do in lower divisions and what the InterPros do here and what the inter-University event do too.

So here is the suggestion:
    - clubs who win their class in their region/league (Munster leagues, DLTC, Provincial Towns, Belfast and District League etc.) qualify. I am sure Connaught could sort something
    - teams assemble on a weekend (bank holiday??)
    - small group round robin on Friday/Saturday/Sunday
    - finals matchs on Monday - this would include all teams so you end up with a 1st/2nd final as well as a 5th/6th placed playoff type thing (think Rugby 7s format)

- teams could be of whatever format is practical. In DLTC Winter, Mixed and Senior league are 3 doubles pairings, Summer is 3 singles and 2 doubles and Floodlight is 4 players with a draw on the night for 2 singles and one doubles match. So all are possible. I am not 100% sure but Belfast league is 2 men's doubles, 2 ladies and then they make up mixed and score is based on sets/games

This could be done it just takes TI and the various league organisers to back it and a large enough club to host as you would need quite a few courts

Sorry so long. Congrats to anyone playing playoffs this week - I was on a team that missed out by 1 point. Roll on next campaign!!

Thanks for feedback. Would be a great weekend if competition

Not for us, Munster Summer league is just starting!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

A rating system wouldn’t work or even be fair. I understand the frustrations of being hammered by players who are too strong for a class they play in but imagine this situation. I join a club who’s first team is class 3, but I’m class 1 level. Does that mean I’m not able to play league and help my club get promotion?

Yes I think there are less teams entered. Clubs are not disappearing but the big clubs don’t enter as many teams. People don’t have the time to commit any more.

Could not agree with you more re change club = change your rating. Sure you could also add in internal politics and you change grade!!! I was class 3 last year and this year 5. Not sure I disimproved that much in 12 months :)

Regarding the rating system and its use in leagues - I believe that badminton leagues are formed based on the teams entered and the grade of the individuals. Unlike DLTC leagues where the club is put in a class first (think blue sheets printed before names entered) and the local Captain then puts he teams together. Just may be worth looking at.

Advertisement